Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Used Hammond XK3, fair value?

zephonic

A local retailer has this used Hammond XK-3 up for sale, an associate told me it goes for $1000. I don't know much about organs, but that seems like a good price, no? A cursory glance at Ebay and Reverb show them at closer to $1500. This things is not in mint condition, it looks like it has been on the road.

Any known weak spots or things to check with these? I played it for a bit and it seemed fine, but again, I'm fairly clueless about them.

Thanks.

local: Korg Nautilus 61 AT | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer | 16" MBP M1 Max

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The XK3 is obsolete.

Um... no.

Sure it is. So are my Minimoog, Multimoog, Wurlitzer 200 and Hammond Dave's B-3s and Mellotrons.

and my Rhodes 88 Stage Mark II. Very obsolete, especially after VV rebuilt it. Now it is just a stand for my Hohner E7 with the VV pre amp installed. :crazy:

:nopity:

Just sold one on consignment at my local music store. Buyer gave about 1100. I got 900 and was satisfied enough. Considering the XK3c and SKs are out there as competition, around a grand seems like a fair price.

Was yours in good condition? The one I'm looking at seems to function fine, but it has certainly been gigged a lot.

local: Korg Nautilus 61 AT | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer | 16" MBP M1 Max

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

I lost three screws to my xk3. Does anybody know where to get replacements?? I've searched all over. I even tried set off ebay that don't fit. Help somebody

Take one to your local hardware store & see if you can match it? If that doesn't work, try calling Hammond directly.

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

I would think these are metric fasteners based on the build in Japan. They base these on the size (mm) and thread pitch. A good hardware or auto parts store would be a good place to look. Bring a sample and ask for a match.

Musicale

I wonder if some folks in this thread rallying to the defense of the keyboard in question are confusing the XK3 with the newer (all things relative) XK3c?

Well, my comment wasn't so much rallying to the defense of a particular keyboard as it was pointing out that obsolescence doesn't make something worthless. I'm proud of most of my obsolete toys... one of which is a (gasp) Hammond X-5 post tone-wheel, pre-Suzuki organ, complete with (OMG) colored tabs. I've made some great music with that (what others would describe as a) POS.

FWIW, I think an XK3 thru a Vent or real Leslie would sound lovely (with perhaps only sparing use of the CV).

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

A local retailer has this used Hammond XK-3 up for sale, an associate told me it goes for $1000. I don't know much about organs, but that seems like a good price, no? A cursory glance at Ebay and Reverb show them at closer to $1500. This things is not in mint condition, it looks like it has been on the road.

Any known weak spots or things to check with these? I played it for a bit and it seemed fine, but again, I'm fairly clueless about them.

Thanks.

I was looking at that too. lol

Soul, R&B, Pop from Los Angeles

http://philipclark.com

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50

I wonder if some folks in this thread rallying to the defense of the keyboard in question are confusing the XK3 with the newer (all things relative) XK3c?

Orig version XK3 here, made my own tonewheel set. Sounds damn good with a real vintage leslie in regard to the clone world. With DIY lower manual and midi-fied orig 25-note hammond pedals, it's doing what I need (and then some)

I feel the orig XK3/XK3c were designed with real leslie in mind, it just sounds so much better with a vintage leslie in regard to C/V, Perc, etc. Straight from the board it's decent/usable but the same through a vintage leslie is much better.

(imo) The XK3 sounds "decent" with a Vent or Burn sim and out a speaker/pwrd mon.

Not so much with the onboard leslie sim (although it's not terrible actually).

Maybe one day when I stop taking out the real B3 I move to an XK5 but no rush or need at the moment.

I DO wish I had the 3c for one reason and that's the extra midi control (currently experimenting with organ-VSTi setup and I can use those controls).

XK3 example:

* no XK3 OD Preamp, sim OFF.

11-pin out to 6-pin vintage 122 (the OD/distortion is all Leslie).

[video:youtube]Z_0lpZYM4pI

XK3/122 + VSTi on MS Surface:

[video:youtube]2xfnQbi8vpw

Buying at $800-1k seems just fine.

There is one area I wish Hammond-Suzuki would update/get away from, and that's their crappy little white/grey "buttons" for switching (perc, verb, split, little square buttons) found on XK and SK line. They just aren't as "playable" nor durable than the larger rocker switches. I'd love to see at least the perc switching turn to rockers.

It's a U/I/space-saver route of course but still...not nearly as enjoyable as the rockers.

Archived