Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kawai MP11 , Roland RD 2000 Dexibell S3 Rhodes shootout

pianomike

I recorded Just The Way You Are on the Kawai MP11 , Roland Rd 2000 and Dexibell S3 Rhodes piano . I Did short versions for all three , I was wondering what forum members thought about which Rhodes sounded the best. Since I do not know how to post the songs onto the forums you have to go to Mike Lupinetti on youtube . Thanks Mike

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I hear that a lot. I gotta check it out. I like heavy weighted keys. I got Kronos 88. It has a good keybed. You can easily do triple strikes in fast tempos, but still they're not heavy enough.
www.youtube.com/c/InTheMixReviews

I'd say Kawai first, then Roland (which sounds a bit more DX7-ish) , then Dexibell (which kinda sounds like it's being doubled with a celeste).

I think Kurzweil and Korg do this stuff best, at least out of the box.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Thanks for posting them Elmer . I think the Kawai sounds the lushest then the Roland and the Dexibell but I like them all .The Dexibell has the old Fender Rhodes sound where it had that bell sound to it but a little thinner .

The Kawai reminds me more of the original recording than the others. I might prefer the RD-2000 for songs needing a Rhodes with more bite or presence. Don't really care for the Dexibell.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

The Kawai has the best sounding phaser effect imho.

The attack on the Rhodes is louder and bites more than my MkI.

The Roland patch sounds remarkably similar to the Kawai.

Im not digging the sample or phaser on the Dexibell.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I did not use the phaser on any of the keyboards , on the Kawai I used the two effects buttons which sound more realistic than it's phaser sound , on the Roland I just used some effects , a little reverb and delay and on the Dexibell I just put the reverb on large hall , the phaser sound on the Dexibell does not sound that good in my opinion . I am playing with the lightest touch on the Dexibell ,when you change the touch settings it changes the sound . When I play the wurly on the Dexibell I have to raise the touch setting 1 notch which changes the sound from bad to good .

The Kawai sounds too compressed, and therefore not like Im sitting in front of a real Rhodes. The Roland sounds like a Rhodes recorded in a good studio but still some compression. The Dexibell sounds closest to a suitcase Rhodes I once owned. I couldnt detect any compression. It sounded more raw, and therefore the most authentic to me.

They all sound awful to me -- especially due to how muddy and boomy the reverb makes them, with no distinct articulations and little to any modulation in harmonics, but I guess that's to be expected from a ROMpler vs. an excellent computer-based sound source.

I would rate the Kawai by far the worst, by a good country mile or two, as it's just a mess of resonance. The Roland has a bit more dynamics going on, and though the Dexibell has no "bottom", that would be an advantage in a band situation so I suspect it blends the best and cuts through the most where it matters, keeping the energy and movement of the phrasing.

I am disinclined to buy an MP11 as a result of these videos, but am not sure if that was the newer SE model (or if that upgrades the sound at all). I'm still torn between buying a home-only DP (which would be a better Kawai than the MP11, in their home series), or a gig-friendly keyboard (which might be another brand; even the new Yamaha P515). But I wouldn't dare use that MP11 Rhodes sound at a jazz gig.

None of this is criticism of the actual playing; the player did a great job there.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Your welcome Al , I played the first Rhodes sounds that were on all the keyboards and I think the Kawai and Roland must be suitcase Rhodes and the Dexibell the old style Rhodes with legs that I remember trying out and it had the bell sound to it .

Mark , I just hit some effects buttons on the keyboards , I did not try to tweak them to get a clean sound and they are all tweakable , that being said I have seen videos of Billy Joel playing this song on Rhodes suitcase pianos before and they did sound muddy , I also saw a video were he started playing this song on a Rhodes and did not like the sound and walked over and played it on a Grand piano .

Yeah Rick I own all three , fortunately I was able to great deals on all three . The Mp11 I was able to get for $1300 new because I had bought an Es7 which had key problems so they replaced it with another Es7 and it had the same problems and by that time had owned the Es7 for two years and the Kawai Dealer in Pa let me trade it in on the Mp11 when it first came out for $1300 , the RD 2000 I was able to get for $195 dollars after I traded in my seven year old Nord ex stage piano and my 12 year old Roland Gx piano ,the Dexibell S3 I was able to get for $1444 dollars with the discounts from GC . In the future I'll try to do a piano shootout that should be interesting . I do not think the MP11 has an organ on it ,I'll have to look around it .

Jimbo, interesting point about mono vs. stereo. One has to be so careful about stereo effects, as the room interaction becomes very important, so we probably all heard that quite differently from each other.

Mike, that's interesting that Billy Joel's ears are also quite sensitive to the specifics of a Rhodes sound and that he went running for the acoustic piano. :-)

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Keybed would be the main thing for me..built-in sounds are fine for quick practice (mainly my kid) but I really would like something nice for using with my computer.

I've yet to find something I like as much as the mp11, though I've only tried it once. I did really like the nord piano 4 I just tried though (I like lighter actions to be sure).

Hello Mark,

I am disinclined to buy an MP11 as a result of these videos...

I don't think it's really possible to draw any conclusions from one video.

...but am not sure if that was the newer SE model (or if that upgrades the sound at all).

The MP11SE features additional acoustic piano sounds (Shigeru Kawai SK-EX, SK-5), however the EPs and effects system is more or less identical (the MPSE boards have a few additional parameters).

I wouldn't dare use that MP11 Rhodes sound at a jazz gig.

Neither would I, however if the owner enjoys applying effects and adjusting the sound in this way, I'm not about to tell him otherwise. ;)

Kind regards,

James

x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

Fortunately, I'm not a very big fan of electric sounds as I get older anyway. :-) There's only a few tunes I use stuff like that and B3 on, for a specific atmosphere and evocation of an era. :-) I always like how stuff sounds better when 100% acoustic.

The Kawai has a specific phaser sound which I did not use , I pressed the two EFX buttons on the Rhodes piano to get that sound. I chose that sound because to me it sounds like the sound on Just the way you are . I know I went to heavy on the foot pedal because I was reading the notes ,which I am not that good at .This is the original Mp11 without any of the updates on it because I am not computer oriented . I did not tweak the sound which would of made it cleaner because I had only so much time to get it done that being said if there was only one piano that I was aloud to keep for practicing , it would be the Mp11 because it is the most piano like of the three and it has a great action . For playing out I would use the Roland or the Dexibell , and the Dexibell thought it does not have half of the sounds as the RD 2000 it only weights 21 pounds .

Archived