Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What Pedals to Add?

Delta

We've finally moved back into our Oceanside condo here in Florida after over half a year of renovations. I started putting my studio together today. I recently replaced 3 pedals on my board, a phaser, chorus, and flanger with an MXR flanger that seems to cover everything I need for those type of applications. This leaves me with space on my board for 2 more pedals. I play mainly blues based rock and a little jazz/rock fusion. The order I have set up right now going into my small Blackstar tube combo amp is compressor> overdrive> fuzz> flanger> wah> vibrato> octave> delay> looper. I've always been happy with my distortion/overdrive tones that I get with my Boss combo of an SD-1 into a Hyperfuzz, however I'm considering adding another distortion pedal along with a reverb pedal. Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.
"Let me stand next to your fire!", Jimi Hendrix

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We've finally moved back into our Oceanside condo here in Florida after over half a year of renovations. I started putting my studio together today. I recently replaced 3 pedals on my board, a phaser, chorus, and flanger with an MXR flanger that seems to cover everything I need for those type of applications. This leaves me with space on my board for 2 more pedals. I play mainly blues based rock and a little jazz/rock fusion. The order I have set up right now going into my small Blackstar tube combo amp is compressor> overdrive> fuzz> flanger> wah> vibrato> octave> delay> looper. I've always been happy with my distortion/overdrive tones that I get with my Boss combo of an SD-1 into a Hyperfuzz, however I'm considering adding another distortion pedal along with a reverb pedal. Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

You really have almost everything covered, and I say that as a dedicated effects freak. BTW, that Boss Hyperfuzz is a rare pedal; hang onto it.

Couple of thoughts. One thing I don't see is any kind of Pitch Shifting pedal, other than an Octave pedal way down the line? Consider a Digitech Pitchfork, or a Boss PS-series pedal; small footprint, lots of fresh sounds. Another very cool effect is Attack Delay - think Boss Slow Gear. T.C. Electronics (yeah, I know) just released a Swell pedal that's around $50, might be fun to check out. Put it first in line.

I tend to like having a Volume Pedal right before my Delay/Loopers, so I can cut off my signal, while Delays trail off. There are several mini-Volume Pedals out now, that don't have the long footprint of the old-style.

You want to get nuts, look at a Ring Modulator, or one of the various "Synth" pedals. Keep them up near the front of your signal chain, along with any Pitch shift effects.

Good hunting!

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

I've decided on the Electro Harmonox HD Tremola and the 40th anniversary edition of the Boss DS-1. Where to place them will be the next challenge. I'll keep you posted on the results. Loosend renovations coming up. I may have to tear down my studio once more. It's been a never ending saga.

Delta, I liked running my MXR Comp into my Boss DS-1. It would really increase the sustain and come on nice and loud when I kicked them both in...I'm thinking a Tremola next to the Vibrato as you might not be running them at the same time anyway...good luck and have fun playing with them! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

I absolutely love my Strymon Flint Tremolo and Reverb pedal; consider that the most classic tremolo sounds on recordings have reverb going into tremolo- the 'verb getting chopped-up by the tremolo- which order this pedal easily allows- and also that, while pricey, this is essentially two pedals in one. AND the sound quality is stellar; your dry-signal is kept 100% analog, never digitized, and noise is extremely low. Stereo signals can even be passed through.

Add to that the fact that there are three classic tremolo types to choose from, and three classic reverb types, as well. My favorites are its " '63 Tube" and " '61 Harmonic" Tremolos, and the " '70s Studio Plate" and " '80s Rack Hall" Reverbs.

You can even dial-in an automatic volume-boost to compensate fro the fact that tremolo sounds are generally perceived by the human ear as seeming to have an overall drop in volume; this way, solos using temolo aren't lost to the audience. The reverbs can even be dialed-in 100% wet, no dry signal, for amazing effects ranging from distant ambiance along the lines of the famous guitar-and-piano intro from "Aqualung", to wild tire-screeching sounds and like weirdness.

Add an external "Tap/Favorite" footswitch and a short TRS cable, and you can have a memorized control-setting programmed-in to alternate on the fly from whatever the controls are currently set to at any given time.

_______ [video:youtube]

_______ [video:youtube]

_______

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I've decided on the Electro Harmonox HD Tremola and the 40th anniversary edition of the Boss DS-1. Where to place them will be the next challenge. I'll keep you posted on the results. Loosend renovations coming up. I may have to tear down my studio once more. It's been a never ending saga.

I didn't have to tear down my studio again after all. Hallelujah! I added the above 2 pedals today. My initial placement is Compressor > OD > Fuzz > Distortion > Octave > Wah > Vibrato > Flanger > Tremola > Delay > Looper > Amp. I plugged my Strat in today and will plug my Godin Icon (Les Paul style) in tomorrow and go from there. So far, so good.

I didn't have to tear down my studio again after all. Hallelujah! I added the above 2 pedals today. My initial placement is Compressor > OD > Fuzz > Distortion > Octave > Wah > Vibrato > Flanger > Tremola > Delay > Looper > Amp. I plugged my Strat in today and will plug my Godin Icon (Les Paul style) in tomorrow and go from there. So far, so good.

You may find that your front-end Dynamics FX (Comp & the various OD/Fuzz/Dirt boxes) behave differently with the two different Guitars. I find that to be the case even with two HB-equipped Guitars. Have fun looking for the sweet spot!

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

You may find that your front-end Dynamics FX (Comp & the various OD/Fuzz/Dirt boxes) behave differently with the two different Guitars. I find that to be the case even with two HB-equipped Guitars. Have fun looking for the sweet spot!

Indeed!

I've even found that some guitars get along well with given pedals, and others don't at all.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

You seem to have all the bases pretty well covered. Unless you wanted to add something really weird, like a ring modulator, I don't know that you could improve your setup, really. If you're using a digital delay, you might consider getting an analog delay, for shorter delay times, i.e. slapback, etc. Or vice versa if you are already using an analog. I guess you could put a talk box of some sort in there, if you're into that. Denny Dias used one for a some Steely Dan tunes(Haitian Divorce comes to mind, I think there were others...)

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

You seem to have all the bases pretty well covered. Unless you wanted to add something really weird, like a ring modulator, I don't know that you could improve your setup, really. If you're using a digital delay, you might consider getting an analog delay, for shorter delay times, i.e. slapback, etc. Or vice versa if you are already using an analog. I guess you could put a talk box of some sort in there, if you're into that. Denny Dias used one for a some Steely Dan tunes(Haitian Divorce comes to mind, I think there were others...)

I have the Boss DD-5 delay and like the Hyperfuzz it's a keeper. By the way the Godin and the Strat seem to agree on my setup, however I have to trim down the attack on my compressor for the Godin. I also have an ESP KH (my metal monster) to plug in. Haven't got there yet.

Archived