Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best way to share MP3s of rehearsals?

cedar

When I wanted to share MP3s of recordings of rehearsals via internet, I've typically resorted to Dropbox. But I keep running out of space that way. I suppose I could just pay for more storage, but wondering if there is a better method.

Any suggestions?

Keep in mind, these recordings are not meant for public consumption; just meant to be shared with fellow musicians. Sound quality is not paramount. Just looking for simplest, least expensive way to share lots of files.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My suggestion: Only make the most recent available, for limited amount of time, then take down the old ones. I think 20 minutes is about 21MBs of MP3.

So unless there's a reason to use DB as an indefinite "public storage locker" for audio, just make it limited availability.

Also, have you stuck in the dipstick with regard to actual usage by your other band members / fellow musicians? I'm betting there are those who use them, and those who don't. Maybe if you let the actual users know, "Hey that rehearsal will only be online for two weeks, so if you want to use it you better download it by the end of the month."

I pay .99/month for 50GB of iCloud storage. I don't think you have all the functionality of Dropbox but it sure is less expensive.

To make room on Dropbox you don't have to save stuff there to an external - just move it out of the Dropbox folder onto a different folder of your local drive.

[edit - that's if you use DB like I do, mirroring stuff on your local Dropbox folder. Forget what I said if you don't do that!]

Do you have a web site? I have a shared server with my own domain and more bandwidth/storage than I'll ever use. At a few bucks a month it's more than I would spend for just file sharing, but it hosts the web site, provides emails, etc, and as a side benefit, I can post file there with direct links to download from any web browser. I have a web folder set up in my laptop so I just drag the files there just like I was dragging them to any other folder in my computer.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I use Google Drive. I generally just copy a full share link and send it to everyone. I like this vs. Dropbox as anyone who has the link can get the mp3 even if they don't have a Google account or if it was shared with a different account than the one they happen to be logged into when they go looking for the audio. This is not totally private, but private enough. (Sometimes I have to edit the recording before uploading, but if so, I wouldn't have let the audio go to a server even if it was a restricted share. Hell, sometimes I have to edit out one band member trash talking another one who didn't make it to the rehearsal.)

A friend's band uses SoundCloud. They have a private sharing mechanism now and it allows adding cue points to make a playlist of the songs in a single recording. In fact any band member can add them I believe. I've been meaning to check it out. Not sure how they're handling monetization though.

-Z-

I use Google Drive. I generally just copy a full share link and send it to everyone. I like this vs. Dropbox as anyone who has the link can get the mp3 even if they don't have a Google account

Google Drive is fine, but you can do the same with files on Dropbox account not needed for either.

I can email large audio and video files with the help of my iCloud storage. For example, when I email a large MP3 I think Apple automatically copies the MP3 to iCloud and then inserts a link to the MP3 file on iCloud into the email. There's a message saying that the file at the link will be available for a month. So, it's automatically doing all of the stuff I used to do via Dropbox (i.e, before this Apple functionality was available), including cloud storage cleanup. Well done by Apple -- it couldn't be more user friendly.

I guess the downside with youtube is that it's not as simple to download onto one's computer, for listening off-line. Also, I assumed that it was slower for uploading than DropBox.

Wetransfer looks like a nice option.

This made me smile a bit.

I've been using the paid version of Dropbox for many years. I have subfolders set up for each band or project I've been involved in. More storage than I will ever need.

Just went and took a trip down memory lane :)

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

Check out soundcloud. You can choose if your uploads are private and band members can type specific comments into specific moments in each tune. AFAIK free users get 3 hours of upload time ... so it's not a good archiving mechanism, but it's a very good discussion platform.

Google drive works very well, but best if everyone is on gmail in my experience.

Odd that mp3s would make you run out of space?

Anyway, my biggest issue in sharing anything with bands isn't the tech. It's getting the anti-computer members to get on there and actually access stuff. I've had charts, recordings etc all up there for them to see and half the time nobody bothers.

+1 on Soundcloud

Check out soundcloud. You can choose if your uploads are private and band members can type specific comments into specific moments in each tune. AFAIK free users get 3 hours of upload time ... so it's not a good archiving mechanism, but it's a very good discussion platform.

Archived