Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Okay, so what genres DO you like?

What genres DO you like?

For me, it's...

Renaissance music

Baroque

Classical

Romantic

Ragtime

Blues

Dixieland

Gospel

Jazz

Bebop

Swing (big band and small ensemble)

Standards (Sinatra style)

Rhythm and blues

Rock and roll

Bossa nova (except the really silly ones)

Country (except the ultratwangy stuff)

Rock

Rock blues

"Progressive" rock

Fusion

Southern rock

Punk

New Wave

Funk

Disco (for what it is: dance music)

Reggae

Ska

Calypso

Grunge

Mambo/Salsa

Argentine tango music

Cha cha

Mariachi music

Samba

Rejects

20th Century classical (with some exceptions)

Folk (with a few exceptions)

Heavy Metal (with some exceptions)

Merengue

Any of the new metal styles where the singer appears to be growling instead of singing

The Black Knight always triumphs!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What Dan said. :D
**Standard Disclaimer** Ya gotta watch da Ouizel, as he often posts complete and utter BS. In this case however, He just might be right. Eagles may soar, but Ouizels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Oh yeah. Zydeco!! :D
**Standard Disclaimer** Ya gotta watch da Ouizel, as he often posts complete and utter BS. In this case however, He just might be right. Eagles may soar, but Ouizels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Originally posted by Mr Nice Jazz Guitar Guy:

Originally posted by Super 8:

Good music.

Genres....geeesh, I could write all day and still leave something out.

Good music is good music.

Which you and your garage band are incapable of playing.
I feel sorry for you.

Why can't you please show a little respect to fellow posters? Or at least spare us your misery.

/Mats

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

What's a genre anyway? Is that like a racial thing?

Hell, I like Both kinds a music.

Country and Western.

Actually Mr. Jazz Nice Guitar man is really, really making sense to me. I mean, damn dude, what was I watching MTV for? ohhhh, I mean M(oron)TV. I'm gonna stick my tongue in an outlet and listen to some George Benson now.

Originally posted by Bunny.:

Originally posted by Salonious:

I like good music, and I don't like bad music.

Dude, you're a friggin' idiot! Good music SuCkZ, and bad music RuLeZ!!! :thu:
http://www.computerpannen.com/cwm/otn/party/beerchug.gifhttp://www.computerpannen.com/cwm/otn/party/beerchug.gif

I get drunk to bad music... :D

I am mostly interested in "anti-commercial" styles, though with some reservations...

Prog (including prog-metal, space-rock and some classical hard-rock), fusion (the harder, the better), medieval-folk rock, rio ("rock in opposition" that is), ethno & world music - these are my main listening diets, so to speak. I like trance when it's really trancey and spacey and not that repetitive (how's that for a controversy, huh?), ambient (when it's not tooooo spaaaaaarse and... well, ambientish), drum'n'bass (when there are enough synths and other instruments besides just a drum and a bass :D ) and experimental electronic music (when it's not just a vanguard-like noisy mess...). I also dig classical music, especially baroque (Bach), impressionism (Debussy), minimalism and a lot of 20's century serious music.

And finally (time for a huge confession) I like pop music too. But beware!! :D It would better be smart, intelligent, and dare I say - inventive pop, not just hook-after-hook-after-hook brainless affair. I am not a fish after all.

I am back.

Yeah... my list would be something like Dan's at the top of this thread. With maybe a few more niche sub genres... You know, I'm a former punk rocker who grew up patching modular synths with real patch cords who has season tix to the symphony who loves George Jones and Joao Gilberto...

I think, for me, the real key is that I like some of almost all genres -- but not much.

As some of us used to say in the early days of internet music -- 90% of what you hear online is utter crap. Just like on the radio, at the recrod store, at your friends' houses... ;)

I like good songs or pieces, no matter what the genre is.

I guess my favorite "genre" right now is "Americana", that catch all genre that goes from Tom Petty to Emmylou Harris, from Zydeco and Blues to George Jones.

To whomever created the "Americana" genre... :thu:

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Archived