Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Newer Electronic Music (non-dance)

Looking for a broad discussion of newer (last 20 years or so) electronic music. I'm thinking Squarepusher, BoC, Aphex Twin, etc., etc. Not dance so much and not some guy running blues riffs on a Minimoog. What's out there?

[video:youtube]

Busch.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

May be pushing the 20yr limit, but in the early 2000's I listed to quite a bit of this....you mentioned Aphex Twin already, Chemical Brothers, Green Nuns of the Revolution, Juno Reactor, Add N to X, Photek, Prodigy.

Green Nuns of the Revolution "Rock Bitch"

[video:youtube]m1HI4NvCYB8

Juno Reactor "God is God"

[video:youtube]v8LY2VgiikE

Aphex Twin "Come to Daddy"

[video:youtube]h-9UvrLyj3k

Photek "Hidden Camera"

[video:youtube]LGRO1CzKCyw

Chemical Brothers "Let Forever Be"

[video:youtube]s5FyfQDO5g0

Fatboy Slim "Weapon of Choice"

[video:youtube]wCDIYvFmgW8

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

By "electronic"....I'm guessing synth orientated?

............a masterpiece of an album.

2 Korg M3-73's, Korg WS AD, Radias, , Kurz PC3LE7, Alesis QS6 + QS7.1 used for MIDI controllers. Omnisphere, Alchemy, Painoteq, Spacestation Amp and Berringer 14" sub

One of my favorites....

Love when the female vocals finally kick in.

2 Korg M3-73's, Korg WS AD, Radias, , Kurz PC3LE7, Alesis QS6 + QS7.1 used for MIDI controllers. Omnisphere, Alchemy, Painoteq, Spacestation Amp and Berringer 14" sub

My favorite and most played CD is Sasha Airdrawndagger.

More recently is two Bonobo releases. Dial M for Monkey and Animal Magic. These are more of a mix of electronic and acoustic.

It is just over 20 years old, but BT's Ima gave me hope for the future of non-dance electronic music.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Chicane.....

and

"Titles"...I love the synth strings in this.....

A little more Chicane...

"Barefoot"

And of course....ENO

Rare live version of "The Knowing", David Helpling and Jon Jenkins....

awesome...

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeet synths...

Blank and Jones....

Blank and Jones and Deep Forest remix

Marc Hellner I think..... "Cloudless exit"

The Light

M 83 "Outro" live....

Yup, I was gonna post AirdrawnDagger too.

Amethystium - Shadow to Light

I love the synths in these songs....

and

Exultation, Amethystium

A lot of variety here, I'm wondering how you guys would classify different versions of electronic? Dating back, there was Drum n Bass, World Beat, Ambient, Industrial, Trip Hop, moving into Dubstep, etc. Not sure which of those you'd consider dance vs non-dance or what other categories you may consider.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I've never strictly associated Electronic with a particular beat.

I've associated it with a certain threshold or percentage of sounds generated from synths...

Not having some guitar player twanging away...

Often I'm drawn to a song for just one element, a harmonic progress, the beat, a synth sound, etc. I'm not sure how they created the synth sound heard throughout Vision One, but I love it.

Love the drum sounds, considering 1997, sounds contemporary.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjI2J2SQ528

Busch.

I've never strictly associated Electronic with a particular beat.

I've associated it with a certain threshold or percentage of sounds generated from synths...

Not having some guitar player twanging away...

Yeah, let's keep things broad. As some have posted songs that are more dance, that's cool. Just didn't want to get into a bunch of trance, etc.

Guitar players had their 15 minutes of fame, played too loud and overstayed their welcome. It's now back to keyboard-based music which has dominated for centuries.

Busch.

Looking for a broad discussion of newer (last 20 years or so) electronic music. I'm thinking Squarepusher, BoC, Aphex Twin, etc., etc. Not dance so much and not some guy running blues riffs on a Minimoog. What's out there?

Busch.

This guy, who remains rather anonymous (can't find a lot on him) has done a variety of pieces. Some better than others, but his use of synthesizers is remarkable (IMO). Goes by the name: Ebotronix

Don

"Yes, on occasion I do talk to myself, sometimes I need an expert's opinion."

Alesis DG8, ARP(Korg)Odyssey Mk.1, Roland JU-06 & Keystation61. Stratocaster if I get tired of sitting.

I like Squarepusher too.

For something on a similar tangent, but a little more extreme, expecially in the lack of a recognizable meter:

Rare live version of "The Knowing", David Helpling and Jon Jenkins....

awesome...

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeet synths...

These guys are my favorite. David Helpling has a new album coming out very soon.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Archived