Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rare and Unusual Score

This afternoon, I was looking at Facebook, and saw a Free to a good home post. Local keyboard player, who almost replaced me in a band I had been in had some amps that he wanted to give away.

Peavey KB300

Peavey KB100

Acoustic 117 (with a Black Widow)

I was the second person to respond to him, so I didn't get the KB300, but I did get the KB100 and the Acoustic.

After I contacted him, and said I would take those amps, he sent me a picture of a keyboard he had purchased in 1979, and has been in his attic for the past 30 years. Needs a new power switch, but that should be a simple fix.

It was a 1965 Ace Tone Phenix (it's in my truck right now, Pics to follow). 49 note F - F Also known as the TOP-3. It's in pretty good shape, visually. Need to see if the legs are there, but not a big deal. I have an X-stand that I can put it on. Weighs about the same as my SK2.

Klonk Here

Knobs: Volume, Vibrato

Tabs: Flute, Organ, Reed, Strings, Vibrato On/Off

I did a little research, and found that Ace Tone was started by Ikutaro Kakehashi, the founder of Roland.

I am really hoping it has that transistor organ sound, as we're going to be playing some songs that it would sound perfect on. I even know where I'll put it in my setup, to my left hand under my mixer and my Vent.

It will be coming out of the truck and into my office tomorrow, and I'll get some pics. I need to go to the local electronic supply store to get the replacement power switch and break out my solder iron.

I got all of them sight unheard. I figured if they don't work, I'm only out the gas money.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm thinking it would be perfect for "Crocodile Rock", which my bass player wants to do.

Willie Dixon

Old semi-obscure boards can be quite interesting. Make sure you try running it through some effects; makes a massive difference on my old Kimball Valencia III that I inherited. Makes it much more useful.

Congratulations, and have fun! :thu:

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76| Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT, Kurzweil PC4 (88)

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Congratulations on your new keyboard. :)

(I did, however, keep expecting to get to the bit where you mentioned about the sheet music which the guy slipped in...) :D

"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

Old semi-obscure boards can be quite interesting. Make sure you try running it through some effects; makes a massive difference on my old Kimball Valencia III that I inherited. Makes it much more useful.

I had thought about submixing it with my Hammond, then running it through the Vent, but that would defeat the purpose of the transistor organ sound.

My new Yamaha MG10XU board has built in effects, so I'll try it with that.

Willie Dixon

Worst case, if the Black Widow is in decent condition you can flip it on craigslist. I recently got $60 for one that came out of a dead Peavey Bass amp.

The Combo 300 is a nice amp if you have a place you can set it and leave it. Should have had a trailer hitch and wheels installed from the factory.

I used to use one for a bass amp, got tired of moving it. Even with a dolly it's big and heavy and it won't get into your car on it's own or up on stage. Probably better off that it was already gone.

Cool organ though!!!!!!

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Congratulations on your new keyboard. :)

(I did, however, keep expecting to get to the bit where you mentioned about the sheet music which the guy slipped in...) :D

I was thinking the same thing - what does this have to do with sheet music? Doh!

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

Sounds like a fun score. Take it and run.

Free stuff is always a turn-on. I got the Fatar keybed that I use in the MIDI controller that I built as part of a free Kurzweil K2500 (sadly the Kurzweil was not repairable). I also got a Rode mic for free off Craig's List. The battery connectors were corroded, but since it could also run off of phantom power, I was good to go even if the contacts didn't clean up. I cleaned them, but never have gotten around to trying a battery since it works just fine powered off my board. As part of the mic lot I also got several other things, including an effects pedal that I sold for the better part of a hundred bucks, so that paid for my gas money and then some.

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

I did a little research, and found that Ace Tone was started by Ikutaro Kakehashi, the founder of Roland.

I am really hoping it has that transistor organ sound.

Yes, indeed, it does.

vTP10n.jpg

I didn"t know Steve Buscemi got his start as a model.

Kurzweil PC4, Expressive E Osmose, UNO Synth Pro, Hammond B-3X on iPad, Rhodes Mark II Stage 73, ART 710-A MK4s

I always thought Acetone was an unfortunate name for an "organ" company, but then again, they did eventually dissolve.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I had thought about submixing it with my Hammond, then running it through the Vent, but that would defeat the purpose of the transistor organ sound.

My new Yamaha MG10XU board has built in effects, so I'll try it with that.

That's exactly what I used with the Kimball. :thu:

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76| Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT, Kurzweil PC4 (88)

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments