Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Apple 2017 WWDC Keynote announcements

zephonic

A lot of new stuff, both hardware and software.

All new iMacs, all new MacBooks, all cheaper, and all available today. The iMacPro looks like a serious kick-ass machine, too!

The new 10.5" iPadPro is on my to-buy list, bigger display in the same size as my 4th gen.

Meaningful improvements to both MacOS and iOS, and a new product, the ineptly named HomePod.

I can't remember another Keynote that had this much new stuff. This should silence the critics (myself included) for a while!

local: Korg Nautilus 61 AT | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer | 16" MBP M1 Max

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All new iMacs, all new MacBooks, all cheaper, and all available today. The iMacPro looks like a serious kick-ass machine, too!

"How much more black could it be? And the answer is none. None more black."

:)

I'm glad to see the bumped specs on everything, and I'll note that references to music creation are plentiful in the advertising.

I make software noises.

When will the trend towards black end? The most impractical colour in almost any setting (outdoors, dimly lit or unlit studios or offices, stage, etc.). I'm referring mostly to the website itself.

Dark backgrounds are also challenging for those of us over 50. Not enough contrast. I am unable to read ANY of the new product descriptions on Apple's website; my stress levels go up too high instantly, trying to read the text while overpowered by the intense blackness.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Not mentioned in the Keynote or anywhere else is that the MacBookAir also received a minor speed bump (from 1.6 to 1.8 GHz), and presumably a newer generation of CPU's, seeing how Intel is about to retire the ones that powered the MBA up until today.

Not mentioned in the Keynote or anywhere else is that the MacBookAir also received a minor speed bump (from 1.6 to 1.8 GHz), and presumably a newer generation of CPU's, seeing how Intel is about to retire the ones that powered the MBA up until today.

I was eager to buy the upgraded MBA but it's a disappointment without a Retina display. Though I'd prefer a MBA over the MacBook, I'm not sure why they won't introduce a $999 version of the MacBook and discontinue the MBA.

I feel you, my 2013 MBA was the best computer I've ever had. I'm tempted to buy another one, but that would be silly, as I already have a 2015 MBP.

The retina display is never going to come to the MBA. The MacBook is its true successor, and they're only keeping the MBA around because it is still the biggest seller.

I don't think they would have even updated the CPU if Intel continued to manufacture the Broadwell chips that powered the 2015 models.

Obviously a pro desktop (iMac Pro) that doesn't cost what a Mac Pro costs with the video cards that aren't as important to us (music) as the videographers. But they are doing this machine in 8, 10, 18 core Xeons which is surely going to price them close to Mac Pros no? On the other hand there's an iMac now with a 4.2ghz i7 that turbos to 4.5 and can hold up to 64gb of RAM.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

there's an iMac now with a 4.2ghz i7 that turbos to 4.5 and can hold up to 64gb of RAM.

Zero to sixty in 2.7 seconds with an amazing 35mpg. :w00t:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Obviously a pro desktop (iMac Pro) that doesn't cost what a Mac Pro costs with the video cards that aren't as important to us (music) as the videographers. But they are doing this machine in 8, 10, 18 core Xeons which is surely going to price them close to Mac Pros no? On the other hand there's an iMac now with a 4.2ghz i7 that turbos to 4.5 and can hold up to 64gb of RAM.

At the Keynote they said the iMacPro would come in December, and start at $4999

I reckon that the regular retina iMac would serve the needs of most music folks in terms of nominal horsepower, but there have been reports of thermal problems under load.

I have a tough choice based on education pricing:

MBA $849

MacBook $1249

MBP $1249

Though it lacks the Retina display, the latest processor and is marginal upgrade on a 2 year old design, it's tough to pass on the MBA at $400 less than the others.

I know the G5 iMac was hot as hell in that thin case. I'd be hesitant to think Xeons and clocked up i7s can stay cool enough in the iMac case. But I am guessing a) they've learned a few things since the G5, b) these newer processors should be able to run cooler and c) they can't fuck this up on the iMac Pro line... can they? The outcry would be staggering.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

On a different note, we now know that the base iMac Pro will cost $4999. Historically, Apple has sold the Cinema Display at $999, which leads me to suspect the next Mac Pro will start at $3999

Ouch...

But another bit of unreported but great news, the magic (wireless) keyboard is now finally available with a num pad!

IOS 11 seems interesting, my phone contract is up in a couple of months but i'll probably wait until the Iphone 8 is released before renewing, the new ipad pro seems nice but my ipad air still feels solid for what i use it for, but i just might have to get more RAM for the old Imac to run high sierra smoothly

Thanks, I'll have to take a closer look. I was considering going back to PC, but this may help me stay Mac for a bit longer. I really like having a card reader and USB ports, though, as well as a CD-drive; it'll be a sad day when my early 2011 MBP gets put away. Feel like a Luddite.

Thanks, I'll have to take a closer look. I was considering going back to PC, but this may help me stay Mac for a bit longer. I really like having a card reader and USB ports, though, as well as a CD-drive; it'll be a sad day when my early 2011 MBP gets put away. Feel like a Luddite.

I don't have a dvd drive on my MBP at home nor on my PC laptop at work. I also don't have an external USB disk drive i could plug in.

My band leader handed me a dvd of what he reported to be our last gig. i looked at it and said "huh". just sort of stared at it for a minute. it reminded me of the time about 3 yrs ago i found some old 3.5" floppies in an old work box. I remember i gave them almost the exact same stare. then I threw them out.

I figured I'd wait a week before I ask him to upload the video files to a cloud folder.

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

I don't have a dvd drive on my MBP at home nor on my PC laptop at work. I also don't have an external USB disk drive i could plug in.

My band leader handed me a dvd of what he reported to be our last gig. i looked at it and said "huh". just sort of stared at it for a minute. it reminded me of the time about 3 yrs ago i found some old 3.5" floppies in an old work box. I remember i gave them almost the exact same stare. then I threw them out.

I figured I'd wait a week before I ask him to upload the video files to a cloud folder.

I can relate. I picked up a USB 3.5" floppy drive a year or so ago so I could at least save some documents like my MA thesis and quite a few photos. As I type that I'm remembering I have a couple zip drive cartridges, too.

As for the optical drive, I also still buy CDs on occasion and rip them to AAC or AIFF files. Ah well, at least I never sold my LPs, and they're cool again.

Apple has interesting language: "monumental" and such terms. Read it through: nothing that didn't already exist/ Hm. It's like one of the big food multinationals "inventing" organic or fair-trade or child labor free or environment friendly food production: a lot of it is propagandist . Like inventing a "new" computer as something that could be done right, or a music workstation that offers everything to everybody.

I got halfway through the nice projected specs of the new Imac when there was this idea of a 500 Watt machine that, and I quote, "stays chill". Ever put one heating element of 0.5kW on in a electric heater? That cannot stay "chill". Or can it ?

T.

Apple has interesting language: "monumental" and such terms. Read it through: nothing that didn't already exist...a lot of it is propagandist

Welcome to Marketing 101.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

at least I never sold my LPs, and they're cool again.

Wait long enough, everything old is cool again. OTOH wait long enough, you're dead. So it's a race...

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Apple has interesting language: "monumental" and such terms. Read it through: nothing that didn't already exist...a lot of it is propagandist

Welcome to Marketing 101.

Yes... remember how "it took courage" to remove the headphone jack from the iPhone 7? I'll never forget that.

:facepalm:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

We have several older imacs, they are great family machines. I have an older macbook pro (2012), we got my mom a newer one (maybe 2015 or so) and now my wife has a brand new one she got as a gift from a client.

I've mentioned it before, and at the risk of sounding like a broken record: the new keyboard and trackpad feel is beyond awful--and that's got to be part of the ever-thinner-at-all-costs mentality. Not only does it feel "bad", I find myself missing characters when I type on it, I guess due to the extremely short "throw" of the keys.

If they keep with the current ergonomics, I won't get another macbook pro. My mom's is about perfect for me ergonomically; thinner than my older one due to lack of dvd drive, but not so thin it's hard to pick the **** thing up (as with my wife's). I also dislike the lack of escape/function keys, though I do admit the bar is impressive to look at when it changes with each app. I just don't find it convenient really and it strikes me as a solution to a non-existent problem.

I can't swing the imac pro but I am glad to see they haven't forgotten power users I guess. Now bring that same mentality to the macbook pro darn it and stop worrying about business travelers with spindly arms....

I've mentioned it before, and at the risk of sounding like a broken record: the new keyboard and trackpad feel is beyond awful--and that's got to be part of the ever-thinner-at-all-costs mentality. Not only does it feel "bad", I find myself missing characters when I type on it, I guess due to the extremely short "throw" of the keys.

If they keep with the current ergonomics, I won't get another macbook pro. My mom's is about perfect for me ergonomically; thinner than my older one due to lack of dvd drive, but not so thin it's hard to pick the **** thing up (as with my wife's). I also dislike the lack of escape/function keys, though I do admit the bar is impressive to look at when it changes with each app. I just don't find it convenient really and it strikes me as a solution to a non-existent problem.

I waited for the 2016 MacBookPro, but when it was introduced I bought a 2015 instead. The non-touchbar MacBookPro is essentially a souped-up MacBookAir, and only two USB-C ports is a little too restrictive for my taste.

I dislike the new keyboard, but I guess I could get used to it over time. I agree the touchbar is a solution in search of a problem. A touch display on a Mac would be a better option, but that will never happen.

Finally, the 2015 MBP still has a MagSafe connector, which I consider to be a HUGE advantage over the USB-C charger of the 2016/2017 models.

My biggest issue with Apple is the price gouging. There was a time when new Macs were competitively priced, but that is no longer the case.

If the base model iMacPro is $4999, I have a hunch the next MacPro will cost at least $3999, a healthy $1000 more than the current entry-level model. The previous MacPro started at $2499.

I'm not sure how much longer they can continue this before people just give up and switch. MacOS is great, but it's not like you can't get stuff done on a Windows or Linux PC.

Archived