Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Keyboard recommendations for budget under $2K

jimk0157

Looking for keyboard recommendations for my basic home studio but portable enough for occasional gigs. Most important to me is:

1. Great keyboard feel/action (not necessarily weighted/semi weighted keys)

2. At least 73 keys

3. Great piano, organ and drum kit sounds

4. Under $2000

Thanks,

Jim

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
+1 to the Kurzweils. Other than that, Roland VR-730. Maybe Roland FA-07/08 if you dont need real-time drawbar control, though I'd want to beef up the rotary effect with an external pedal.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

HOME studio .... Komplete 12 and whatever keyboard you want. A used S90xx would be cool.

Or a Numa Compact 2 if you don't want a weighted action and have $1000 left over

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I love my PX-5S, but I would never recommend it for a "great" organ. I would probably go with the SP6, and maybe spring for a MIDI controller keyboard that has 9 assignable faders for drawbars.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

Picking up from Tom's post, so much depends on the definition of "great." But I don't think many would consider PX5S, MODX6, or Numa Compact 2 great for organ, and also the Numa doesn't have drums. For the needs at hand I'd say stick with Kurzweil or Roland. And for home studio use, consider supplementing with VSTs. That might make the Artis7 the pick of the litter because of its MIDI flexibility (at least if you want to try to avoid adding additional control devices).

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

1. Great keyboard feel/action
Kurzweil Artis7
so much depends on the definition of "great."

Artis7 action and "great" don't go together imo. (I haven't played the SP6, but have heard mixed reactions). These things are so subjective.

+1 on the VR730 if you like the piano/organ tone - the consensus on the action is positive.

Cheers, Mike.

Yeha, hence my "depending on your definition of "great"" caveat.

But "great" action, piano sounds, organ sounds, and drum sounds all in one package under 2k, well, there just aren't a ton of options, and a lot of subjectivity.

PX5S is definitely a stretch relative to the Artis, but it's at a totally different price point as well. Great option if you're weighing options vs. price. Granted, assuming I had the cash I'd probably spend a little more and go for the SP6 over the Casio, as Tom said.

It all depends on how and why you set your budget.

Artis7 action and "great" don't go together imo. (I haven't played the SP6, but have heard mixed reactions). These things are so subjective.

+1 on the VR730 if you like the piano/organ tone - the consensus on the action is positive.

Yes to all. Artis 7 acton works for me with lighter springs, but they're hard to find. But plenty of people are fine with the stock action. As you say, subjective, as are thoughts about whether Artis or VR730 piano or organ sounds are "great." I actually haven't heard the VR730 yet, which is supposed to be improved from the original VR09 which was not bad. I'll also mention that I have no input about "great" drum sounds, as I never use them, so I just noted whether a board had them at all.

Archived