Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Band Cancels Events

I honestly feel none of us should be playing a single gig, anywhere, and people should be thinking past this month's bottom line.

Hmm. I shouldn't play in a restaurant that's open, serving customers? Or a Country Club resort, that has 97% room occupancy? Or Church? I'll take my chances. Also, if I don't get it now, I likely will next time around, when I may not be able to miss work as easily.

250 People seems to be the cutoff point for 'safe' socializing, so I just keep count, and leave the gig when the 249th person walks in. : )

It's not your chances you're taking, though. You'll be fine either way. It's the outcomes of others you inadvertently pass it to. The only way to keep it spreading too fast, too soon, is through social distancing early on. If you get it later on, you won't contribute to the overwhelming of the system right now. That's the goal. We are collateral damage on the way, but the long view says we all need to be home right now.

Heartily agree with Josh here. A good read on the subject.

And a little gif to help simplify the point. Someone can maybe help me out and make this appear while also teaching me how to do it and I can fish/gif on forever. https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Covid-19-curves-graphic-social-v3.gif

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This morning Gov Cuomo of New York was on Fox News and I watched his news conference. I live in CA but this is the best clear, very precise explanation of the how and why of what's going on with school closures, large gatherings etc I've seen. And not a political comment anywhere which is unusual for him. That shows how seriously he's taking this. This is the thinking of every government the world over right now, all over the US, Europe, everywhere. Slow the spread of this so we don't overwhelm the healthcare system. He's saying a certain percentage of the population is going to get this, the issue is over what period of time. Nobody has any idea of what that percentage will be right now.

[video:youtube]

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

Newsome just called for the closing of bars....and the bad music that goes along with them... :laugh::thu:

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-03-15/la-me-coronavirus-california-news?fbclid=IwAR3GtD84tqD6zvXfpg_gG4idpXXs-LwOHAE9w84Hn2pnIbRsD7IMeMKIVgA

Actually he's just suggesting they close. However there is a "cease and desist" mandate on the bad music one can be subjected to in these type of places. :thu:

Wow.

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

IL is closing all bars and restaurants and St. Louis is banning social gatherings over 50 people....so local bands are pretty much screwed for the foreseeable future.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Sorry in advance if this offends anyone but I thought it offered a gentler view on a horrible situation...

Brother Richard Hendrick, a Capuchin Franciscan living in Ireland, has penned a touching poem about coronavirus.

Lockdown

Yes there is fear.

Yes there is isolation.

Yes there is panic buying.

Yes there is sickness.

Yes there is even death.

But,

They say that in Wuhan after so many years of noise

You can hear the birds again.

They say that after just a few weeks of quiet

The sky is no longer thick with fumes

But blue and grey and clear.

They say that in the streets of Assisi

People are singing to each other

across the empty squares,

keeping their windows open

so that those who are alone

may hear the sounds of family around them.

They say that a hotel in the West of Ireland

Is offering free meals and delivery to the housebound.

Today a young woman I know

is busy spreading fliers with her number

through the neighborhood

So that the elders may have someone to call on.

Today Churches, Synagogues, Mosques and Temples

are preparing to welcome

and shelter the homeless, the sick, the weary

All over the world people are slowing down and reflecting

All over the world people are looking at their neighbours in a new way

All over the world people are waking up to a new reality

To how big we really are.

To how little control we really have.

To what really matters.

To Love.

So we pray and we remember that

Yes there is fear.

But there does not have to be hate.

Yes there is isolation.

But there does not have to be loneliness.

Yes there is panic buying.

But there does not have to be meanness.

Yes there is sickness.

But there does not have to be disease of the soul

Yes there is even death.

But there can always be a rebirth of love.

Wake to the choices you make as to how to live now.

Today, breathe.

Listen, behind the factory noises of your panic

The birds are singing again

The sky is clearing,

Spring is coming,

And we are always encompassed by Love.

Open the windows of your soul

And though you may not be able

to touch across the empty square,

Sing.

Kurzweil Forte 7, PC3, PC4, Hydrasynth, Kronos 61, UltraNova, Rhodes, Clavinet D6, MiniMoog, GSI Burn, ELX112Ps, SpaceStation, Assorted Weapons

The leader of the main bar band I play with here in Vegas is an MD (his wife is too) so he's dealing with COVID-19 up close and personal. He took the bull by the horns and proactively a cancelled a gig next weekend in a small restaurant / microbrewery in Boulder City. He's also thinking about not waiting and cancelling a couple of gigs at small clubs in early-mid April. About two weeks ago he turned down a last-minute gig hosting the Las Vegas Blues Society this past Sunday night at a dive bar. His words were "I will not expose the members of this band to a Petri Dish for infectious diseases in the midst of what's going on". He said he doesn't care if some of these clubs don't hire his band back in the future given the gravity of the current situation. FWIW... The band is filled with old farts with four of the five members over 60.

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

Governor Kate shut Oregon down this afternoon. It was weird because she said she wasn't going to "yet" in the morning, but I guess the President's news conference gave her the cover to go for it.

I was hiking Neahkahnie Mountain and didn't find out until driving home. On the way I swung by my Thursday club - which was Friday busy on a Monday night. Only one bartender, and she was pouring like mad.

For me this is a huge relief. No more stressing over what to do. It's been done for me.

My gig last saturday got cancelled. sunday I did the blues jam but our attendance was about half of normal. Now the gov has shut down everything. Luckily this was a slow period for me gig wise, only 1 on the 27th, and 1 on 4/3 then nothing til May. Hopefully things get normal by then as i have 6 gigs in May.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

For me this is a huge relief. No more stressing over what to do. It's been done for me.

Beyond giving us all cover to act prudently, this is basically the problem with private industry in times of crisis. Nobody wants to stick their neck out and be the one to cost the company money when there is even a little bit of uncertainty over how bad things might get. Everybody bags on "big government" but without it telling these companies what to do they tend to be ineffective. I've been reading about what some hospitals are doing --or not doing--and it's pathetic. There doesn't seem to be much preparation for large-scale infection. Masks are already short. And it's not like we can't SEE what's happening in Italy.

My friend's son, a pretty high-level manager in a local company, basically said "I'm sending my people home, they can work from there." The other managers were arguing that we all needed to get together in a room and discuss first (brilliant...) He said, f that. He's taking a risk being a stand-up guy in corporate culture, because nobody above him was standing up and saying this needed to be done. Ironically, if things turn out not so bad in our area, I imagine he could be in trouble over this.

Well the big company I work for cancel's events, required permission for air travel, and had everybody working from home well before the government dictated it. So I don't think you can make broad generalizations. I generally don't care for "one size fits all" guidelines. Someplace with high population densities and busy airport hubs may need to impose different restrictions than some farming community who hasn't seen an outsider in quite some time.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Beyond giving us all cover to act prudently, this is basically the problem with private industry in times of crisis. Nobody wants to stick their neck out and be the one to cost the company money when there is even a little bit of uncertainty over how bad things might get. Everybody bags on "big government" but without it telling these companies what to do they tend to be ineffective.

This isn't the way I was thinking about it at all. I don't need the money. I've never met the owner. I don't give a rats ass about her. I was continuing this show for the staff - all under 35 including the manager. It's their livelihood, and in the very unlikely event that they contracted Covid-19 all they would have exhibited would have been mild symptoms or none at all.

So what we're doing is forcing our youngest (including our kids and grandkids) to sacrifice their livelihood so that we may live. It's a bit of an ethical dilemma, and at this point I'm questioning if it makes much sense for our area. There are only 39 confirmed cases in the entire state, and none within 100 miles of here.

Beyond giving us all cover to act prudently, this is basically the problem with private industry in times of crisis. Nobody wants to stick their neck out and be the one to cost the company money when there is even a little bit of uncertainty over how bad things might get. Everybody bags on "big government" but without it telling these companies what to do they tend to be ineffective.

This isn't the way I was thinking about it at all. I don't need the money. I've never met the owner. I don't give a rats ass about her. I was continuing this show for the staff - all under 35 including the manager. It's their livelihood, and in the very unlikely event that they contracted Covid-19 all they would have exhibited would have been mild symptoms or none at all.

So what we're doing is forcing our youngest (including our kids and grandkids) to sacrifice their livelihood so that we may live. It's a bit of an ethical dilemma, and at this point I'm questioning if it makes much sense for our area. There are only 39 confirmed cases in the entire state, and none within 100 miles of here.

Sorry, not to be facetious, but anyone under 35 without a trust fund is pretty used to being shit on economically. Time to stay home and lobby for changes that we aren't allowed to discuss here.

I just had a bad argument with a friend who is taking the "entitled" approach of, "I can make my own decisions." Of course you can. But if you bust the guidelines, you are not making your own decision, you are making a decision for someone you don't even know, many miles away, who didn't ask you to decide for them that it was ok for them to be gravely ill so that you don't have to break your preferred routine.

Stay. Home.

Period.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com