Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Solina String Ensemble - by... Behringer

The SE that is demo'd is the last of five versions that were produced. They changed designs because of obsolete components. The CLASSIC sound you hear on all the famous 70s records is the FIRST version (and I've got one on my bench). The time of the last version, the entire audio path including the chorus ensemble effect had been changed and it no longer sounds like the classic.

If B******** clones that one, they're doing it wrong. And I don't care for the Small Stone phaser on the SE.

The original was not just good at "string sounds"; you could get pad sounds that were ethereal sounding. Very unique. Maybe they were outclassed by polyphonics and samplers, but I've never heard an accurate emulation of the SE.

• 2 years later...

2 minutes ago, CyberGene said:

There’s a nice and inexpensive iOS app called Alina Stting Ensemble I’ve been using for a while.

I was reading about Alina. Some commenters said that notes would cut off at times. Is that been fixed? Or not a noticeable problem?

FunMachine.

44 minutes ago, Jr. Deluxe said:

Some commenters said that notes would cut off at times. Is that been fixed?

Well, I personally reported an “issue” which I’m not sure if it’s really an issue or because the original was like that and they replied it’s what it is and they won’t fix it. Sounded like they knew it was an issue. 

Basically, when you increase the “crescendo” to a high value (a slow attack) and also increase the “sustain length” (slow release) and play a note, release it and play another note, it would cut the first one. Sounds like it has one envelope for all notes and so the first note is abruptly cut. Kind of logical but I read that original ARP Solina had separate envelopes for each of the 12 base notes, so that should happen only if you play octaves. Here’s an example:

I used to own the original. I actually GAVE IT AWAY FOR FREE back in the mid 80s. I currently own no shortage of software that does a pretty credible job of filling the same musical space. 

That being said, if the price was right, given that it's so small, I might consider it for the studio and fun.

You want me to start this song too slow or too fast?

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

I lightly hate to say so, but its a solid design when you consider things like the phaser input or MIDI + USB. Of course, those sounds are far too easy to emulate in many other ways to make it seem like a need, unless you have a Kebu-like jones for original hardware designs. I prefer my own blends for synth strings. The Solina instantly shifts me into a listening mode of the period, such as Pink Floyd's "Animals." I enjoy many things that employ one, but its a locked-in sound for me.

Frankly, I'm more curious about who will be the first to solve a decent chunk of the chip problem. You know that any manufacturer who can is gearing up for a slice of that. Behringer won't be their first customer, either, but maybe the 12th.

• Like 1

Lab Mode splits between contemplative work and furious experiments.
Both of which require you to stay the hell away from everyone else.
This is a feature, not a bug.
Kraftwerk’s studio lab, Kling Klang,
 didn’t even have a working phone in it.
       ~ Warren Ellis

15 hours ago, Iconoclast said:

I currently own no shortage of software that does a pretty credible job of filling the same musical space. 

I sold my refurbished Solina in 2021. It was a very heavy, not particularly well built keyboard. Don't miss it, but I have a close friend nearby where I live who is keeping his forever, he says. I have owned G Force VSM for about 10 years now. If you don't need/want hardware, this will do it for you. (Not affiliated in any way)

https://www.gforcesoftware.com/products/vsm/

:nopity:

Does this have a vocoder in it?  If so, I might buy it just for that reason.   It's the main reason I haven't picked up a waldorf tabletop.

I realize Behringer has the vc-430 or whatever it is, but I really would want a tabletop format.

My Modx has a vocoder but I'm pretty underwhelmed by it in testing.

4 hours ago, Doerfler said:

I sold my refurbished Solina in 2021. It was a very heavy, not particularly well built keyboard. Don't miss it, but I have a close friend nearby where I live who is keeping his forever, he says. I have owned G Force VSM for about 10 years now. If you don't need/want hardware, this will do it for you. (Not affiliated in any way)

https://www.gforcesoftware.com/products/vsm/

Unfortunately GeForce vsm isn't available on iPad. 

FunMachine.