Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Novation Hybrid Synth - Summit @ Superbooth

Lucky You :2thu:

I do indeed feel lucky :) I hadn't expected to sell my Nord Electro as quickly or for as good a price as I got for it, so I only had to add a little bit of money to get the Summit :thu:

• 2 years later...

ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT:

For you folks that own a Summit, this may not be a big deal for most of you. I discovered shortly after receiving mine that the Global Setting for Midi LOCAL CONTROL does not persist over a power cycle. You can set LOCAL=OFF for a given session but if you turn the synth off then back on it returns to LOCAL=ON.

Again that may not be any big deal in most cases, however for my live rig, everything is controlled via Cantabile3 on the laptop, and I prefer to run LOCAL=OFF all the time. I let Cantabile route all the midi events to where they need to go - even if that's back to the same instrument.

Recently I submitted a support ticket to Novation and got a response this morning. While they have no plans to make LOCAL CONTROL setting persist, there is an Easter Egg in the OS that lets you set LOCAL via MIDI CC#122. The weird part is it only responds to value=33 and value=99 (OFF and ON respectively). I have not verified that this works yet, since I'm at work, but will check it later today. This would solve my problem since Cantabile can send any number of MIDI events to any number of outputs on startup.

Weird that this feature (if it does indeed work) is un-documented.

~ vonnor

• Like 1

Gear:

Hardware: Nord Stage3, Korg Kronos 2, Novation Summit

Software: Cantabile 3, Halion Sonic 3 and assorted VST plug-ins.

10 minutes ago, vonnor said:

Weird that this feature (if it does indeed work) is un-documented.

~ vonnor

Perhaps it so no one switches it and the unit appears to be bricked for warranty claims and especially on the store floor where someone accidentally or  maliciously changed it to cause mayhem???

That most definitely would have been a big deal to me, since I was looking to turn local off and on per-patch at one point.

Since that time I bought a clonewheel as my 2nd keyboard and the Summit is the odd keyboard out.  I do like the sound, functionality and Novation librarian though so I might end up with a Peak instead if I add a tabletop to my rig.   Though I've kinda got my sights set on an OB-6 or Prophet 6, saving my pennies. 

Update:

Works like a charm. :D Only CC#122 values of exactly 33 and 99 do anything. All other values are ignored.  Crazy.

~ vonnor

• Like 1

Gear:

Hardware: Nord Stage3, Korg Kronos 2, Novation Summit

Software: Cantabile 3, Halion Sonic 3 and assorted VST plug-ins.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, zephonic said:

How do you like it so far?

Anybody else got one or played one? @vonnor?

Sadly I don't play it a lot though about to with a different music project. I love it overall, such a robust and multi-faceted piece of gear :thu:

• Like 1