Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kurzweil display issues

keyoctave

Hello all,

My PC3s display has been acting up. I can no longer adjust the brightness level. It only displays full brightness or nothing when i adjust the pot. The contrast adjustment works fine. Has anyone had this issue?

I am up to replacing what ever parts that i may need, just don't know which ones to get (new screen, display board, etc).

Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK-1 + Ventilator, Korg Triton. 2 JBL Eon 510's.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes. Same thing happened to me. the brightness pot was damaged. Eventually the display will go dark and the pot will need to be replaced. I got two years out of mine before this happened. YMMV. Just get the pot replaced. Total cost about $125 for part and labor.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

If it's just the pot I think you should be able to just get it replaced as Dave mentioned.

If it's the whole display module...

I believe that in recent years the original display module is no longer available and a new display board is required. Helped a friend out with a case like this last year. A drag, but not the end of the world. Hopefully it's just the pot.

You can locate a service center here: http://kurzweil.com/service_centers/

I would rather check this out instead of just replacing the potentiometer for the same amount of money:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Kurzweil-K2500-K2600-KSP8-RSP8-K2661-PC3-PC361-Graphic-Display-TM24064KQ-/152865766887

The product description is in English.

The display is also available on reverb.com:

https://reverb.com/item/6678440-graphic-display-upgrade-kurzweil-k2500-k2600-ksp8-rsp8-k2661-pc3-pc361-tm24064kq

LIFE IS SHORT, GO GET THE GEAR YOU WANT ;-)

Yes. Same thing happened to me. the brightness pot was damaged. Eventually the display will go dark and the pot will need to be replaced. I got two years out of mine before this happened. YMMV. Just get the pot replaced. Total cost about $125 for part and labor.

Mine has just started acting up... pretty much the same as what you described... I touch or wiggle the brightness pot, and the light goes back on (or flickers until stable). Currently the light stays on if the pot is set all the way to max brightness. But I suspect this will get worse as time goes on, so I'm gearing up for the repair.

Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Alesis Ion, Kawai K3M

I ordered a new brightness pot from Full Compass. Cost $35 with shipping.

My plan is to open the keyboard, remove the circuit board its on (i have a service manual) and take it to an electronics tech to have the new one soldered on (there is an authorized repair center near me). Ive opened the case up a few times in the past (most recently to do the spring replacement). Though im good at soldering, i dont want to take a chance on mucking up the circuit board.

Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK-1 + Ventilator, Korg Triton. 2 JBL Eon 510's.

Archived