Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dexibell Vivo S3?

Hello all and best of the season! I'm considering ordering one of these and I'm not able to try it before hand. I'd love to hear from members who have played or own one of these. I'm looking for small footprint, lightweight and good hammer action. the plan is to pair it with my Mojo 61. I currently use a Nord Stage EX 76. All comments are welcome! Cheers, Ken

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe the Vivo S3 has a Fatar TP100 action, so the feel would be similar to the Nord Stage 2EX 76, but not the original Nord Stage EX 76 which used the better feeling Fatar TP40. By comparison the TP100 feels a little heavier/slower, but a lot of people are fine with it. I didn't like the EPs on the Dexibel I played, but the EPs on the Mojo 61 are supposed to be pretty good so maybe that wouldn't much of a factor for you anyway. It does have a lot of nice features and good interface/ergonomics.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Not much in the way of owners here yet, maybe someone will surprise us. What we know is their claim to fame is the audio engine is running at 24bit/48k and the Quadcore processor onboard can do very high polyphony - most competing products run 16bit/44.1k with a 128 or 256 poly limit. How much this plays into how well the instrument sounds to you is subjective since it's hard to discern these things live in the room through an amp (especially when playing in a band setting) and note stealing algorithms are employed on other products to deal with lower polyphony. However, the added poly is probably great for layers and splits.

Other neat things are 79 user locations for your own sounds, and it handles the Sound Font format which is convenient since there are TONS of free SF samples out there and it's easy to make your own. Can also expand memory with a USB thumb drive.

They are using Fatar TP actions like many other developers like Nord and Kurzweil. 22lbs my guess is this is the TP-100? Check here for other keyboards that use the same action and you can at least see what it feels like near where you live perhaps. https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2898157/1

The user interface is well thought out. 3 pedal inputs, 7 rotaries, Pitch and Mod wheels, 2 assignable switches, 4 midi zones.

https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2829790/Re_Dexibell_Vivo_S7_S3_stage_p

https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2870520/Re_Dexibell_Vivo_S7

https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2750271/Dexibell_S7_Vivo_Stage_Piano

Looks like Scott got to sit at one (above). And as also mentioned... we're weeks away from Winter NAMM. If no rush, let's see what develops.

Others to consider: Yamaha CP4, Kurzweil SP6, Casio PX-5S

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

The S3 is a very nice keyboard. It is quite nice. The build quality is excellent - metal and solid. The layout of the panel is oriented to buttons instead of knobs. It is well thought out and easy to use with nice flexibility.

It has four zones for layering and splits. You need to use the menu to do these but it is easy to do and deep diving is not necesary.

Selecting sounds (they call programs) and prgrams (which they call multis) is very easy with buttons or a wheel at your choice.

I like the feel of the keybed but this is so subjective .....

The sounds are quite nice. To my ear, Dexibelle has the best piano. The samples are up to 15 seconds long and the little sounds are so well done. There are some good YT vids comparing the S3/7 to others.

The other sounds are nice. Some have criticized the Leslie effect. There are no drawbars or sliders for the Hammond organ.

Their engine is the same across all of their keyboards. It is a quad core processor - 320 oscillators and unlimited polyphony. All of my Dexibells (5) have been flawless in quality and rock solid - no glitches.

Overall, I really like it. I am a bid fan of Dexibelle.

Thomas Shea

Nebraska

teashea, you have 5 Dexibell instruments!?

Two of them are the Combo J7? What are the other three?

Are you an endorsed artist? If so you should share that fact when commenting on their instruments.

You also have the new Korg VOX. What an interesting collection!

What else is in it? And what style(s) of music do you focus on?

teashea, you have 5 Dexibell instruments!?

Two of them are the Combo J7? What are the other three?

Are you an endorsed artist? If so you should share that fact when commenting on their instruments.

You also have the new Korg VOX. What an interesting collection!

What else is in it? And what style(s) of music do you focus on?

I an not an endorsing artist. I have two J7's, two Classico LE's and one S3. I do like equipment and the various technical aspects. In the general category I also have an Artis 7, Electro 5D, Stage 3, Numa Organ 2, XK5, Legend, Legend Live, Moho, C2D. As far as music, I like a broad range of music including jazz, rock and blues.

Thomas Shea

Nebraska

Ok --- I will post some photos...... BTW I was honored to have Mitch Towne come by a couple weeks ago and play some of my keyboards ----- He is a wonderful guy.......

If your collection keeps growing, you'll be the go to guy for try before you buy! :)

Leave a donation jar out in your practice room!

What did Mitch have to say about the Combo J7?

Does he concur with your high praise?

Kraft Music has them for sale now, along with package deals (roller case, etc.). It appears they're actually in stock vs. on order. $1700 as I recall.

Seriously considering this board, or maybe its console version with fully graded action and tri-pedals.

OTOH, I am strictly impressed by the acoustic piano sounds and none of the others, and still would rather have something other than Fatar action.

I can't wait much longer for a board though, as it's now been 3-4 years. The price is right, and I think this sounds a better board than the revived GEM Promega (still not available). Slightly better than Kawai, perhaps.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

The Kawai CA98 is the specific model I have my eye/ear on:

https://www.kawai.de/products/digitalpianos/caserie/ca98/

At a comparable price to the Dexibell Vivo though, I think they may have the edge over the comparable MP-series from Kawai.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Here's an overly verbose review of the Home versions of these keys (H3 and H7):

https://azpianonews.blogspot.com/2017/12/dexibell-vivo-h7-h3-review-digital-piano-comparison-low-price.html

No escapement, which is probably a deal-killer for me. Pretty sure the Kawai CA98 has escapement. Probably better pedal handling also.

Nevertheless, I think Dexibell's entire range is good value and a step up for the most part from what other manufacturers have been offering. And if I go a more portable route vs. a home keyboard, I'd be more inclined towards their Vivo S7 (only $100 more than the S3, for one more octave), than the Kawai MP-series.

This is a good video introduction:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=dexibell+vivo+s3&qpvt=dexibell+vivo+s3&view=detail&mid=41EF29F9D3809B14349441EF29F9D3809B143494&&FORM=VDRVRV

The S3 looks like an interesting option if you want a very light board with hammer action. I'm a fan of the TP100 action. It's not the best, but it's kind of remarkable for how much hammer action feeling it gives you for not much more mass than unweighted keys. As a member of the light-is-right club, I can't help but like it.

Based on videos, the EPs aren't quite as vibrant as the best offered by Korg, Nord, and others. But they're useable.

To my ears, the jury is out on the leslie effect. On some videos the fast speed sounds harsh and warbly. On others, it sounds ok.

I hope to see Dexibell in stores sometime soon.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I found the manual here:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=dexibell+vivo+s3&qpvt=dexibell+vivo+s3&view=detail&mid=41EF29F9D3809B14349441EF29F9D3809B143494&&FORM=VDRVRV

Implementation looks pretty good. It's too bad there isn't separate volume controls for each side of a split. If I understand the manual, adjusting the lower part means a button press and then a knob twist. To me that's a significant flaw for live use.

The S1 looks pretty cool too. I like the concept . . . sort of the Italian RD-64, and even more portable. But no indication that it's coming to the States.

Yes, something like 48 seconds from what I read, which is on par with the old Nord Lead 3 and was a huge problem at gigs since digital gear is highly voltage sensitive and can trigger a reset quite easily when there's a drop in power.

Isn't that typical though? The reviews I read of the Dexibell said it was in line with other manufacturers in that regard. Korg stuff takes a while to boot. Does Roland gear? Is Nord still slow to start? What about Yamaha? Kawai?

Some comparisons...

Nord Electro 5D, 17 sec

Kurzweil Artis7, 11 sec

Yamaha MOXF, 8 sec

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Scott, thanks for those comparative numbers. I wonder if Dexibell will be able to speed up the boot time with a firmware rev? Is there really that much more going on in the engine, that basic initialization should take so long even before loading or tweaking patches?

I just read that the Dexibells need nearly one minute to boot up after Power On. This would be a deal breaker for me. For the very same reason I never considered a Kronos.

Mine all take about 40 seconds to boot up. It is that quad core processor that is so powerful - I don't mind the time but I only play my Dexibells at home. So - different situation than a performer on the road.

Thomas Shea

Nebraska

I didn't see a direct comparison to Yamaha CP4, but did see a couple of binary comparisons that sort of indirectly let you get fairly close to such a comparison.