Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

My next music purchase: a house

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just found this thread.

Sam that's a great house with great studio space.

I've been renting a house for 14 years. Due to the b!tch who damaged my credit history during the divorce, I couldn't qualify for a mortgage right away. The rental house has 3 acres of land here. I enjoy the space between neighbors but it is way too much work to mow the lawn. So my ideal landscape would be 2-3 acres and would only be partially developed no more than 1/2 acre. I'm a country boy who likes the tranquil environment, gotta have a place that isn't near a highway, airport, or railroad tracks. Don't want state roads where there is noisy truck traffic. Also want a place that won't be vulnerable to flooding, that happened to me once.

After 30 years I want the studio out of the basement where I can enjoy making music in the sunlight. I could be happy with the studio space like yours, even though it's the basement there is ample sunlight. I can also use shelve storage like that. Besides my music books and materials, I inherited my Dad's collection of train books, negatives, photos, maps, and other historical materials.

I inherited mom's interior decorating skills so they will come in handy for my place. I'm saving $$$ for my own house. I've been putting a lot of thought into the "ideal features" of my potential house so seeing pictures like yours gives me ideas.

As for that bay window... DON'T put the piano there. You DO NOT want a piano next to a window in direct sunlight or close to temperature changes unless you enjoy frequent piano tunings and key/action bushings expanding.

I'm currently single and live alone but I'm open to the right woman in the future. If that happens, then it's time to build a separate structure dedicated to the studio. I prefer to monitor over speakers and there's no way to completely isolate the sound without disturbing others in the house. Headphones are not an option. With a separate structure the sound is completely isolated and I can play whenever I want and not worry that playing the same song 300 times is going to drive the occupants crazy.

Congratulations! My parents' last house purchase was a mess too...the previous home, which had been paid off fifteen years earlier, still had a line of credit that was offered by the mortgage company at the time, but was never used (so there was no debt or anything, again it had been paid off for fifteen years). The company couldn't get it straight that the line of credit had never been taken out and kept us waiting for three months before we could sell the old house. They were very rude to us, and after we sent them multiple documents, they claimed they had "lost the records" over a decade ago. Even though those records were being used to insist we had an ancient line of credit. :freak: Yeah right. In the meantime my dog and my grandmother were dying and we were stuck between homes five hours apart. So it's not unheard of by any means for lending people to really mess things up.

Have fun and stay healthy!

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments