Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

2 Nord keyboards and Midi

Heartbeat

Anybody tried connecting two Nord keyboards directly via Midi? It doesnt work. Rather I have to insert some third party device in the circuit that makes the Midi voltage level compatible. This seems incredibly strange to me from such a hi-end keyboard manufacturer.

Thanks

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes. I've probably tried every model of Nord Keyboard via MIDI and many of them together. It does work. All of them have worked. What third party device are you putting in what circuit? Explain your setup and your expectations a little further?

Do you have experience with how MIDI works?

Im currently running a C2 midied to a Stage2, but Ive had about 6 Nords in all. Same result. I have Midi experience. Without changing a thing i insert an Alesis Nanobass in the circuit and use the Thru Port to the Stage2. Voila, works perfect.

That is bizarre. There's no reason this shouldn't work. Even from the lowest end manufacturer, MIDI Out of one keyboard should be able to trigger MIDI In on another. (An unpowered MIDI accessory could have some issue requiring specific voltage, but not another keyboard.) I can think of a bunch of settings or cabling issues that could cause the C2 to not trigger the Stage 2, but I can't think of any that would be fixed by going into a sound module and back out its Thru. Weird!

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I've had instances connecting rental Nord Stage 2s to rental Korg Kronos's where I had to cycle the power and then they would talk to each other the way I needed them to. I'm no MIDI expert, but I can't explain why that happened.

The 2014 update to the MIDI spec' (v1.1) allows 3.3V signalling. Is it possible that one instrument is designed to the (1983) 5V standard and the other to the 3.3V?

Ok guys. You are right. My mistake. I am using an Anatek Pocket filter which I forgot was in the circuit. It is old and wants to see the 5mv not 3.3mv to operate correctly. The Alesis module must be providing the 5.0mv while the Nord does not. Again my apologies for not giving you ALL the information. Youre the best.

Archived