Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What synth is best for my music?

Music Bird

I want to buy a keyboard/workstation for making my own music.

I want to have good synth brass, leads, bass, pads, strings, and bread and butter sounds.

I already have arrangers for drum patterns (as well as an SK1 and old Yamaha PSR).

Out of new and old, what would be best. I don't really need a sequencer. And it has to be a keyboard, not a module.

Yamaha MX49, Casio SK1/WK-7600, Korg Minilogue, Alesis SR-16, Casio CT-X3000, FL Studio, many VSTs, percussion, woodwinds, strings, and sound effects.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Price point?

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Dude, this is the most amazing keyboard forum on the planet, and gives all of us great community advice, but you've got to share deep context.

Who are you, what do play, gigging context, etc.

The more you share, the better the advice you get from these amazing folks here :)

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

Try out Roland DS61, Korg Kross 61, Yamaha MX61. None of these are "best" by the way, but given your relatively "mainstream" requirements, you should try them and see how you feel about each.

The actions on these boards range from "appalling" to "atrocious" by the way.

I second Chuck Hollis's comments above -you haven't given us much information so far.

Cheers, Mike.

816n8HTc-CL._SX355_.jpg

Under $600, no sequencer or drums, several sounds.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Korg TR-61. Really.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Korg/TR-61-Keyboard-Workstation-112995360.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Korg/TR-61-Keyboard-Workstation-112995360.gc

If you want to buy something new and want 61 keys get a Casio XW-P1. If 37 Keys is enough then get Novation UltraNova. If you want to split the difference get the Yamaha MX-49 for great bread and butter sounds.

But the Korg TR is bitchin' if you learn how to use it. You aint going to find the TR's responsive aftertouch on any of this new bullshit.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I owned the first version of that (RS-101) back in the 70s...dB

I remember owning (ARP)Solina, Hohner (Logan) String Melody, Roland RS202 and Yamaha SS-30 (in that sequential order),- and was never really happy since I couldn´t find a Freeman String Symphonizer in my country which I liked so much from the early Jan Hammer recordings.

Up to now, I didn´t find out if the Freeman was really better than the others mentioned above,- but I thought it was.

A.C.

Archived