Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Positioning Keyboards in Gig Bags or ATA cases?

jimkost2002

This may be a silly topic or question, but, how do you guys orient your keybards in gig bags or ATA cases?

I have always put the right or botoom end of the keyboard in at the bottom of the bag or case, but does anyone do the reverse?

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I orient my keys so that she is looking at me when i open the lid. I assume that it gives her a bit of comfort to see my smiling face just before it goes dark. Otherwise, not sure I understood the OP question.
The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

Keys up. Keys side toward hinges if the back side it too high and puts stress on the hinges or won't close. Transport flat, keys up. Doing otherwise effs up some weighted actions.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I have mine so that the keys are never receiving the weight. So when you set the case on it's side (not flat but not on end), the keys are facing towards the latches. ESPECIALLY with soft cases.

It's something I learned from accordions. You don't want your keys/buttons etc having pressure put on them all the time, plus you could have issues if you go over a bump in the road too hard.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

I always put the board in there where the weight of the board is never on the keys. Plus, because my 88-note case is longer than the keyboard, I slide it over where when I lift it by the handle to roll it, the keyboard does not slide.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

I have bought additional foam and cut it into pieces that keep the keyboard in place. Always with the back of the board at the back of the case. I got a couple of cases with extra length to allow for either a power supply (PC2) or swell pedal (SK1) to be placed at an end. Also usually have enough little "pockets" between foam to put power, MIDI, and audio cables.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Thank you for the answers, guys!

I should have stated that I would always put keys facing up, but perhaps a better way to have stated my original question as:

I have always put my keyboards in gig bags or ATA cases with the lower register end at ground level and keys facing me when opening case. Does anybody do the reverse, meaning with the top register at ground level?

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

Archived