Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Help Me Spend Some Money

Husker

I got a Christmas bonus, and am looking for some advice on how to spend it. I would like to get something rack mountable, as I don't have much desk space at all.

I currently have an FA08, a Moog Slim Phatty, as well as a Nord A1R. I was looking at an Integra 7, but there is a fair amount of overlap with the FA08.

I have plenty of VSTs, so I was looking for a piece of hardware. I only have 3U to work with. Any suggestions?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not much in new racks to get excited about but plenty second hand and vintage

Integra-7 if you want everything Roland ever stuck in a JV, XV, and more supernatural stuff than they put in your FA

Roland V-Synth XT is on my list, 4U though.

A Yamaha FS1R is pretty dope too. TX802 is very FM.

Lots of desktop models these days. I sorta am eager to try the Novation Peak.

But there's so many... from the DM12 to the Dave Smith stuff and Roland Boutique, etc.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I got

I currently have an FA08, a Moog Slim Phatty, as well as a Nord A1R. I was looking at an Integra 7, but there is a fair amount of overlap with the FA08.

Roland is claiming you can add all the Integra sounds in the FA. There is a YT on this.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

Its kind of a bummer that the 19" format seems to be dying.
Nobody wants to schlep a rack around anymore. Home studios are using VST's. It's supply and demand, that's all.

I have plenty of VSTs, so I was looking for a piece of hardware. I only have 3U to work with. Any suggestions?

Get a larger rack (just one more space) and buy a Studio Electronics C.O.D.E. :puff:

http://www.studioelectronics.com/products/synths/code/#crumbs

:nopity:

I recently bought a Yamaha XS rack unit. It has the usual number of weird noises that I can't figure out a use for, but there are also some very good tones hidden in that box. I particularly like the selection of pipe organs and vocal (ooohs and aaaahs) voices. Other things will probably find uses as time goes by.

(Vocal voices...he-he!)

Oh, and it's only 1U, so you'll still have room to grow.

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

True true, for a completely different set of bread and butter timbres and then some rather than the Roland stuff - an XS or ES rack it is nice. An ES rack can hold a synth on it yet too (AN or DX) on a PLG card. Not sure if the old XP editors will run on new Windows in legacy mode?

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Fairly recently I found a number of wonderful rack synths at estate sales: Yamaha TX816, Roland MKS-70 (with programmer), Roland D-550, Roland MKS-20. I paid ~$1600 total for these are they're all in excellent condition. Additionally I have the SE Omega-8 and the Integra-7, plus some others not pictured. The TX816 and MKS-70 are absolutely wonderful. If you're persistent, you can find some great old rack synths.

http://www.purgatorycreek.com/PCS-xtras/images/DSC07358.jpg

Busch.

Yeah. What I have found, however, is that though VSTs are great, I really like the knobs.

I completly, 100% , agree with you. :thu:

Same here, except many of the racks mentioned/shown here don't have knobs or have a limited amount. In this case I much prefer VSTs with a knobby controller.

Archived