Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Piano shootout , Dxibell , Roland and Kawai .

pianomike

I recorded Misty on the Dexibell Japanese Grand Roland Stage Grand and Kawai Concert Grand , I also played piano leads then stock Rhodes leads and ended with strings mixed with the grand pianos . I got a little confused switching the Rhodes back to strings and Grand piano on the Dexibell cause the layouts different ,I also used the sounds that came with the pianos when you turn them on but the Kawai is tweaked ,that's the way I keep it . My favorites are the Dexibell and Kawai piano sounds .Go to Mike Lupinetti on youtube to hear the comparisons and let me know what you think .

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I must say I am completely surprised by your choice. Didn't read what your preference was before I went and listened (and re-listened) to the three and when I returned I was shocked.

Oddly, my first choice would be the Roland.

The Kawai had a muted bell like resonance that, while sounding mellow, didn't bring out the tones as well.

The Dexibell certainly had the tonal quality associated with an acoustic grand, but seemed almost harsh at points.

For some reason the Roland had a balance and quality in its sound that I found difficult to denigrate in any way. But, then again, it all boils down to personal preference in the end.

Disclosure: I have no relationship with any of the three companies at all, but have owned a couple of Roland products.

Don

"Yes, on occasion I do talk to myself, sometimes I need an expert's opinion."

Alesis DG8, ARP(Korg)Odyssey Mk.1, Roland JU-06 & Keystation61. Stratocaster if I get tired of sitting.

Desert Rat the Roland can be tweaked to sound better and the Kawai I have the touch set on heavy or else it would sound a little bright to me . Dave thanks for posting the vids and for the pedaling advice , I have changed my technique in playing over the past couple of years by watching videos of how other people play and am constantly tying to watch my timing because if I start day dreaming I 'll tend to go play in fast forward . The Dexibell can also be tweaked which I forgot to do by just turning the filter wheel a little , and I really do like the Japanese Platinum Grand sound and find it amazing they were able to put it in a decent playing 21 pound keyboard .

Out of my laptop speakers, I liked the Roland piano best (largely for a seemingly less percussive quality), but once I put on headphones, I preferred the Kawai as sounding more like a real piano.

Was the Roland one of its V-Piano sounds or one of its SuperNatural sounds?

Still can't deal with that Dexibell Rhodes. The bell overtone just seems all wrong to me.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

The Piano on the Roland was the Stage Grand which is the first sound that comes up on the screen when you turn it on and yes it is one of the V piano sounds . I do not use the supernatural piano sounds because they sound to digital to me . The old Rhodes with the legs that I tried out before , all had a bell sound to them which I think you could adjust by the way you tuned the key bed . The Dexibell captures some of the bell sounds but it does not sound like the old Rhodes . The Rhodes Suitcase Pianos sounds smoother and more mellow than the ones with legs , I know they come with their own stereo amp system and that might be why .All of the pianos that I played sound different playing them through my speakers and I am not sure how good a job my little Zoom camera does at recording their sounds which I ran directly into the camera .

Archived