Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Trade up px5s to cp4 or more?

omvibes

Hi all,

Recently got a px5s, partly off the back of the reviews in this very fine forum. I can see why it is such a popular board, lightweight, great core sounds, master keyboard potential. However, the clacky keyboard feel on mine has increasingly made me fall out of love with it, and so I am contemplating trading up (although to be clear, it beat the hell out of my previous stage piano, a heavy as a rock Roland rd600).

The Yamaha cp4 seems to get rave reviews here, for my situation (piano playing) it has a ton of features and instruments I do not need, and also is rather heavier than I would like, in terms of portability. However, if the feel of the instrument is far superior to the px5s, then I am interested (no way to try one out where I live, however I did try another Yamaha comparative product recently, can't remember which, and noted that the distance between the top of the note and the bed seemed rather higher than was comfortable for me, if that makes sense).

Another option could be to look further up than the cp4, and trade in any portability issues for the ultimate 'feel' experience. I don't really have much info on higher-end models, but it could be an option, I've got to the age where splashing out on a 'till I die' keyboard is not the craziest option.

Anyone care to share their thoughts, opinions, advice etc on this?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had both the PX5S and the CP4, and when it came time to thin the herd, the Casio went up on the block and I kept the CP4. Some people will say different, but I greatly prefer the feel of the Yamaha over any other stage piano I've played (which admittedly isn't many). But it's the closest thing to an acoustic grand that I've seen, in both touch and sound. And I really like it's pads and strings as well, which is an added bonus.

It is definitely a chore to lug around and set up, though, especially with my more energetic years behind me. But when I do get to play it, it's all worthwhile. CP4 is the one board I'll probably take with me to my grave.

Them's just my 2¢.

D-10; M50; SP4-7; SP6

I'm a fairly accomplished hack.

On the other hand, the CP4 is also considered light by stage piano standards - 38.58lbs compared to RD-2000 47.88lbs or Korg Grandstage 88 44lbs, Kawai MP7 46lbs.

Personally, economics permitting - I'd keep the PX-5S for when you really would prefer to one hand 24lbs and/or be glad you can run on batteries no matter what you choose to upgrade to - clacks and all these Privias are very practical.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

CP4 has the best sound and action, imo. But I use Px 360 due to transport weight , action response, and speakers.

Find 675 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

You'll certainly notice the extra weight carrying the CP4 as against the PX-5S but as Elmer points out, for a top-of-the-line stage piano, you won't find anything lighter than the Yamaha by a long chalk. If you're moving it yourself, it's perfectly luggable in a soft case without wheels, and I have a long-standing back weakness, so I'm very sensitive about these things. I wonder which features of the CP4 you feel you don't need, given that the PX-5S (arguably) has a much deeper feature set?

Even though I gig the CP4 9.9 times out of 10, I chose to keep the Casio, partially because of the relatively small return on selling it, partly because it's an excellent 'back up board' to have in the car when the promised acoustic is a piece of shit, or in my case for weddings where you're needed in several different places (for example, outside for reception drinks, inside for the wedding breakfast) saves a lot of mauling and moving stuff about.

If you're gigging and have doubts about the Yamaha's portability, believe me, you'll certainly not want to go anywhere higher up the weight scale.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

... if the feel of the [CP4] is far superior to the px5s, then I am interested

It is, for me at least, no question about it. I looked seriously at the px5s, loved the light weight, hated the action, bought the CP4 and think it's great (still after 2 years with it). Basically the only voices I use on it are AP and EP. I transport it in a soft case with wheels.

Mike

no way to try one out where I live, however I did try another Yamaha comparative product recently, can't remember which, and noted that the distance between the top of the note and the bed seemed rather higher than was comfortable for me

I can't speak to your observation, but I'll point out that AFAIK there is no comparable board to the CP4, there is no other Yamaha keyboard that uses that action. At least not among the portables.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Thanks for all the answers. With reference to what was mentioned:

The board would mainly in my practice room, but the option to take it around without breaking my back would be preferable.

The main features the Yam has that I probably won't need are all the additional instruments - I need it mainly for piano and a smattering of electric piano.

Anyone know what other Yams use the same keyboard action as a cp4, even if they are non-portables? There are plenty of music shops in my vicinity (Budapest, Hungary), but none with the cp4 specifically to try, and my main concern before purchase is actually trying the feel to see if it is justifiably better than what I have....

As far as I can establish, the NW-GH action used in the CP4 is not available in any other model, including the Clavinova line. However, having played recent, high end CLP-series Clavinovas, I can say that there isn't too much difference in the actual feel, so you might be able to get some idea from one of those if your local store has one.

As far as the additional instruments in the CP4 beyond acoustic and electro mechanical pianos, they are pretty incidental to the instrument as a whole. Although they are publicised as being derived from the Motif series, don't expect the quality and depth of realism offered by those on the workstation. I find myself occasionally adding a pad or very subtle string backing, but that's about it.

Even in a much cheaper DP, you're going to find these 'extra' voices anyway.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

The beauty of the CP4 for me is that it doubles as both the best stage AND home piano out there - they keybed is that good. It's a piano you can improve your technique on, and translate to a real acoustic without it being a shock. (I play classical at home and classic rock in my band).

I've tried the RD-2000 and the action is too light for me. Plus it's much heavier. It's not exactly fun getting the CP4 in and out of my first floor apartment, but it's very doable.

If I switch my bottom board out for gigs it's likely to be an FA-07, but the CP4 will stay at home.

As someone said, I don't think I'll ever sell it.

I need it mainly for piano and a smattering of electric piano.

For a lightweight board primarily for piano/EP, you could also look at the Kawai ES110 (an action some people like) or the forthcoming Kurzweil SP6 (action basically unknown at this point). You could also consider Roland FP30 (another action some people like, though the board is a bit heavier) and Yamaha P45/P110 (generally seen as one of today's lesser actions), trading off some of the expected gigging board attributes of standard MIDI connectors or 1/4" outputs. Whether you'll like any of those actions better than the PX5S you'd have to determine for yourself, but they all weigh less than the CP4. (For that matter, the CP40 shaves some pounds off the CP4, too.)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

If I switch my bottom board out for gigs it's likely to be an FA-07,

As non-hammer action boards go, piano plays better from FA-07 than many others, in terms of decent velocity control, but it still has the problem of unresponsiveness toward the back half of the keys that many such boards have.

.........but it still has the problem of unresponsiveness toward the back half of the keys that many such boards have.

Thanks for that AS - I was not aware it had that issue. Very good to know, pre-purchase.

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

Just got around to unboxing my CP4 today and it is everything good that everyone has previously reported. Great board for the price. Extremely happy. My vote goes to the cp4!
Montage 7, Mojo 61, PC-3, XK-3c Pro, Kronos 88, Hammond SK-1, Motif XF- 7, Hammond SK-2, Roland FR-1, FR-18, Hammond B3 - Blond, Hammond BV -Cherry

Don't think of the 'extra features' on the CP4 as meaning you are paying for much more than you need. Its strength is as a piano and in the EPs. Rather look at it this way: It's a great piano and all the other sounds are a bonus.

I own 2 of them and I don't know what I'd do without it. This board is the first one I've found myself really getting inspired on while playing (when amplified properly) that isn't an acoustic piano. I do approximately 150 load ins with it a year, and it's quite manageable.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Archived