Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Korg Module

Heartbeat

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Neo Soul keys do all rhodes and Wurlie but no organs, no pads, no synths, like the Korg Module does.

If you want to replace you really have to buy and Neo Soul and Sample tank

I still believe that Korg Module is the best all around iPad module for its price

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

Ravenscroft for ios is a great all around ios piano, too. I am using it and Neo Soul Keys when I play on just my Viscount Legend Live for some extra sounds. I have a nice synth app called Poison which sounds really good, too. That seems to cover all of my bases when I just want to play a double manual dedicated organ clone and have some extra sounds there when needed.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

Ispecifically pianos, Rhodes, wurleys and clavs? iOS IPad

The aforementioned Neo Soul Keys does not have acoustic pianos, afaik.

Another possibility could be GarageBand. The biggest limitation is (at least last I checked), it is MIDI "Omni" meaning you can't easily run it in conjunction with any other MIDI app. So it's fine if that's the only app you're running, but not if you want to simultaneously run multiple MIDI apps in conjunction with one another.

Since it sounds like Korg Module does what you want, though, why are you looking for something else? Are you unhappy with some particular sound or feature of Module, or running into some issue with it?

Getting back to running multiple apps simultaneously, if what you need is "pianos, Rhodes, wurleys and clavs," you don't *necessarily* have to get it all in a single app. As long as you choose apps that can be addressed on their own MIDI channels, you could choose one app for AP and another for EP, for example. That said, piano/EP apps, often with large sample sizes, may tax the resources of your iPad if you try to run them in conjunction with other apps, especially if you have an older iPad with slower processor and/or less RAM. But if you have a capable enough iPad, you may be able to run your favorite AP app and your favorite EP app, even if they are not the same app.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

The idea of not having a powerful enough IPad has crossed my mind. Here's what I'm trying to run:

- Korg Module

- Korg ARP Oddysey

- Korg M1

- Alina string synth

All of these go into IMidiPatchbay which acts as a sub mixer for thes four apps. My iPad is a mini 2 with 32gb of RAM and is 64bit architecture. Korg Module and the Natural Piano patch is the one that gives me the most problem, either with latency or the patch will just not sound right?? This requires reloading the Korg Module app which today fixed the problem. But this whole soft synth scenario is driving me nuts. I will say the other samples (Rhodes, Wurly, Clav seem to be fine. It's the acoustic piano that always gives me grief, and it is the one I use the most. Does loading apps in a specific order make any difference?

Running 5 apps (the 4 that make sound, plus iMidiPatchbay) is a lot for a Mini 2, which, btw, has 1 gb of RAM (the 32 gb you mention is not active memory,, but rather storage space, like the hard drive on your computer). The iPad Mini 4 has 2 gb of RAM, The iPad Pro models have 2 or 4 gb of RAM. The biggest benefit of extra RAM is, in fact, being able to reliably run more apps simultaneously.

Any chance you could be happy enough with the M1 acoustic piano sound, to use that instead of the one in Korg Module, which seems to be what's putting your system over the edge?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Plus one for sample tank. No need for midi apps, you can have up to eight sounds playing at once, in their own zones, volume, etc. And they have a lot of sounds to choose from, many of which I like.

Personally, I cant stand the module, for almost any of those sounds.

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win11 laptop // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

Wow, don't know how I missed the Ram on the IPad mini 2. Serious miscalculation. At this point the M1 is not a necessary app, so I'm gonna put it aside for now. Couldn't use the M1 piano as seriously 80's sound to it.

Gonna see if Apple will do me a trade up. Less than a year old.

Wow, don't know how I missed the Ram on the IPad mini 2.

Easy to do, Apple does not publicize those figures, you have to go search out the tech specs elsewhere.

The difference between 1 gb and 2 gb of RAM is even "bigger" than it sounds, because of the first gigabyte, a good chunk (at least a quarter of it, I think) is taken up just with the required OS and display memory.

Wonder if the OP has the Ivory piano add-on for Module. That makes a difference over the regular pianos. I have all of the add-ons, which gives me a choice of over 500 different patches.

Running on an iPad mini2, also on an iPad 3 (even older) with no problems. However, I'm not running any other software at the same time (don't need to, have just about all the patches I would want, although I do have some other apps like Animoog when I want a synth, iFretless Bass which is great for bass guitar, Korg IM1, iCathedral pipe organs, and Galileo if I want Hammond with working drawbars.

I still stay in Module 90% or more of the time for the times I use the iPad. Even have it with a reduced set of patches on the iPhone 6.

Sometimes used as a sound module with my PC3, other times as a minimal footprint package for times I only need a few tunes and setup time is limited.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Kind of an individual thing - I personally prefer the pianos in the Ivory addition. The Hammond/Leslie really to me is the very best of Module (although one can not change drawbar settings), I like it better than any keyboard I have. I must confess that I use the Hammond, Wurly, and Rhodes sounds more than the acoustic pianos.

Since you have Ivory, try switching to it and see. I have taken the sounds that I like most, set them up in the User preset area, made a few edits, that way they are all together for easy selection while playing.

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

The best part of Module is having pretty decent pianos, Rhodes, Wurlys Clavs and other EPs in one app. Some of the other apps names here are great but it is nice having it all in one app. Then again, if you want to connect two keyboards and play a Rhodes on one and a piano on another then you need either two apps or something like Sampletank which lets you create layers and splits.

Each patch in Module can have up to 2 effects and there is a very tweakable trem right on top in the app. I find the piano very playable although you can't really edit the velocity curve very much as there is just 1 movable point on the curve within module. I think a lot is lost when the curve is not set properly so I edit the curve in MidiFlow which makes the piano respond so much better.

If you want B3 sounds then I would personally skip the ones in Module and instead grab Galileo from Yonac which is fairly inexpensive and is quite good. It has MIDI assignable drawbars, lots of options, and sounds pretty good.

if you want to connect two keyboards and play a Rhodes on one and a piano on another then you need either two apps or something like Sampletank which lets you create layers and splits.

Actually, it's not the layer/split feature you need, but the ability to assign different sounds to different MIDI channels.

I really like my Korg Model. Its a great companion to my Mojo.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

AnotherScott, I don't think you can create layers or splits with more than 1 patch in Module if with different midi channels.

Module is entirely monotimbral. It doesn't have the ability to layer/split multiple sounds on a single MIDI channel, nor does it have the ability to assign different sounds to different MIDI channels. My point was only that the latter and the former are two different things, and If someone's goal is to play two different sounds from two different keyboards, it is the latter function it needs, not the former. Though off-hand, I don't know whether any app that has one of those functions doesn't also have the other.

Module is entirely monotimbral. It doesn't have the ability to layer/split multiple sounds on a single MIDI channel, nor does it have the ability to assign different sounds to different MIDI channels. My point was only that the latter and the former are two different things, and If someone's goal is to play two different sounds from two different keyboards, it is the latter function it needs, not the former. Though off-hand, I don't know whether any app that has one of those functions doesn't also have the other.

Got it. I was referring to the limitation in Module in that it is of course monotimbral. My point was that if you want splits or the ability to play two patches separately from different controllers then you need to look at something else as Module doesn't have that option.

if you want to connect two keyboards and play a Rhodes on one and a piano on another then you need either two apps or something like Sampletank which lets you create layers and splits.

Actually, it's not the layer/split feature you need, but the ability to assign different sounds to different MIDI channels.

SampleTank is multitimbral up to 8 channels?

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Started up my rig this morning and once again Korg Module not loading the Natural Grand piano samples properly. If I close Module app and reload it might load properly. Think I'm going buy SampleTank and see if it can replace my use of Korg Module in my rig. Frustrating for sure.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

I've never had that happen, and I do have a mini 2 with Module. First suggestion would be to delete it from the iPad, then install it again (I know, a bit of a pain since you will still have to add the add-ins afterward).

This would at least help determine if there was something corrupt in the original loading on your iPad.

I have SampleTank, in the full version. Wound up removing it, because I just was not satisfied with the sounds. This doesn't mean that you won't like the sounds.

Might want to load the free version of ST first and see what you think of sounds (greatly reduced number of them). I wound up buying all of the sounds for the free version. Far as I can tell, that makes it like the full version.

Jim

• 5 months later...

A quick usage report from yesterday. I had a 12-hr studio session with a big-band and the iPad Pro 2 was in constant use, running Module in the background and ForScore in the foreground, sending MIDI and audio to the control room through an iConnectAudio 2+. The Ivory piano and the Scarbee Rhodes played and sounded superb and the iPad was rock solid running with a 128-sample buffer.

This is a fantastic setup. I much prefer the simplicity of using only Module rather than several different apps routing audio through AudioBus, which I have found not to be as stable. With the availability of the Scarbee Rhodes in Module, I have no need to run any other instruments or effects.

I much prefer the simplicity of using only Module rather than several different apps routing audio through AudioBus, which I have found not to be as stable.

If you ever do need some sound from something other than Module, you can run a second app without bothering wth AudioBus, if you just make sure that Module and the other app are set to respond to different MIDI channels (assuming your controller has some way of routing different key ranges and/or different patches to different MIDI channels).

I was hoping that as well, particularly for you. Perhaps Cinco De Mayo, or Memorial Day? Fourth of July is a ways off...well phooey, these are all western hemisphere holidays anyway. Not many holidays in June...8th is World Oceans Day, 14th is World Blood Donation Day; good causes for sure, but not likely to inspire a Korg sale. Summer NAMM is June 28-30...surely there will be excitement about a new Korg something-or-other to prompt an event?

Excuse my being an ignorant foreigner, but when is Memorial Day? We don't celebrate that one over here.

I know that Korg had a sale over Easter 2015 and 2017. Maybe it's a bi-ennial thing?

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

FYI, While module does not allow one to access multiple patches simultaneously, either through layer/split or separate midi channels, this can be accomplished through gadget (via audiobus). Lots of YouTube videos available. Also check out audiobus forum. This can be a little convoluted to a iOS musician and/or midi newbie, so your best bet may be to access synth/instrument apps via audiobus or AUM (for ease of use I strongly recommend limiting your synth/instrument apps to those that fully support audio units (AU)) both audiobus and AUM make it ridiculously easy and are so far to date the closest thing we have to a mainstage replacement (I dont count SampleTank due to less than stellar sound quality.) iM1 will also work in a pinch, but like sampletank, only with sounds resident within the app.

Archived