Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Lack of horn rotation - Leslie 145

Dave Bryce

This reminds me of that well known story of Steppenwolf's keyboardist, the recently departed Goldy McJohn, and his Leslie. For Born to be Wild, his whole horn driver was kaputz. So they bypassed the crossover and sent all frequencies to the woofer. Hence the slow changes to spin speeds.

So, you could always go that route, I suppose. I always thought his organ sounded killer.

Yamaha P515 & CK88, Pianoteq, Mainstage, iOS, assorted other stuff.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This can happen over time if the two alignment nuts work their way loose too. I've had my motors go out of alignment a few times, but have never had to rebuild a motor. I still think you probably just need to take the time to realign them and get the nuts cinched down tight.

If the alignment nuts are what I think they are, I think this may be part of it.

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to share their exerience and counsel. It never ceases to amaze me what a valuable resource this forum is. :cool:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

This reminds me of that well known story of Steppenwolf's keyboardist, the recently departed Goldy McJohn, and his Leslie. For Born to be Wild, his whole horn driver was kaputz. So they bypassed the crossover and sent all frequencies to the woofer. Hence the slow changes to spin speeds.

So, you could always go that route, I suppose. I always thought his organ sounded killer.

Everybody also knows that the organ on that album was a Lowrey, yes?

Moe

---

When you develop a flat on the rubber tire, I used to twist it 1/4 turn so the flat moved to another position.

Yep, totally forgot about that trick!

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

:2thu:

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

Dave, have you considered a Hamptone 2 speed conversion kit?

https://www.goffprof.com/products/hamptone-2-speed-conversion-kit

Remove the slow motors from the stack, plug the fast motors into the hamptone kit and the kit will slow down the fast motors to slow automatically when the leslie switch is moved from fast to slow. I have one in my 122 after a series of slow motor fails. Haven't had once ounce of problems since.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Dave, have you considered a Hamptone 2 speed conversion kit?

https://www.goffprof.com/products/hamptone-2-speed-conversion-kit

Remove the slow motors from the stack, plug the fast motors into the hamptone kit and the kit will slow down the fast motors to slow automatically when the leslie switch is moved from fast to slow. I have one in my 122 after a series of slow motor fails. Haven't had once ounce of problems since.

I have not...but the fast motor is the one with the issues, not the slow one.

dB

Drifting a little further off topic.... but I haven't been all that happy with the Hamptone in my gigging Leslie. The horn uses a dual motor stack, but the bass rotor is a single-speed motor controlled by the Hamptone, and I can't get a consistent speed out of it. On Chorale the motor doesn't seem to have quite enough torque, and so the bass rotor doesn't spin at a consistent rate. If you hold stop the rotor with your finger, often the motor just stalls. And the speeds available with the DIP switches are all too far or too slow for my liking.

Dave Bryce --

The fast motor is the problematic one? That doesn't even make sense. The stuff you were talking about with the eccentric wheel blah blah blah would only affect the slow motor.

If you want, you can install Skype on your phone and video chat with me. PM me for contact details. This should not take more than 10 minutes to get you on a solution path.

OB Dave - the Hamptone (and Carribean Controls) units don't make a lot of torque. Get your motors in optimal condition and you might be in better shape. The MTCLogic kit from George Benton makes a bit better torque, but only a bit. Of course, when Tom O'Hanlan finishes the AMC-1 you could go that route, too. :)

Wes

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

OB Dave - the Hamptone (and Carribean Controls) units don't make a lot of torque. Get your motors in optimal condition and you might be in better shape. The MTCLogic kit from George Benton makes a bit better torque, but only a bit. Of course, when Tom O'Hanlan finishes the AMC-1 you could go that route, too. :)

Wes

Late last year I removed the Caribbean board from one of my 122s. I was never really happy with it and finally decided to buy new re-issued slow motors which imo is the best and most cost effective solution for a problematic slow motor. Btw the Caribbean board makes pulsing noises that are really annoying in a quiet studio/living room environment. For stage I imagine this would not be noticed.

The Hamptone makes those pulsing noises too. The BookerLAB product definitely looks like the way to go.

Wes: I think the issue that Dave Bryce is having might be that the slow motor has somehow gotten jammed in too tight on the tire, and the side forces on the bearings are such that neither motor can turn anymore.

Wes: I think the issue that Dave Bryce is having might be that the slow motor has somehow gotten jammed in too tight on the tire, and the side forces on the bearings are such that neither motor can turn anymore.

I believe that's correct - slow motor does appear to be okay when separated from the fast one.

I'm hoping to have this resolved tomorrow.

dB

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, so maybe that took longer than expected. :pop::D

Both upper and lower motors needed rebuilding. O-rings and a few other minor parts wanted replacing...all is now well.

MAN, I missed having that working correctly. :)

Thanks to everyone who helped - especially to Marky for the phone consults! :wave:

dB

Glad to help Dave. Now allow me to nag you and the rest of the forum for one (more) post here. When you get around to having your A100 (or anything else with an A0-28 preamp) serviced, do yourself and family a favor and install THIS along with a check and replace of your power cord if needed. As one who ignored the risk for far too long I sleep much better now (daytime naps of course :bor:) . But seriously very easy to install especially compared to the A0-29 in the M3 which requires drilling holes for 5 individual fuses.

Cheap insurance guys - sorry for the lecture.

• 11 months later...
So my 122 from a100 wont stop spinning - I tried unplugging the cable and switching on and off while unplugged as I think that worked last time - it stops when unplugged but still spins when I power up the Hammond again - suggestions?

So my 122 from a100 wont stop spinning - I tried unplugging the cable which work last time and switching on and off while unplugged as I think that worked last time - stops when unplugged but still sound when I power up the Hammond again - suggestions?

If you were unplugging/replugging and got it to temp fix (don't do that btw) I'd be looking at the leslie amp relay and the 12au7 tube (one furthest from the volume pot).

Test w new/used working 12au7.

Also look over the cable connections (open ea end up make sure all wires ea end are soldered intact)

relay test: Very lightly file with higher grain emory board (or try just contact cleaner only) on the relay tip. Test. If it works for a while after that (likely won't last forever) order a new 122 relay (ez to replace, 2 small solder points).

Thanks very much for the reply JoJo and sorry for my typos - I should know better than to type a post my iPhone without reading glasses! I only see one 12AU7 tube in my Leslie. Or am I missing something?

Wiring looks ok.

Can I use a 12AX7 or 12AT7 tube instead?

I dont seem to have any spare 12AU7 tubes.

So, I didn't see the end of this thread last year, but DB - that can happen spontaneously in the van if the motors have been reassembled "mis-clocked". That can only happen if you have had the fast motor apart. If you have, double check your orientation for correct balance.

Sorry - my Leslie is actually a 147, in case that changes anything.

Oh, it said 122 previously. Still, ya got a relay so...worth checking (and the leslie cable connections, remove and do a visual check). Rule out all the items YOU can do because finding a tech can be tough and paying for one found might be even tougher. Besides, there's a lot you can do yourself.

More likely the motor alignment (or O-ring wear, etc) here though (no slow). My reply applies for for leslies 'stuck on fast'

Dglavko - it does change things. In a 147, you need the tremolo switch signal to engage slow. The most likely cause for your failure is a broken wire somewhere between that switch and your Leslie.

The next most likely cause in a 147 is a shorted arc suppression capacitor; this can cause the fast motor to stay engaged all the time regardless of relay position. It will also cause the slow motor to be engaged when it should be....in this case, the two motors fight each other and the fast motor wins. You can troubleshoot this by watching the behaviour of the lower slow motor very carefully.

Archived