Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Just brought home a Montage, and....

Michael W

....OMG, what have I done? This thing sounds AMAZING.

It's also a complicated beast. Maybe I'll actually be making music with it in a few months after I figure out how it works. Yamahas are just so intuitive, right? /s

http://www.fototime.com/71EC164D721285D/large.jpg

Michael

Montage 8, Logic Pro X, Omnisphere, Diva, Zebra 2, etc.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I spent some good time with this beast last weekend. It does sound very good on a lot of instrument categories and the UI is familiar (different but the same) from anything Motif derived. DX section is killer, FX sound really good to. I don't know if I'd ever get into programming that knob - but the patches they've done are fun - I can take or leave that aspect. Build is good, action is familiar, it's heavy and deep. Stock organ patches need work. So bizarre how easy it would be for them to rectify that (at least as an outsider, the reface YC is fun to play and sounds alright). But regardless, this is not a keyboard you kick out of bed for eating crackers if you get my drift. ;)

Congrats! Enjoy!

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

That is great news Michael. Do you think you will do any Montage videos? You do some of the greatest synth vids.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

The "super knob" is actually very cool, and much deeper than mnay of the demos show.

I've been helping a friend program his Montage 6, and the knob can really handle a lot of things. It reminds me of the complex control parameters I can create in Mainstage using just one physical controller.

You can also assign a pedal like the FC7 to control it's functions on patches you;re using it.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

First time Ive seen you with a fully weighted keybed Michael. I love my Montage 7.

Once feature I love is how simple and quick it is for controller assignments, even with multiple destinations. A LOT quicker than trying to do the same thing on the Kronos.

Here's a simple one - assigning the super knob to control volume of the string layer on a piano/strings patch. I think after setting it up, he uses the pedal to control bringing strings in and out (hands free).

[video:youtube]

In this one, Blake uses a CFX patch where various effects parameters - EQ, Cutoff filter, Reverb send, and a Variation send (which he doesn't explain but it's not important for the concept) are assigned to the regular knobs for inidividual manipulation. But the Super Knob is assigned to manipulate all 8 of the other knobs at once. In this case, the overall effect is being able to relocate the piano in a virtual room by having its timbre/tone change with distance along with increasing room ambiance (or amount of the CFX being sent to the reverb send).

[video:youtube]

I remember when the Montage was first shown there was an orchestra patch used as an example. This is useful for me at times - I can imagine using the knob for part/layer/split volumes taking piano out as brass and or strings go up rather than having to use 4 or more faders and move them at the same time (which keeps one hand off the keyboard for too long where it's maybe not convenient).

Seeing the knob used in these very practical ways as opposed to a flashier glitchy motion synth patch is useful. Can you guys share some other ways where you're able to do something really useful/effective/or just plain cool by controlling multiple parameters with the one Super Knob or linked control pedal input?

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

That is great news Michael. Do you think you will do any Montage videos? You do some of the greatest synth vids.

Thanks so much. Yes, I think you can expect to see some videos. :)

Michael

....OMG, what have I done? This thing sounds AMAZING.

excellent news, Michael. Very happy to see you still at it. :2thu:

I'm trying. I've had a real rough few years with medical issues, surgeries, treatments, all kinds of pharmaceuticals, and whatnot. Sigh. But I still love to play!

Michael

First time Ive seen you with a fully weighted keybed Michael. I love my Montage 7.

I almost almost almost got the 7 instead of the 8. But in the end, after a few mediocre 88s, I finally decided that I needed and deserved a top-flight weighted board. The Montage has great action - as does the Kronos - and I just LOVE playing the Montage.

Michael

I'm still not happy with the MIDI implementation but once you dial back the pre-programmed effects it sounds great.

Yeah, I spent a couple of hours last night getting the Montage to do multi-track MIDI sequencing with my DAW (Digital Performer). I *think* I've figured out most of it, but I don't yet understand *why* some things work the way they do. I haven't yet tried their "Montage Connect" software.

Regarding the effects - yes - many of the presets are rather wet, which is somewhat unusual for Yamaha.

I've downloaded all of the manuals, bookmarked a bunch of Montage tutorial videos, as well as the forum at yamahasynth.com. Definitely have my work cut out for me.

But damn, this beast sounds awesome. The DX sounds - whether alone or layered with AWM2 sounds - provide a pristine clarity that is remarkable. And overall, whatever they did to upgrade the converters is stunning.

Michael

Archived