Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The one genre you hate the most

Originally posted by The Thrashole:

I think I hate Nu-metal. It has taken an artform that i love and reduced it down to simplistic crap. All of the singers sound the same, the guitar work could be accomplished with a single finger or possibly a stump if the left hand was removed. That is not Metal at all. Meatl has to have intensity, skilled instrumentalists and it needs to be played by people that love it completely.

Well, you beat me to that one, Bloodbrother!! \m/

Originally posted by Mr Nice Jazz Guitar Guy:

I tend to hate ©rap, (s)hit-hop, metal, nu-metal and grunge all about the same. Of course ©rap is completely devoid of singers and musicians, so it really must RANK as the worst. I mean it exists to annoy. But so does metal.[/QB]

Hmm... It was asked what genre you don't like- I don't remember anyone asking you to bash any genre. Last I checked, I play metal because I love it above all else- not just to annoy you. However, if I can irritate you with it, then that makes it all the better!!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Originally posted by bluestrat:

JAZZ!! :evil: Jazz sucks! It's got no balls, no ass, no sex appeal what-so-ever. Nothing worth a shit has come out of Jazz music since the 40's.

Come on, didn't you once tell me you had a brain? I'm beginning to have my doubts. Obviously you have no concept of jazz fusion, and from statements like that I doubt you've ever heard of Alan Holdsworth, Hiram Bullock or Scott Henderson.

Really, what a silly statement.

Rings of a statement someone else made about metal, doesn't it? :D

Originally posted by GraceOfTheWitch:

JAZZ!! :evil: Jazz sucks! It's got no balls, no ass, no sex appeal what-so-ever. Nothing worth a shit has come out of Jazz music since the 40's.

Come on, didn't you once tell me you had a brain? I'm beginning to have my doubts. Obviously you have no concept of jazz fusion, and from statements like that I doubt you've ever heard of Alan Holdsworth, Hiram Bullock or Scott Henderson.

Rings of a statement someone else made about metal, doesn't it? :D
Really? Someone said metal was stupid, braindead, hackneed, worthless trash? Good for them. All those things are true.
Have you recorded an MP3 today?

Ah lahk all o' them thar, what's that word, geners, er, gernes, whatever th' tarnation you said. Ah lahk all gernes, as long as they's COUNTRY.

Thar's TWO kahnds o' music. Country AND Western, an' Ah lahk 'em both. Yew can take yer jazz and shove it up yore tahred ol' rear end. Wail, Ah dew lahk that Western Swang. That's kahnda lahk jazz. But that's it.

Wail, now thatcha mention it, sometahms they play that heavy metal stuff on the rasslin' on TV, and Ah thank Ah heard it at a tractor pull one tahm. So that ain't too bad.

"If it ain't country, it ain't music."

Neo-Nazi Hatecore.

yeah that would top my list!

99% of rap, all older country (cant stand the twang) and more than 3/4 of the new.

death metal, i am to stinking old for that crap anymore..what happened?? it used to be cool.

Scott

Electronica, hip-hop, dance, whatever it's called this week, any stuff with that awful thumping electronically produced drum and bass sound. Just sounds so synthetic, no life or passion at all!!!!

Having said that, it can sound ok in The Matrix or The Fifth Element, but no doubt a decent metal soundtrack with actual instruments would have sounded far better.....

Fa Fa FA Fa fa fa fa fa FA fa FA FA

I don't think you understand the point.To me,there is no such thing as a genre,but rather a particular artists version of styles when he/she happened to get popular.For instance,we refer to classical music,but is Bach or Stravinsky or Beetohven even remotley similar? Is Charlie Parker Behbop?Maybe if you ignore his vast blues influence not to mention a myriad of other influences.You can make thst argument with just about anyone,except of course an artist with no vision except what category his CD will wind up in the racks.The closer an artist gets to a genre,or category or pigeon hole,the less I'm interested.Thankfully,most good artist defy genre.

Well, if you look at the term "genre" as just a classification device, then, sure, it doesn't exist. Like the term "music I dig" is not a thing in and of itself, but it's just a circle I draw around certain actual musical creations that DO exist.

The problem is that people vaguely assume that the act of simply classifying something does a disservice to the thing so classified. It's not the simple act of classifying that does the disservice - you have to add something else, like an implied negative judgement.

Maybe we're so used to people using classifications and "genres" as a way to sneak in their negative spin, that we're soured on the very idea of classifying things.

But really, classifying is a basic element of human thinking and understanding. It can be abused, made to serve someone's hidden agenda, but that is a pasted-on problem.

You can also classify badly, or make it so general (like your example of "classical music") that the classification is useless or misleading.

I agree to an extent that "most good artists defy genre", but, paradoxically, it's also true that good artists also define genres. The very best artists do seem pretty inimitable in the height of their genius. But the simply placing them in a genre doesn't necessarily make one blind to the uniqueness of the best of the best.

I agree - a genre is not a "thing". The genre-fanatics treat them like this all the time and look silly for it. Like they want credit for being the first person to discover or fully understand a "genre-thing". We've all heard people say, "REAL country music (or REAL hard acid trance, or REAL heavy metal or classical music played on REAL period instruments or college-educated REAL jazz - yeah I'm talking to you Mr. Marselas - and on and on).

All silly. Classify loosely, impartially as you can, realize it's just a thinking device, and you learn things.

I'm with jcskid and Base on most counts. I too hate with an incredible passion "electronica, hip-hop, dance, whatever it's called this week, any stuff with that awful thumping electronically produced drum and bass sound" and "99% of rap." Sometimes I think it's because of the aging process and that maybe I'm just not as open to new music like I used to be, but then I remember that I never liked rap, electronic music, or producer-driven dance music. That stuff sounds so mechanical that, to me, it has no soul or groove to it. I like my music to sound like it's the product of a human being, not a machine.

Also, I hate Nazis, especially Illinois Nazis.

Genre is only specific if the artist intends it to be. There is a lot of music that crosses the borders from one genre to another and back. I love that type of stuff.

Quick question, What does choice of music have to do with intelligence? Do all research scientists listen to jazz? Does music illicit an emotional response or a logical one. Does good music make you say "well, that makes sense."

Reach out and grab a clue.

Something Vicious

My solo crap

Ok, I know I said that I don't hate any music, but I may well be wrong. I'd never heard of "Neo-Nazi hatecore". That sounds like a genre worthy of my hatred.

Especially Illinois Neo-Nazi hatecore. :D

**Standard Disclaimer** Ya gotta watch da Ouizel, as he often posts complete and utter BS. In this case however, He just might be right. Eagles may soar, but Ouizels don't get sucked into jet engines.

you don't see the hypocrisy in your statements? you are obsolete and do not have a forward thinking musical mind which is why you are bitter. remember jazzman, many of the same remarks you make about "©rap" (how clever!) music are the same statements made about jazz early on etc etc... but really, you already know this right?

Originally posted by GraceOfTheWitch:

quote:

JAZZ!!
:evil:
Jazz sucks! It's got no balls, no ass, no sex appeal what-so-ever. Nothing worth a shit has come out of Jazz music since the 40's.

Rings of a statement someone else made about metal, doesn't it?
:D
Really? Someone said metal was stupid, braindead, hackneed, worthless trash? Good for them. All those things are true.

:thu: I know you're just trying to get me into a fight... But you knwo what? Argueing on the internet is a lot like running in the special olympics- even if you win, you're still retarded. So I won't do it with you. What I will say is that anyone who cracks on someone elses passion simply because of a dislike doesn't have any concept at all of what art is about, and I truely pity people like that.

lets just say that I do not care for hair metal/hair metal ballads or lite/smooth jazz because I do not like the timbral aesthetics of either of them.

cheers,

aeon

Go tell someone you love that you love them.

Music genres I hate? Any 'music' glorifying hate, racism, misogny and other forms of anti-life behavior. Any 'song' using the words 'motherfucker' or 'cunt'.

Rap can be a powerful political statement or a gangsta's ego-tripping anti-female rant. I have heard country tunes that espouse hatred against youth, or long hair, or anti-war protestors.

Dasher

It's all about the music. Really. I just keep telling myself that...

The Soundsmith

Archived