Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Fender Pinwheel vs Neo Ventilator II organ demo

1 hour ago, CEB said:

The octave devices help because you are doubling the number of "Tonewheels or Oscillators" driving the effect.  My favorite guitar leslies are the single rotor models.    The guitar is basically 6 thin tonewheels.  A Hammond has 96.  Each key can produce up to 9 tones times 10 fingers its massive.

Stuff like Badge works because Pappalardi made space for it and the cabinet was probably in isolation.   

I've played guitar through my leslies and its to nuanced to come through in any of my rock gigs.  But I love me some univibe.

I haven't found an octave device that tracked well with my double/triple stops or "floaty" chord work. I've never tried to make a guitar sound like a Hammond, they don't. 

Still, I do like the swirly-whirly on a guitar. 😋

The sound comparisons above? The Vent sounds much more like a Leslie to me. That said, the Pinwheel probably sounds good in a band mix too. 

One of my "tricks" is just an adaptation of the old Roland Jazz Chorus concept. They had stereo amps, one clean and the other had effects. The constantly changing difference between the sounds of the two speakers adds a 3d effect. I just use 2 small amps and an AB box set to A+B. Put the swirly-whirly of your choice to one of the two amps and there it is, your sound "moving" in the room. Still sounds like a guitar (or a Hammond if you use a Hammond) but that bit of 3d imaging is a big part of why hearing a Leslie in real life is so awesome. 

It's not the same as a rotating speaker, only a rotating speaker can do that but it is a cool sound. I don't move big heavy gear around anymore, just not my thing and most gigs around here don't pay enough already. 

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

• 3 months later...