Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Budget synths

Muad’Dib

Since I will never own high end gear, due to my financial situation. I have looked more towards budget gear.

Novation Mininova

Roland JD-xi

KORG Minilouge

any new Behringer synth to come out

etc...

As much as I would love a Minimoog D reissue

Prophet 6, Oberheim OB-6

I have to be more realistic.

Paul

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where in Maryland are you? I'm selling an Alesis Ion for $400... with manual and gig bag.

http://www.vintagesynth.com/sites/default/files/2017-05/alesision.jpg

(Picture from Internet).

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Software could provide the best bang for the buck if the OP already has a computer and a MIDI KB.

Arturia V collection probably offers the greatest variety of synths in one package. The download version is on sale. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Paul, judging by your threads and videos, you seem to be a serial (and unsatisfied) buyer-of-inexpensive-synths. (That's not a criticism or a snark, by the way). I hesitate to recommend another inexpensive-synth-for-you-to-buy because I don't know what inspires you.

ProfD's software suggestion is a good one, if you have a computer, or an iPad? You'll be spending tens of dollars, not hundreds.

Cheers, Mike.

Definitely keep an ey on the used market. Even going back to so,etching like the original triton series or equivalent will give you a broad pallette of sounds and capabilities.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Paul, judging by your threads and videos, you seem to be a serial (and unsatisfied) buyer-of-inexpensive-synths. (That's not a criticism or a snark, by the way). I hesitate to recommend another inexpensive-synth-for-you-to-buy because I don't know what inspires you.

ProfD's software suggestion is a good one, if you have a computer, or an iPad? You'll be spending tens of dollars, not hundreds.

Cheers, Mike.

You have a Point there, Mike

Both the MiniNova and the JDxi are worthwhile pieces of gear. Don't discount some of the older ROMplers. Motif, Fantom and any of the Korg series. They had excellent mechanics and still sound good.

True!

Maybe what I should have done, was start with an old Romper first. I do feel constrained with what I have. The Microbrute is nice, for a lead type synth. I need something a bit more polyphonic

Paul, I echo the sentiment about going for software synths. I've really liked the Novation synths I've come across. I sniffed the MiniNova hard for a while, because it came with a matching editor and librarian, IIRC. Such software seems to get orphaned pretty fast, so you have to build your Best Of library while its still fresh. Manufacturers tend to use their resources on their next products, so updating the editor software on a synth that's well past its sales curve is an iffy matter.

Take a serious look at your software options. M-Tron Pro ran me a mere $149, so specialty instruments are easy to land. Sweetwater is offering the UVI Falcon for a mere $244 at the moment. That one covers many bases well, so if your computer meets its system requirements, you could live productively in a world that comprehensive for a long time. My 2¢: While a computer does have its own upkeep demands, sweating over hardware is needless when soft-synths hand you so much more range.

This doesn't mean that I don't occasionally whine and kick like a dog in my sleep, dreaming of the time I got to play a DKI Synergy. Playing that sweet keybed felt the way a fresh *real* French croissant tastes. :drool:

"I like that rapper with the bullet in his nose!"
 "Yeah, Bulletnose! One sneeze and the whole place goes up!"
       ~ "King of the Hill"

Paul,

What are you trying to do? What kind of music do you want to make? Do you want to record or jam live at home? What's your skill level?

Answer a few of these and you'll get better suggestions from the forumites.

You actually CAN own high end gear, you just have to focus on used stuff. A Motif ES6 goes for as little as $600 and can do sampling. I have an ES7 and still have not fully exploited all it can do. (new those were $2800+/-)

Give us a little more info.

Greg

Kurzweil Forte, Yamaha Motif ES7, Muse Receptor 2 Pro Max, Neo Ventilator

Yeah Marino! good suggestion. I really love my Micromonsta! It really sounds amazing.

Cool story. I use my Micromonsta live mounted on my pedalboard, triggered by my Mopho keys. At the end of one gig the soundguy walks up to me saying, "I really love that sound on the Mopho. In that last song that lead sound was awesome. You can really hear that it's a real analog synth..." . All leads came from the Micromonsta.

Rudy

Paul,

What are you trying to do? What kind of music do you want to make? Do you want to record or jam live at home? What's your skill level?

Answer a few of these and you'll get better suggestions from the forumites.

You actually CAN own high end gear, you just have to focus on used stuff. A Motif ES6 goes for as little as $600 and can do sampling. I have an ES7 and still have not fully exploited all it can do. (new those were $2800+/-)

Give us a little more info.

Greg

My skill level is still down at a beginners level. I can pick up a few things, I am able to play the first half of Home Sweet Home by Motley Crue on the Piano, as a well as a bit of Imagine by John Lennon. Most of that was due to following Piano tutorials, on YouTube, and Yes I already own a piano.

As far a creating music, or playing I just need to push myself a bit harder. I did post a video of some of my music making, but never received, any feedback?

Most salesman, have steered me towards Roland or Yamaha, not so much KORG, however I was steered clear of synths like the ION, as I was told those were more performance synths. Most salesman, could tell my skill level, just upon meeting me, without me having too say much. Probably, that's why I was steered towards Yamaha Motif. I did own a Juno D, but felt unsatisfied. I owned a Triton Rack module, but had to sell it, because I needed the money, although $10.00 is $10.00. Sold it to a Pawn Shop. I got so little because of the age, and there was no USB port. I loved the sounds it had, and the Arpgeiator/ sequencer. Never got the hang of the RPPR feature. I did enjoy the Triton Le as I thought, it had some good sounds. I was fascinated by some of the more non traditional Western Instruments. More synth, and Eastern instruments.

KARMA fascinated me too, had an old VHS tape of promotional Video of the KARMA, with Stephen Kay. The originator of KARMA. I even had a Promotional video, of the Old KORG i series.

I know I can create music, if I just set my mind too it. Of course, I still have that little voice that says, I can't do anything!

I even considered the KORG KARMA

If you find a used one, make sure ALL the buttons work. I bought a Korg Triton in 2000 and a few buttons started malfunctioning about 5 years ago. Just to be on the safe side, I had them all replaced.

Paul,

You mention piano a lot in your response. That tells me you're focused more on traditional music (bass, drums, keys, etc.) rather than synthy, droney stuff.

My opinion is to get a decent workstation. Again, using my Motif ES as a SUGGESTION (Not a direction), here's what that gets you.

- 128 voice polyphony (necessary to sequence fuller sounding music)

- a robust sequencer (it has a tougher learning curve but is capable)

- a great keyboard action

- great acoustic sounds (guitars, basses, drums, pianos, EP's, etc)

- user sampling

- 1000's of arps (these would be really useful to you as a novice as you can integrate them into your own playing and get great results. These include bass and drum parts.)

- Built like a tank

I used my ES for years doing one-man-band stuff live. No other gear. Even ran a mic through it and had vocal effects using what's built into the keyboard. I've recorded many songs on it that could be considered professional by most folks standards.

My point is that board is online at GC for $600 right now. It's affordable. And it is also capable enough to synthy, droney stuff too. It allows you to learn how to play different types of synth sounds and with the sequencer you can experiment with putting it all in whatever context you desire.

The other thing I surmise from reading your posts is that you might be looking for a 'magic pill', something that will elevate your musical endeavor. Sadly that's why a lot of players are always grabbing the latest and greatest new keyboard, thinking it will radically change their sound. The newest tech is certainly getting better all the time, but the gear is always just a tool.

Find a piece of gear that you like, get it and learn it. Continue to learn to play the piano as that is foundational knowledge that will help you continue to improve.

I've played my whole life, taken lessons and have played some technical classical music. I also have taught piano (on the side) for over 25 years. I've played in many bands doing all kinds of music. Most of my playing now is in a church band, doing contemporary worship music (essentially pop music).

I still go to Youtube. I still work on stuff at home. I still try to find new sounds and learn new things on the piano. I also invest a lot of time in how to play other sounds (organ, strings, synths, etc.) as that's what I do as a multi-keyboardist. Learning organ techniques alone has been an ongoing journey.

My point is that it takes WORK. No magic pill. It takes TIME. Mostly, it takes a DESIRE. If you don't have the desire, you'll never invest the time or the work.

I do it because I love it, not because I'm the best at it. There are many musicians that blow me away, yet I know I'm capable as I've played in many pro situations and can hold my own. It's not about who's better or worse than me, its about me loving musical expression. I sense that in you and encourage you in it. It brings me great joy.

Greg

Kurzweil Forte, Yamaha Motif ES7, Muse Receptor 2 Pro Max, Neo Ventilator

My point is that it takes WORK. No magic pill. It takes TIME. Mostly, it takes a DESIRE. If you don't have the desire, you'll never invest the time or the work.

This.

Archived