Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The one genre you hate the most

I'm always preaching that genres don't matter much. Any genre can have it's genius that brings undeniable creativity and makes music that towers over the run of the mill hacks that fill the ranks of all the genres.

That said, I'm still a hypocrite because there is one genre I really really really dislike, geniuses notwithstanding....

old gospel spirituals sung by opera singers.

the cultural clash inherent in this stuff effects me like a broken bones grinding bloody ends together - makes me illish just thinking about it....

What genre do you hate the most?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What genre do I hate the most?

Not a genre perhaps but I really hate any kind of music that feels like it's done for profit only, speculative stuff with no honest intent of sharing the love of music. Gives me the creeps.

/Mats

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

I don't hate any music.

However, I don't consider Rap music.

It's a valid art form, sure. But it isn't music. Call it rhythmic poetry, call it whatever. But it just isn't music. No melody. I can't say that I even hate rap. I just don't care for it much.

**Standard Disclaimer** Ya gotta watch da Ouizel, as he often posts complete and utter BS. In this case however, He just might be right. Eagles may soar, but Ouizels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Either hair metal or power ballads.

Probably hair power ballads with a metal influence.

"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards.

Kind of a toss up. I really hate country butat least the people are honestly playing their instruments well and they put their heart into it.

I think I hate Nu-metal. It has taken an artform that i love and reduced it down to simplistic crap. All of the singers sound the same, the guitar work could be accomplished with a single finger or possibly a stump if the left hand was removed. That is not Metal at all. Meatl has to have intensity, skilled instrumentalists and it needs to be played by people that love it completely.

Reach out and grab a clue.

Something Vicious

My solo crap

Ony two types of music: "Good" and "Bad" (who was it who originally said this? Louis Armstrong?).

That being said, I really hate "Smooth Jazz". Elevator music being touted as a serious art form. Totally passionless. I'd much rather be offended or angered by something than bored by it. Smooth Jazz makes me feel nothing.

Can't think of any other genre that I hate.

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

That John Tess meets Yanni stuff, scale practice put to backing tracks....

Also any "trained" theatre singer singing blues..

Also Pipe organ solo's...

Oh and cookie cutter rap (not the inovative stuff like Tupac or Outkast) that stuff rapped by gold toothed hoods all talking about the same crap over and over again to some lame TR505 beat.

Ohhhh man I feel much better..

overheard street personality on Venice Beach "Man, that Bullshit is Bulllshhittt...."

Hating a genre is not the same as hating people - I think it's allowed. Like hating canned spinach or televised figure-skating.

But I brought this whole thread up because, in my mind, I think it's narrow-minded to simply write of an entire genre as a whole - cause the "genre" is not really the music per se, it's just a classification device. And a useful device, if you don't take the exercise too seriously.

But I'm still haunted by the idea that some genres are based on what seems to me to be a basically bad idea - like mixing vinegar and beer.

For example, in the excellent "Ishkur's Guide to Electronic Music" website (which, by the way, is totally dedicated to the idea that music rocks or sux depending on it's genre classification), the guy says regarding the genre "Latin Techno" -

"I don't think this was such a good idea. The inhumanity of machine presses with the livliehood of the mardi gras festival? I mean, what were they thinking? That's like non-slippery soap or a trance DJ who mixes. It just doesn't go right. Does it?"

I remember in the great thread about Worst Album Covers Ever - the album with the Polish accordion disco music LOL. A conceptual car crash - hurts the brain even if you've never heard the music at all.

It's these genres that seem to just not work that I "hate". Other genres I don't listen to much, like fusion jazz, but I respect the genre - the basic idea of mixing rock and jazz makes sense. Sheesh, of course it does - or Miles wouldn't have touched it.

Originally posted by Mats Olsson.:

What genre do I hate the most?

Not a genre perhaps but I really hate any kind of music that feels like it's done for profit only, speculative stuff with no honest intent of sharing the love of music. Gives me the creeps.

/Mats

Amen, Mats.

I don't like or dislike genres of music. I consider each on the merit of the song or piece. If it's good, it's good, whether it's a polka, blues, country, opera, rock, whatever.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Either hair metal or power ballads.

Probably hair power ballads with a metal influence.

How about ballads about metal hair?

/Mats

Well said. And while we're on this subject... someone here mentioned (i forget who, sorry) in the context of recording music:

"If you don't feel it when you do it, nobody else will either".....

That is *so* true, and it really works against manufactured music. Sure, the melodies and rhythms line up mathematically and the chorus is a clever hook, but you'll be hard pressed to find anything more dead and empty sounding.

Oh, and I despise "House Music", and that whole culture of dance clubs and playahs and drama queens....

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

Originally posted by M Peasley:

I'm always preaching that genres don't matter much. Any genre can have it's genius that brings undeniable creativity and makes music that towers over the run of the mill hacks that fill the ranks of all the genres.

That said, I'm still a hypocrite because there is one genre I really really really dislike, geniuses notwithstanding....

old gospel spirituals sung by opera singers.

the cultural clash inherent in this stuff effects me like a broken bones grinding bloody ends together - makes me illish just thinking about it....

What genre do you hate the most?

I tend to hate ©rap, (s)hit-hop, metal, nu-metal and grunge all about the same. Of course ©rap is completely devoid of singers and musicians, so it really must RANK as the worst. I mean it exists to annoy. But so does metal.
Have you recorded an MP3 today?

Originally posted by bluestrat:

JAZZ!! :evil: Jazz sucks! It's got no balls, no ass, no sex appeal what-so-ever. Nothing worth a shit has come out of Jazz music since the 40's.

Come on, didn't you once tell me you had a brain? I'm beginning to have my doubts. Obviously you have no concept of jazz fusion, and from statements like that I doubt you've ever heard of Alan Holdsworth, Hiram Bullock or Scott Henderson.

Really, what a silly statement.

Originally posted by Ouizel:

I don't hate any music.

However, I don't consider Rap music.

It's a valid art form, sure. But it isn't music. Call it rhythmic poetry, call it whatever. But it just isn't music. No melody. I can't say that I even hate rap. I just don't care for it much.

You got it. More like moronic audidunce participation. Certainly it features no singers or musicians.

Originally posted by Mr Nice Jazz Guitar Guy:

Originally posted by bluestrat:

JAZZ!! :evil: Jazz sucks! It's got no balls, no ass, no sex appeal what-so-ever. Nothing worth a shit has come out of Jazz music since the 40's.

Come on, didn't you once tell me you had a brain? I'm beginning to have my doubts. Obviously you have no concept of jazz fusion, and from statements like that I doubt you've ever heard of Alan Holdsworth, Hiram Bullock or Scott Henderson.

Really, what a silly statement.

Just had to give you someone to rip on so you'd feel like a man. :)

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

That's a tough question...I like a lot of stuff. I'd say:

Elevator Music / Supermarket Music

New Age / Jazz Lite

Country Pop Stuff (let me qualify by saying that I like old country - think Harry Smith et al - but don't care for a lot of the newer country since the '80s)

Originally posted by Ken/Eleven Shadows:

Country Pop Stuff (let me qualify by saying that I like old country - think Harry Smith et al - but don't care for a lot of the newer country since the '80s)

Top 40 with a fiddle. :P

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

Here's a genre I hate: Neo-Nazi Hatecore. Somehow, rap, country, pop, soft-jazz, punk, power-pop, nu-metal, bebop, etc all seem ok to me.

BERLIN, Germany (Reuters) -- German police raided the homes of more than 300 people Wednesday whom they suspect of posting neo-Nazi music files on the Internet for others to download, the Federal Crime Office said in a statement.

Police said the nationwide raids followed investigations into 342 people who had posted songs by skinhead bands on the Internet. The songs contained lyrics inciting racial hatred, the crime agency said.

Police said they would carry out 333 raids by the end of Wednesday at the homes of people who posted songs on a music sharing Web site.

"Inciting racial hatred is more than just a petty crime," said Federal Crime Office President Joerg Ziercke. "Skinhead music groups create an enemy image and help propagate extreme right ideas."

Inciting racial hatred, displaying Nazi emblems like the swastika and performing the stiff-armed Hitler salute used under Adolf Hitler are crimes punishable by imprisonment in Germany, the country which carried out the Holocaust.

The Federal Crime Office started clamping down on Internet trading of music inciting neo-Nazis to hate and attack Jews and foreigners in 2001.

The songs convey Nazi ideology and contain lyrics such as these from the group Tonstoerung (Sound Interruption):

"Sharpen your long knives on the pavements; delve them into Jewish bodies."

More than 100 people have been killed in racist violence in Germany since unification in 1990. Most of the attacks are random and involve skinheads picking on foreigners in the street.

Property has also been attacked. Swastikas have been daubed on Jewish gravestones, bricks thrown at Turkish kebab shops and firebombs hurled at asylum hostels. Most synagogues have 24-hour police guards.

"For instance" is not proof.

Okay, thanks Zero...now a genre that I can hate everything about it without feeling the least bit guilty.

I'd like to find a redeeming grace in everything. But, that has none...although, to tell you the truth, I haven't heard any of it. Perhaps there are some melodies that could be "appropriated" and given better lyrics. Although I rather doubt it...it's probably a lot of screaming over power chords.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by zeronyne:

Here's a genre I hate: Neo-Nazi Hatecore. Somehow, rap, country, pop, soft-jazz, punk, power-pop, nu-metal, bebop, etc all seem ok to me.

Well, I was going to say I can find something to like in just about any genre, but after reading this, I have to reconsider my answer.

As far as jazz, Almost Blue - Miles Davis, Take Five - Dave Brubeck Quartet... just of the top of my head, two great post 1940's jazz recordings. ;)

There isn't any FORM of music I hate. That's not to say I love all genres equally. But I like to think there's something I can find to enjoy in every TYPE of music. Even some elevator music I can admire something in the arrangment. Country something in the lyrics or guitar playing. Rap - something in the word play or rhythms.

All the best,

Henry Robinett

Originally posted by M Peasley:

I think it's narrow-minded to simply write of an entire genre as a whole

I don't think you understand the point.To me,there is no such thing as a genre,but rather a particular artists version of styles when he/she happened to get popular.For instance,we refer to classical music,but is Bach or Stravinsky or Beetohven even remotley similar? Is Charlie Parker Behbop?Maybe if you ignore his vast blues influence not to mention a myriad of other influences.You can make thst argument with just about anyone,except of course an artist with no vision except what category his CD will wind up in the racks.The closer an artist gets to a genre,or category or pigeon hole,the less I'm interested.Thankfully,most good artist defy genre.
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

Yeah, I wouldn't go as far as to say that I hate any type of music. However...

Am I the only one here who has resented one type of music for seeming to kill off another?

For example, I used to resent punk for seeming to kill off progressive rock and hip hop for seeming to kill off funk. I really loved progressive rock and funk, and I was upset to see them fall off the radar as punk and hip hop ascended.

I was angered at the punk belief that progressive rock was pompous and pretentious. To me, it was merely exciting! I also wasn't fond of early hip hop artists' dependence on sampling other people's music and calling it their own ("Can't Touch This" was "Super Freak" plus rap, and "Me So Horny" was "Firecracker" plus rap, for example). But that's a rare occurrence now.

After my initial dislike of punk and hip hop, I found many examples to like in each genre as they matured; and my resentment wore off over time. Now, there's little out there that I really dislike.

Oh, and for those who say rap isn't music, would you say that drummers don't play music as well? One's a rhythmic vocal and the other's a rhythmic instrument. Rhythm is a fundamental musical element. Both seem musical to me.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Archived