Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Getting and External Synth to Sync to a DAW Tempo

Husker

I'm not having much luck with the Cubase forums, so I thought I would try here.

I'm a newbie, so I'm still learning about this. I am trying to get the master clock on my Nord A1R to sync to the the tempo of Cubase. I have everything connected through a Motu Midi Xpress XT as shown in the diagram below. According the the Nord manual, the master clock will automatically synchronize to any incoming midi clock messages, but the panel shows it is not receiving any. I've read through the Motu manual, but quite honestly I am lost here. Can someone at least get me started?

7CEArkW.jpg

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not familiar with Cubase anymore but in Reaper part of configuring each midi output is selecting whether to have clock transmitted on that port. You do have to be in play or record mode for the clock to be sent. And it does light up all the outputs on my MOTU MTP-AV.

Btw love the block diagram. Makes helping people so much easier.

Thank you, I'm fairly certain this is a DAW issue - I'm sure I don't have something configured correctly. None of my external hardware seems to be receiving clock, so it must be on the Motu or before in the chain, most likely Cubase.

Jonathan, good thought. I went ahead and started with a fresh Motu program, with just routing controller to synth enabled.

I need to keep crawling through the Cubase manual.

I'm fairly certain this is a DAW issue - I'm sure I don't have something configured correctly.

I'm pretty sure you're right. I don't know Cubase, but I know in Sonar, transmitting MIDI clock has to be enabled and the out port has to be enabled. My hunch would be to look in some kind of global preferences menu.

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

I believe you'll find everything you need on the following pages of the operation manual (assuming version 9.5)

Page 943:

MIDI clock

MIDI clock is a signal that uses position and timing data based on musical bars and beats to determine location and speed (tempo). It can perform the same function as a positional reference and a speed reference for other MIDI devices. Cubase supports sending MIDI clock to external devices but cannot slave to incoming MIDI clock.

The Project Synchronization Setup dialog

Cubases Project Synchronization Setup dialog provides a central place to configure a complex synchronized system. In addition to settings for timecode sources and machine control settings, project setup parameters are available along with basic transport controls for testing the system.

To open the Project Synchronization Setup dialog, select Transport > Project Synchronization Setup.

P. 947:

MIDI Clock Destinations

Some MIDI devices like drum machines can match their tempo and location to incoming MIDI clock. Select any MIDI ports that you want to output MIDI clock.

OK folks, I got this working last night. There are a few things that obviously need to be set up with this - the Nord, the Motu, and Cubase. I actually had everything set up correctly, but I was bit by some bad luck which I did not realize until I was paying close attention to the Nord last night.

Cubase is easy - just set all the correct check boxes per the manual.

I created a simple arp patch on the Nord. On that specific Nord, you have to set the arp to slave to the master clock. Once you do so, the rate knob will control the division of the master clock, instead of the actual clock rate.

I then created a fresh Motu program so that I could be sure that nothing was being filtered out on that unit.

Here was my bad luck. I had programmed one of my knobs on my FA to control the tempo in Cubase. Unfortunately, it was also sending some Midi CC that would turn OFF the "slave to master clock" on the Nord. Since the Moto was not filtering any Midi CCs anymore, this was bad luck (and an oversight on my part). Once I filtered that out (or simply just use the mouse in Cubase to change the tempo), everything works correctly.

Thank you all for your help.

Archived