Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: recommendations for "darker" synth music

J. Dan

Hopefully there are a few here you haven't heard before. Many of the 80's Synth bands had one or two well known songs and only a few like Depeche Mode had a large body of high quality music. Here are some examples of Synth-oriented music in a darker style I liked in the 80's and still do.

I had heard all of those except Japan Ghosts -good stuff.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Xeno and Oaklander - they said the downside of touring with so much analog gear is the maintenance costs, but...

This one has some potential. First track is a little blippy for my tastes and vocals are a bit washed out on the reverb, but worth looking into some more.

That was a live performance at a radio station. I'm sure the studio versions of their music has cleaner mixes.

[font:Comic Sans MS]I see someone else mentioned Austra. They're essential, along with the awesome Zola Jesus, who's put out 5 ridiculously good studio albums in the last 9 years.

Back in the '90s, there was the whole Darkwave movement, which was kinda "goth gone techno/trip-hop." Switchblade Symphony were the unquestioned queens of that whole thing; they have 3 great albums for you to check out. Nowadays, there's a new Darkwave scene taking shape; as an example, here's the new album by Night Club:[/font]

[video:youtube]

Really surprised no one has mentioned Metric.

I had not heard of them. I wasn't entirely sold on the video you posted, but I listened to a few more songs and I like it!

I was going to suggest Metric since they are song oriented and definitely are influenced by Depeche Mode production-wise. Good stuff.

Not always dark but song oriented:

LCD Soundsystem

St. Vincent

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

You seem to want dark pop-oriented stuff instead of dark ambient. I really like The xx, and maybe you will as well.

Dua Lipa is annoying to me, but the musical part fits.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76| Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT, Kurzweil PC4 (88)

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Archived