Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

KORG DS-1H Pedal Quality Control!

I've owned several of these over the years and most of them seem to have a problem with sending less than 37 as a CC value in the up position. I currently have 3 of them, literally just got a new one out of the box 5 minutes ago, and only one of them actually sends 0-127. The other two send a minimum value of 37-41, and I had this problem with other ones I'd owned.

Certain VST need to see a lower value than that to send a sustain-off message. Alchemy and EXS-24 are two that I seem to have issues with. Also, I have a nord Stage 3 that doesn't seem to like this behaviour, only in the opposite direction! Seems to take a double pedal push to activate sustain.

My one DS-1H pedal that sends 0-127 smoothly works great with everything, but I literally just ordered a new one and it came out of the box sending only 41-127.

Yes, I could (and have) re-map the curve for those programs in mainstage so that 45 or so is the new zero...Or they could just make a pedal that consistently sends 0 when released.

Anyone else having this issue? Can you recommend a continuous pedal that doesn't cost an arm and a leg that works?

You want me to start this song too slow or too fast?

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Typically running through a Kurzweil Forte or Nord Stage 3. It doesn't seem to phase the Forte but if I'm using Mainstage through either instrument it can be a big issue with certain VST's.

I haven't tried reversing the tip and ring.

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

I'm measuring the values right off of Mainstage, it shows and records what values were sent.

Remember that the pedal have a half-damper function and therefore a stereo jack. That might confuse your measured vaalues, based on how it are set up with your keyboard.

Exactly! I refer you this thread. If you open up the link in the initial post and are able to decipher the secret code you'll see that the DS-1H is listed as a Type II pedal. At the top of that column you'll also see that Type II (wiper to ring) is not compatible with Kurzweil but is with Nord since most Nord boards internally allows you to select the polarity.

So what I recommend is that you try the Nord and if you're not getting the full range try changing the polarity setting.

The Kurzweil Forte may have the same midi utility that the PC3x has ( under Master menu). If so try the pedal with the Forte while viewing the midi screen. If you see funny values happening than you need to reverse the polarity of the plug.

Are there alternatives on the market? I was sure that at least one other Japanese firm made a pedal that works in this way. Roland? Yamaha?

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

• 3 years later...
On 2/23/2020 at 10:56 PM, Iconoclast said:

My one DS-1H pedal that sends 0-127 smoothly works great with everything, but I literally just ordered a new one and it came out of the box sending only 41-127.

Does the DS-1H indeed send all those intermediate values?

Had read somewhere else that it would just be three: full / half / minimum, by means of an open / halfway-by-one-resistor / closed circuit, but it must be a potmeter then?
Anybody can confirm or correct?

Thanks!