Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hamburg Steinway factory tour

Dave Ferris

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, back in the day, I was in Vienna, and did the Bosendorfer factory tour, prior to them being bought by Yamaha.

Over a decade later, I ended up buying one, because, well, it freakin' mattered. Same deal with Porsches. Don't get involved, you'll end up figuring out a way to buy one, because it freakin' matters.

Damn.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

I'm having a devil of a time getting it to load and play, but it looks as though it'll be interesting if I can just get all the way through.

Grey

It's on You Tube as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAVaaB_3Hmo

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAVaaB_3Hmo

Often these type of threads evolve into the whole NY vs Hamburg thing. Suffice to say and stating the obvious, I wouldn't kick either piano out of bed. I pinch myself everyday for the last 11 years when I go out to my studio. Lucky and blessed beyond words.

I did come across a well written blog that I agree with regarding the tonal differences between the two.

http://pianoperfectllc.com/blog/2016/10/24/steinway-sons-a-tonal-journey

I'm having a devil of a time getting it to load and play, but it looks as though it'll be interesting if I can just get all the way through.

Grey

It's on You Tube as well.

Many thanks. I wasted an inordinate amount of time trying to get that going. The YouTube version worked the first time.

Question:

Where in a Steinway piano do they use bubinga?

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

Question:

Where in a Steinway piano do they use bubinga? Grey

That I wouldn't know for certain but can only guess it might be the custom pianos known as the Crown Jewel collection with the exotic finishes.

Just a quick search found this :

A Steinway-related documentary that is fascinating and fun is Pianomania (2009), which follows the chief Steinway tech in Vienna (Stefan Knupfer) as he selects, preps and tweaks Steinway D's for performing artists in concert halls and other sites. It of course shows how particular some (most?) classical artists are about getting the piano regulated and voiced just right, but it also shows how much fun Stefan has with them...he has a good sense of humor. Not sure where to find Pianomania online....I got it from my library.

Very nice video. Thanks for sharing Dave.

I have two questions, maybe someone could answer:

-Is the action made by Steinway, or are they buying that? As fabrication is not shown in the video.

-It's said every Steinway sound different. Are they deliberately making different actions and sounding piano's, or is this just kind of outcome of the process?

Rudy

The NY Steinways have their own action made by them - or made by someone for them.

The Hamburg Steinways use the Renner action.

They both also use different hammers. Again Hamburg, the Renner hammers and NY, the Steinway hammers. A good history and summation is in that blog I posted.

Very generally speaking, NYs can have a more darker, girthier sound. The Hamburgs , being true to their European heritage, are often described as more clear and brighter sounding.

Like the blog said though, much can be done in the prep/setup of either piano so that today, often they are indistinguishable upon listening.

Archived