Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

"READ THIS BEFORE YOU PLAY MUSIC IN PUBLIC"

p90jr

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be honest, I find myself in agreement with most of it . . .

Not a Strat player myself, so I'll leave that one alone.

+10 Only Angus Young gets to wear shorts on stage.

Freddie Mercury is dead; the rest of you, leave your damned shirt on.

5 strings on a Bass, okay; 6 and you're playing a plus-sized Guitar, I don't care what YOU call it.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

I love Strats... though I admit after only playing them and guitars with that pickup configuration I got tired of them for a while... or mostly tired of seeing them everywhere... I've rediscovered them, though, and they're a joy. They do seem to be the obvious choice of people who artlessly strum an electric like an acoustic and have no technique to speak of, as well as the annoying people on the other end of the spectrum, so I understand that hate... I just steer people to Richard Thompson, Marshall Crenshaw, Richard Lloyd, Robert Quine... people who use Strats in a way that no other guitar would do. And I know, Jimi and SRV, but that plays in the latter group of people I mentioned, who obsessively imitate them.

Shorts... I've worn them to play frat parties... I've worn them at outdoor gigs here in blazing hot and humid temps... but in general, have a little respect for the paying customers.

Shirts... leave 'em on, unless you're in a punk or metal band in a hot, unventilated basement, in which case you'd never read this list or follow any rules.

Ross Valor (?), the bassist in Journey, said that with other singers they've had to lower the key of songs, and everybody was insisting he get a 5 string bass to cover it, and he doesn't like 5 string basses, so he had his tech put the lowest 4 strings from a 5 string set on one of his basses and set it up. He just uses that, who needs the high G when essentially you're shifting everything down. Smart guy.

Stupid is what I think about the author of that s**t. The only thing that matters is how good the music is, the rest of it is only opinion. If you get up on stage and play the heck outta your stuff, nail it, and rock the house, you done your job......The rest of it is only fluff.

Firstly- it's funny, it was intended as a humor piece, if sarcastically so. In that spirit, I'll point out that if one proclaims doctrine and dogma, one is unquestionably a major douchebag.

The only declarations levied there that I find particularly worthy of a hearty feckhov are #'s 4 and 5; don't get more anally obsessive about the details of someone else's instruments than they already are.

As for making faces in the heat of a performance- do it if you really mean it and feel it, but don't just fake it and sell it.

The kids and their snark...

>>>>>>

;) Kids? The blogzinewhatever post was put out there over four years ago, that's, like, half a friggin' lifetime ago and shit. No doubt mos def irrelevant to anyone young enough to be cool and- whatever.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Firstly- it's funny, it was intended as a humor piece, if sarcastically so. In that spirit, I'll point out that if one proclaims doctrine and dogma, one is unquestionably a major douchebag.

"If you dare tell people the truth, make them laugh or they will kill you."

- George Bernard Shaw

"If you dare tell people the truth, make them laugh or they will kill you."

- George Bernard Shaw

Brilliant! :2thu::cool:

Shaw's reputation precedes him, ehrr, follows him, and one is not disappointed.

I realize it was all done "tongue in cheek", where of course, according to rule #10, it SHOULDN'T be to begin with! :D

But I could hope rules 8, 9 and 10 be taken nore seriously by a lot of acts I've seen. ;)

And I'd even add a number 11!

Just END the damn song already: Nothing bores me more than a band that fools the crowd by ending a song( supposedly) and then starts pounding out the last chord, first slowly then speeding up the pace of pounding that chord faster and faster until it's reached supersonic speed and ending that run with a loud WHAM by the drummer. Only to start it all OVER AGAIN three or four MORE times. The ending should NEVER be longer that the SONG it ends was in the FIRST place. Hear me, LYNYRD SKYNYRD? :D

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

9. Dont end every song with an extensive monologue of requests for a perfect monitor balance.

Nothing kills the magic of live music like letting us all in on the secret that you also think it sounds like shit. If you can hear anything at all, you can get to work. Pretend it sounds great and we might all believe you.

I've gotta say, that excessive chatter such as monitor complaints and the like over the mic and PA during a performance to be heard LOUD and CLEAR by EVERYONE EVERYWHERE is tiresome and rrreally showing ones @$$.

The solution is in either conducting such business, as necessary, as quietly and quickly as possible- or, better yet, with dedicated mics that can ONLY be heard by the sound operative that needs to hear it and the performers on the stage, and NOT over the PA. I've seen (and not heard ;) ) such set-ups and it's very effective.

Furthermore, do not apologize or make excuses to the audience over the mic and PA for doing poorly on a given number; often enough, various mistakes are not noticed by the majority of the audience, I've witnessed this many times, so you're better off not bringing it to their attention if they missed it. And better yet- practice, improve, and perfect before you hit the stage! :smirk: :crazy:

If you're trying to wing it with unfamiliar material that comes up due to a request, an unplanned sitting-in by surprise guests, or general fomtoolery and errors occur, just smile, roll your eyes, laugh, have a good time of it and take the audience along with you.

I use hand signals to the soundguy for monitor adjustment... (point to my throat or vocal mic, point to monitor, make thumb motion "up." etc. Seems to work universally).

Being an extrovert, having been in plays and drama classes and done improv exercises, having been elected class wit in high school, and having written jokes with a stand-up comedian buddy and just being a general jokester... I, by default, usually become the "master of ceremonies" onstage, whether I'm the frontman or not... actually, I can't help it... it just happens. It has annoyed some band members and fragile frontman egos... but before I know it, after the 5th time of someone asking "how is everybody feeling tonight?" I involuntarily blurt out "let's agree we've established the crowd is feeling good tonight!" to hearty laughter... Stage Banter 101 needs to be offered somewhere...

Furthermore, do not apologize or make excuses to the audience over the mic and PA for doing poorly on a given number; often enough, various mistakes are not noticed by the majority of the audience, I've witnessed this many times, so you're better off not bringing it to their attention if they missed it. And better yet- practice, improve, and perfect before you hit the stage! :smirk: :crazy:

If you're trying to wing it with unfamiliar material that comes up due to a request, an unplanned sitting-in by surprise guests, or general fomtoolery and errors occur, just smile, roll your eyes, laugh, have a good time of it and take the audience along with you.

I did exactly that this last Memorial Day weekend at a private party gig put on by my old '65 drummer buddy. Small audience of friends only 30 or so. I did his daughter's request of Johnny B. Goode which I mix with Roll Over Beethoven and then my buddy starts the drum intro to Pretty Woman and I stopped him and said "hey that song has a thousand chords and I didn't practice for that one" his daughter pipes in and says "that's the one I really want to hear". So, I say "OK I'll give it a try, just forgive me if I have a senior moment". And low and behold (although I've played the song a million times without screwing it up), I get to the Amajor chord and do have a senior moment!!! So, I fish around and tell the audience "I told you, I told you I'd screw it up LOL! then let's see I come up with Amaj, F#minor, Dminor, Emajor" Then I take off and finish the song...we all got a laugh out of it, and I was glad I set it up with a pre-apology LOL! That's my story and I'm sticking to it! :cool:

Take care, Larryz

One rule they should enforce at all concerts is, leave your political views at the door IMHO. I can't stand being a captive audience for some political rant, no matter how big of a star it is, that is doing the ranting... :cool:
Take care, Larryz

And I'd even add a number 11!

Just END the damn song already: Nothing bores me more than a band that fools the crowd by ending a song( supposedly) and then starts pounding out the last chord, first slowly then speeding up the pace of pounding that chord faster and faster until it's reached supersonic speed and ending that run with a loud WHAM by the drummer. Only to start it all OVER AGAIN three or four MORE times. The ending should NEVER be longer that the SONG it ends was in the FIRST place. Hear me, LYNYRD SKYNYRD? :D

Whitefang

[font:Comic Sans MS]you rang?[/font]

[video:youtube]

I did exactly that this last Memorial Day weekend at a private party gig put on by my old '65 drummer buddy. Small audience of friends only 30 or so. I did his daughter's request of Johnny B. Goode which I mix with Roll Over Beethoven and then my buddy starts the drum intro to Pretty Woman and I stopped him and said "hey that song has a thousand chords and I didn't practice for that one" his daughter pipes in and says "that's the one I really want to hear". So, I say "OK I'll give it a try, just forgive me if I have a senior moment". And low and behold (although I've played the song a million times without screwing it up), I get to the Amajor chord and do have a senior moment!!! So, I fish around and tell the audience "I told you, I told you I'd screw it up LOL! then let's see I come up with Amaj, F#minor, Dminor, Emajor" Then I take off and finish the song...we all got a laugh out of it, and I was glad I set it up with a pre-apology LOL! That's my story and I'm sticking to it! :cool:

Good call, well done!

One rule they should enforce at all concerts is, leave your political views at the door IMHO. I can't stand being a captive audience for some political rant, no matter how big of a star it is, that is doing the ranting... :cool:

Don't go to see the new Roger Waters tour.

Don't go to see the new Roger Waters tour.

Haahhahhaahhaahhahhaahhhaahhahhaahh! :D:laugh::roll::crazy::thu:

Yeah, Roger is making his political views into a real money maker on his 2017 tour LOL! Too bad, as I really liked his music. I stopped watching the 49ers and NFL football this past year as well. When I go to be entertained, I just want to hear good music and watch a good game or watch a good movie... :cool:
Take care, Larryz

Yeah, Roger is making his political views into a real money maker on his 2017 tour LOL! Too bad, as I really liked his music. I stopped watching the 49ers and NFL football this past year as well. When I go to be entertained, I just want to hear good music and watch a good game or watch a good movie... :cool:

Roger's socio-political viewpoint has been a major component of everything he's done since Dark Side of the Moon. Nobody can claim to be surprised that his current tour is a highly opinionated event.

Scott Fraser

@HUGO: Yeah, that's a good example. :D

As for the rest, I too, don't like political rants from a band at a concert. UNLESS the concert is held in SUPPORT of some political cause, which are the concerts I usually did my best to avoid. ;)

Whitefang

+1 @ Fang and Scott, at a Farm Aid or a Live Aid concert, I would expect to hear the artist's views on world hunger, etc. If I went to some kind of political rally, I should expect the same. If I were to attend Roger Waters tour or say one of his old friends concerts like Sinead O' Connor, I would expect to hear some political stuff. As much as I like Pink Floyd, I'll have to pass if the tour comes to town though... :cool:
Take care, Larryz

+1 @ Fang and Scott, at a Farm Aid or a Live Aid concert, I would expect to hear the artist's views on world hunger, etc. If I went to some kind of political rally, I should expect the same. If I were to attend Roger Waters tour or say one of his old friends concerts like Sinead O' Connor, I would expect to hear some political stuff. As much as I like Pink Floyd, I'll have to pass if the tour comes to town though... :cool:

I think if one wants the Pink Floyd experience minus the socio-political content, that would be a David Gilmour tour. Pink Floyd with a generous topping of socio-political content, Roger Waters. But I also think everybody should know by now that Roger is that kind of guy. The people, somewhere in the Midwest, who walked out of his gig because they didn't like the trump bashing, sheez, what did they actually expect from a guy who has made outspoken rhetoric his stock in trade for over 40 years?

Scott Fraser

For me, it wouldn't matter who the artist is Roger or [insert name] I'm not going to a political venue if I'm going to a concert. True, if you know the history of the artist(s) or have looked at the reviews, you should probably expect that generous topping of what I consider political content...I like going to small venues so I don't have to fight the crowds trying to find parking or waiting in lines and when I get there, I don't want to have to fight with the crowds LOL! I just want to hear some good music... :cool:
Take care, Larryz

Of course people have a RIGHT to their political views, and the right to express them.

Right now I'm so sick of politics - always a dirty business, but the last year or so an out and out SICK JOKE - that I'm perfectly delighted NOT to hear about how much the artist hates (insert name of politician....) That's not entertaining to me, the MUSIC is what I care about.

As to some of the other questions:

1. Not playing a Strat - that's going a little too far, but there are lots of other good guitar sounds out there that might be a little fresher.

2. Wearing shorts - well, in a major arena, I agree. But a casual outdoor gig in the summer, it might be OK.

3. Taking off your shirt - well, that's probably not really necessary, especially if the singer (most probably) has a Studly Doright complex.

4. I agree that the facial contortions thing when playing lead guitar has been badly overdone.... but in all fairness, the guy playing lead onstage is not looking in a mirror when playing, so how's he gonna know what his facial expression is? And B.B. King's wife used to call him 'old lemon face' LOL.

It takes a lot of courage to stand up and express your political views. I have a tremendous amount of respect for these people ,they are heros. That woman comedian who created a great stir should be proud of her self. Hell , Gwar did the same thing.They are dam proud of it too.

I play a strat, but I used to play Ibanez artists. I would still play one if I had one. I play a Taylor acoustic guitar. It's not the easiest guitar to play but it sounds good to me and it's what I have.

But I don't share my political views with my audience . I guess I'm just not a hero.

Probably most audiences are filled with people who widely vary in their personal political leanings and are only "like minded" in their love and appreciation of the artist on stage. So any artist that goes out and spouts HIS political views is taking his chances. As for this STRAT business.....

I don't care WHAT make of guitar the guy on stage plays. It's how he PLAYS it is what matters to me. It kinda reminds me of when I first saw JOHN McLAUGHLIN and his Mahavishnu Orchestra.

They opened for an early '72 Emerson, Lake and Palmer concert. Me nad the guys I was with never heard of them before. And when John and the band walked on the stage, we kind of giggled at this guy with SHORT HAIR wearing a WHITE SUIT strutted out sporting a DOUBLE NECK guitar! We at first smirked thinking, "Oh RIGHT. Like he can PLAY that thing!" ;)

It took only a couple of minutes to realize that YEAH! He CAN play that thing! :D

Whitefang

Re: shirtless performance

I am NOT telling Doyle Wolfgang von Frankenstein to put his shirt back on.

1200px-Paul_Doyle_Caiafa_playing_with_Danzig_at_Wacken_Open_Air_2013_06.jpg

He is an adult, and-more importantly- could probably make me eat his guitar.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

I guess a lot of this stuff depends on context. The audience for the guy in the above photo probably WANTS and maybe even EXPECTS this kind of image.

But in most church gigs or a classical concert, or probably in a jazz club, it might not be "politically correct", LOL.

I basically just dress appropriately for the venue, so that it doesn't distract from the music.

===============

Yes, I agree, some artists are known for their political views and the audience expects to hear about it to some degree - though at some point they probably want to hear a note or two..... LOL.

Make you eat his guitar? I don't think so.....

Looks more like the kind of guy who'd use you to demonstrate it's "suppository" quality. :cry:

Whitefang

Archived