Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Unpopular synths

Muad’Dib

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Allan and Max, your avatars are confusing me! :laugh:

Allan, Happy birthday!!!

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

My old poly-800 SHOULD be on the list as far as I am concerned...never liked it and it had tuning issues.

I had one as well. Definitely one of the early plastic "budget synths." I was happy to get rid of it when I upgraded to a Roland JX-8P. Never had a tuning issue with the Poly-800 though.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Arp Omni and Arp Omni 2

After the Arp string machine, Arp decided to make another synth that had more than one sound that was any good. Well, at least that was the plan.

I made the mistake of buying the Arp Omni 2, which wasn't exactly cheap. It was an interesting idea with cheesy sounds. Worse than that, after several years of trying to find sounds that I could use in cover songs, the power supply died. it was a waste of money.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Fizmo

Ouch!!!!

Don't get me wrong - could have been awesome. It just wasn't very popular.

Exactly. The Transwave technology and sound of the unit were both pretty cool... but it was sunk by an awful name and a really weird...ummm, I mean ambitious color scheme.

http://www.vintagesynth.com/sites/default/files/2017-05/fizmo.jpg

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Arp Omni and Arp Omni 2

After the Arp string machine, Arp decided to make another synth that had more than one sound that was any good. Well, at least that was the plan.

I made the mistake of buying the Arp Omni 2, which wasn't exactly cheap. It was an interesting idea with cheesy sounds. Worse than that, after several years of trying to find sounds that I could use in cover songs, the power supply died. it was a waste of money.

ARP seemed to be stuck in home organ technology TOS land for polyphony, and they were very very late to the microcomputer. Other than the Chroma, all their polyphonic keyboards were TOS based instruments which are not very flexible and tend to use high component count (read: $$$$). The Quadra wasn't a proper polyphonic, it was layered Odyssey/Omni2/Brother circuit boards and wasn't programmable despite having a microprocessor.

The sad thing is, ARP didn't know they were very close to a polyphonic assignment system. The ProSoloist keyboard is digitally scanned, and with a little more circuitry it could had been polyphonic like Emu/Oberheim system. If only...

And ARP power supplies were not the best designs.

Probably their best contributions were the VCO design that was elegant and very stable (for 1970 that was a BIG SELLING POINT), and the multimode VCF in their 2500 which was the inspiration for the Oberheim multimode VCF in their SEMs.

Fizmo

Ouch!!!!

Don't get me wrong - could have been awesome. It just wasn't very popular.

Exactly. The Transwave technology and sound of the unit were both pretty cool... but it was sunk by an awful name and a really weird...ummm, I mean ambitious color scheme.

http://www.vintagesynth.com/sites/default/files/2017-05/fizmo.jpg

dB

The Fizmo's birth, death, resurrection and final demise is one of our industry's depressing anecdotes. Unfortunately, lots of good people hoped that the resurrection would save their jobs. Tough days.

Steve Coscia

Kawai K3 - six-note polyphony but very user-friendly to program on the fly. 31 choices of sampled waveform bliss. patch 9 was "solo mays". Velocity and pressure sensitivity easy to program and 4 chorus effects to sweeten the sound.

A great board that was quickly dinosaured by the technology arc. They tried to get on the LA bandwagon with the K1 but that flopped.

[video:youtube]

Roland S10 Sampler. If you could not afford a quality sampler. It was the first board I played that allowed two-patches (samples) to be played simultaneously. You had to load the samples via 2 1/2" floppy. The disc drive would fail after about week and then you had to slam the discs into the drive to get the samples on board. The samples were great!

Yamaha TG-100: The rise of the Logarithmic Arithmetic tone generators generators. Impossible to program. It resembled a car stereo. The sounds were very good, but how often did you see yourself reaching for "Goblin" or "One-Note-Jam" ? Operate don General Midi and didn't play nice with older midi controllers. And don't forget the Demo song that came with it...

The DSI MEK. except for the faulty pots, this was the little mono-synth that could have been. I still have mine and see no point in selling it. If I could only set the mod-wheel to control the portamento speeds on all four oscillators, I would be happy. It is a bitch. Just when I have it licked, it sucker punches me by changing parameters at random.

Thinking about all the new retro polysynths that are on the market, perhaps picking up a used K3 would satisfy the niche. Last I saw on Reverb it was $400 + shipping. I bought my K3 new back in 1987 for $700.

Times have changed.

Yamaha V50. "Not to be confused with Yamaha V50."

V50 Wiki

Yamaha seems to have a problem with finding enough alphanumeric characters to use for model identification. Besides the YS200 synth...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_YS200

...there's this...

http://bestsellerotherhandpercussion.blogspot.com/2012/04/ys200-slapstick.html

At least they're both intended for making music. :facepalm:

Yamaha: Motif XF6 and XS6, A3000V2, A4000, YS200 | Korg: T3EX, 05R/W | Fender Chroma Polaris | Roland U-220 | Etc.

Fizmo

Beat me to it.

Okay then...E-mu Morpheus.

dB

I missed my Morpheus window, but I've always thought someone could be scary if they played a pair of them and learned how to work the filter sweep pedal(s) expressively. I got a chance to demo one and it was jaw-dropping. You couldn't modify the filter models themselves, but they were so numerous and exoticly fluid that it didn't matter. It cried out for someone to really play those in real-time. Nothing else warped sound like that. Its available in a modular form now, but that's far from Proteus territory. Another dream synth that only made it part of the way into the waking world.

Do what makes you happy this week.
So long as it’s not eating people.
Eating people is bad.
People have diseases.
      ~ Warren Ellis

Roland's first S-10 and S-50 floppy libraries were damned good. I owned a Mirage and was long-term-loaned a Korg DSS-1, but neither's libraries quite reached Roland's high mark. IMO, it took a generation or two for that to happen with Akai's advances. Sheesh, I'm old. I could have a beer with The Mummy.

Do what makes you happy this week.
So long as it’s not eating people.
Eating people is bad.
People have diseases.
      ~ Warren Ellis

Ensoniq SQ-80 and Ensoniq TS-10 or TS-12.

Korg Poly-61 and Poly-800

Casio CZ/HZ/HT/FZ/VZ series (Casios arent all that bad).

Roland Sound Canvas and E-series Intelligent Keyboards.

Yamaha VSS-30.

Casio SK-1.

Casio VL-1.

Korg T1/T2/T3

Korg Radias

Korg MS2000

Korg Prophecy

Korg X5(D)

Roland JV-80/880/90/1080/etc.

Any other ROMplers from the 90s nowadays.

Yamaha MX49, Casio SK1/WK-7600, Korg Minilogue, Alesis SR-16, Casio CT-X3000, FL Studio, many VSTs, percussion, woodwinds, strings, and sound effects.

Unpopular with the audience? Any synth Im currently playing.

Take my wife. Please.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

My old poly-800 SHOULD be on the list as far as I am concerned...never liked it and it had tuning issues.

I had one as well. Definitely one of the early plastic "budget synths." I was happy to get rid of it when I upgraded to a Roland JX-8P. Never had a tuning issue with the Poly-800 though.

I did the exact same thing! I also never had any tuning issues.

Ive got one that no one has mentioned: Sequential Six-Trak. It could sound very good, especially for bass and certain leads, but it was...difficult. I had two of them. I dont know why.

Another semi-dud I owned was the Moog Opus 3. The strings were a bit brittle, the brass wasnt impressive, and the synth wasnt Moogy enough.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

I don't know about unpopular, but synthes I owned and grew to hate:

Moog Sonic Six

Yamaha DX9

Korg Poly800

Siel something or other

Yamaha CP30 (not a synth, but terrible EP)

Also, everything that MOI mentioned. I hate when they happened!

Professional musician = great source of poverty.

I was tempted by the Sonic Six... loved the form factor and ergonomics, and it was even duophonic... but it just didn't sound like a Moog, so I passed.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Archived