Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Running into Old Band Members

Considering the childish behavior of some (really mainly one) former band member, I'd like to "run into him" with a large vehicle. Well, not really, but he made everyone's life miserable while in the band with his attitude, and now he's bad mouthing us to anyone he runs into (which is a lot of people, he's an early retiree and fancies himself a local rock star). We've gotten reports back from mutual friends and it's pretty ugly. Worse, it affects our ability to get gigs at certain places. Booking managers are generally quirky unpleasant people anyway, our female singer does our booking and you can't believe some of the crap she gets told by misogynistic creeps) and he's doing his best to poison the well further....

Musicians are some of the most juvenile people I have ever met...not all of them of course. Talking only about non-pro here, we are in the weekend warrior circles...I think many of them are just trying to live out a teenage rock star fantasy and part of that is being an angsty gossip-spreading dick I guess.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Musicians are some of the most juvenile people... Its true. Good point and very passive-aggressive. That's the other thing. If someone leaves on a not so good note you end up hearing about it in certain circles; gig circles, music stores and even restaurants. Locally we had something really nasty happen on Facebook when a guitar player I know mentioned he was no longer playing with one of the local bands. He probably shouldn't have done it but I get he was mad. The thread went south and there was a 500 reply thread on Facebook when a ton of the Western NY scene got involved. I try to avoid that stuff as much as possible.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

just got word that an old "troubled" band member of mine passed away at the age of 50. Cancer brought on from years of alcohol abuse and chain smoking.

the guy was a brilliant musician with a fluency in counterpoint and poly-rhythm.

Never took formal lessons. Read about how Frank Zappa was self-taught. He went to the library and picked up books on theory and harmony and woodsheded for marathon stretches.

Unfortunately those woodshed moments had him quaffing down large quantities of cheap liquor.

If he could play it on guitar, he would play it n piano and visa versa.

I avoid old band members where it didn't end well, musicians can be the greatest friends and true comrades when all is well but when something for some reason goes a wry, they can be the biggest wash-women (excuse me - 'wash-people') on the planet OMG!

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122