Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yes (ARW version) playing the Whisky in LA. Tickets $2 each

Dave Bryce

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That sucks. I'm kinda on the wrong side of the continent.

You would camp out on the street overnight to go if you were in LA? :idk:

I ain't doing it...although I do admit feeling a nostalgic twang, I realize the only way I could do it and enjoy it would be to get a few other folks to do it with me.

Even then, I figure we'd probably end up regretting the decision - someone would inevitably start grumbling about their back/hip/shoulder hurting, and it'd just go downhill from there... :facepalm::rolleyes:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

I just bought my tickets to see them next week at the Greek. Its worth $150 not to camp out on Hollywood Blvd.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

You mean Yes is not having to pay to play the Whiskey?

A nod to the pay-to-play days of the mid-80s, where struggling bands trying to make it big had to pay to play the Sunset Strip rock clubs like the Whiskey, the Roxy, Troubadour and others.

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

The Howe version sucked the last time I saw them. Rabin, Wakeman and Anderson were amazing last year. Looking forward to turning my g-friend on to these guys.... She heard Roundabout for the first time last month and loved it.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

The Howe version sucked the last time I saw them. Rabin, Wakeman and Anderson were amazing last year. Looking forward to turning my g-friend on to these guys.... She heard Roundabout for the first time last month and loved it.
Total agreement. I saw the Howe version (while Squire was still with us) and it was ponderous, at best. Paid for the VIP pass with ARW last year (discussed the shortcomings of the Voyager with RCW) and they were YES.

Yeah, ARW are much better at this point than "official YES" imo. I'd consider trying to get in on this if I didn't have my own gigs here on the east coast that weekend, but when they announce tour dates here I'll definitely go, have seen them three times already. The good news is that the venues they play are generally not that much bigger anyway, so we're not missing out on that much by not getting to see this bar show.

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

Sounds about in line with what my bud has reported. He religiously attends shows by both versions of Yes. He prefers Howe's slightly rawer and quirky guitar style to Rabin's, but also prefers the overall musicianship in ARW.

It was nice to see Tony Kaye hit the stage for nostalgic reasons, but he seemed to approach the "Roundabout" solo as a joke - dunno if he was drinking or what, because he's shown flashes of legit chops in the past. Geoff Downes was capable but in contrast to Kaye's enthusiasm, he looked more like a hired hand who clocked in, and patiently waiting to clock out. The lead vocalist was a pleasant surprise; much better than I expected.

There is a level of serious musicianship and precision that AWR possess. I saw the Howe version twice, once before we lost Chris Squire and the other right after he passed. Both performances were sloppy.

Archived