Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

C3 playing up

Gary75

I have a late model C3 with this issue. Dendrites on the scanner? I have had it before and applied voltage across the scanner which seemed to cure it. Its a cyclic noise as you can hear, and responds to volume pedal. However does not respond to vib switches. It sounds like an electrical crackle. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

[video:youtube]2gO4WVA0KjM

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hmm, here is a video of a hammond with dendrite

[video:youtube]

It typically isn't heard until you play notes then you can hear a "motor boating" as you are playing. You're getting noise without even touching the keys. Sounds like a tonewheel issue to me. Let see what others weigh in on as a source......

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Is that noise coming through the Leslie? Does turning off vibrato/chorus on both manuals make it stop? Does the expression pedal affect it?

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

Is that noise coming through the Leslie? Does turning off vibrato/chorus on both manuals make it stop? Does the expression pedal affect it?

Expression pedal does indeed make the noise louder or quieter, and its not affected by vib/cho tabs. Noise is through the Leslie

Its also intermittent and not apparent all the time so not sure if it would be a mechanical issue on the TG as that would be constant surely?

If you turn of the Chorus/Vib off and it's still there, I don't believe it's the scanner... I have had to hit my B3 and number of times with the Battery fix.. when I turned my C/V off it didn't motorboat even when it needed it... This is more likely the problem from >

. Matt: "That's ugly! Almost sounds like a mechanical noise with a pickup that got jammed in and is hitting a tonewheel." . . . .it does sound like that, Matt is right!

Motorboating is more subtle than the sound your getting in your vid.. At least from my experience.

I'd open the back and see if any of the Tonewheel pickup adjustments with the locking screws seem loose on the side of the Generator you can get to 1st... easy does it in there. Turn the instrument off, ah you know the routine...

Good Luck!

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

I don't think it's your scanner. I think your amp is motorboating. Eliminate the scanner by grounding terminal D on the AO28.

If the noise was mechanical, it would not be modulated by the

Expression Pedal.

I have a late model C3 with this issue. Dendrites on the scanner? I have had it before and applied voltage across the scanner which seemed to cure it. Its a cyclic noise as you can hear, and responds to volume pedal. However does not respond to vib switches. It sounds like an electrical crackle. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

[video:youtube]2gO4WVA0KjM

I'm sorry, I actually played your youtube vid just now.

That isn't scanner motorboating (good news). And no, nothing physical is hitting/etc anything inside (pickup, tonewheels, etc).

That's in the amp (likely C3 AO-28 side.

ez things to check first:

- go over leslie cable - all wire connections, connector socket. Swap in another leslie cable and test if possible. reflow all solder point conections (if you don't know what yer doing with a solder iron get someone who does).

- pull each tube in organ, lightly sand tube pins, clean each tube socket with deoxit D5.

- deoxit the C3 leslie output socket

- check/swap the 12BH7, 12AX7 tubes and test.

if the 6x4 is known/unknown old - replace (protects your tformer)

- deoxit and excercise the tone ctrl screw (AO-28)

start there

Thats what I thought, its not mechanical if the noise can be modulated and isnt constantly there. And the fact the scanner sounds fine in itself also lends me to think it wasnt that.

I have a spare Leslie and cable and will start cleaning and checking. Its up at my fathers place so going up tomorrow. I have also purchased a complete mil spec Amphenol EP6 metal plug and chassis socket set for cable and both organ and Leslie amp (as recommended by mate stubb some time ago) to replace the frankly poor plastic design of the originals which inevitably get stood on or worse.

Thanks for the input so far, really helps to cut down fault finding time

No point in adding a second Leslie to the equation, youve already isolated the problem to the organ by observing that it is modulated with the expression pedal. Your preamp needs service. Who did the last rebuild? Perhaps that person can help.

No point in adding a second Leslie to the equation, youve already isolated the problem to the organ by observing that it is modulated with the expression pedal. Your preamp needs service. Who did the last rebuild? Perhaps that person can help.

Archived