Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sgt. Pepper remix

Eric Iverson

For the record, I turn 64 on June 1, and for the record, Paul McCartney DID write that song about ME....

Seriously, are any of you guys planning on buying that 50th anniversary Sgt. Pepper remix they're talking about?

I probably will, out of curiosity and because that record was important to me when I was 14 and listened to it every day. But just the 1 CD, not the 6 CD set.. I'm not THAT curious, especially since they don't have record stores on every street corner nowadays!

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't know about a "remix", but now you made me aware, I might look it up. Just out of curiosity as to what difference the remix makes.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

A great album that brings back a lot of good memories for me...but I don't think I'll be buying the 50 year remix. They made that When I'm 64 song for me about 3 years ago LOL!

<--- I'm Fixing a Hole was a cool song on the album that I played over and over LOL! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

I might have to pick it up. I do love that album, but have it on... cassette tape! It would blow my 15 year0old son's mind if I started listening to it more, as his school choir did "When I'm 64" at their spring concert.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

I have Sgt. Pepper's on cassette tape, too, as it happens. Of course I had a vinyl copy back in the day.

My best friend allegedly wore out three copies of it, LOL. I don't think I've ever been THAT obsessed with a recording.

To a lot of people, the album represented counter-cultural relevance or something at the time. I'm not sure who still cares about stuff like THAT....

I remember working in a Book & Record store, when Columbia released what they were calling The Complete Bitches Brew Sessions in a gold-colored box, with no info printed on the box set itself? Much as I love and admire Miles, I passed on the big box, and bought the version of the album I'd always known.

I expect the Sgt. Pepper box set will be full of out-takes and alternate takes that will only be of interest to completists, and future Musicologists studying the British Invasion. I wouldn't mind hearing a fresh copy of the original; it's been a while.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

Apparently, Giles Martin was able to go back to the original pre-bounced 4 track tapes & make a mix which is minus 3 generations of tape hiss & saturation. And this is a stereo mix based on the mono mix which the Beatles approved, as opposed to the old stereo mix which was done by an assistant engineer after they were all done for the day. As such, I'd be very interested to hear this version.

And BTW, this is the greatest pop album ever recorded.

Scott Fraser

Did they correct the speeds this time? I am so in love with the mono reissue. "She's Leaving Home" has an entirely different feel at its original tempo.

I would certainly trust a stereo mix from Giles Martin before any of the others that have floated out there over the years. As far as I could tell from on-line info though, this reissue has no extra tracks. I think they save those to keep the purity of the originals.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Did they correct the speeds this time? I am so in love with the mono reissue. "She's Leaving Home" has an entirely different feel at its original tempo.

I haven't heard about that.

I would certainly trust a stereo mix from Giles Martin before any of the others that have floated out there over the years.

He is his father's son, & is aware of the importance of honoring the work his father did. And he has the approval of McCartney.

As far as I could tell from on-line info though, this reissue has no extra tracks. I think they save those to keep the purity of the originals.

I think Strawberry Fields Forever & Penny Lane are being included, as they were done at the same time, originally for inclusion in the album. The box set has various extras I believe.

Scott Fraser

Typically(and in my experience) "previously unreleased tracks" that were included on many CD re-issues made it clear after just a few seconds as to WHY they were "previously unreleased".

But I can't imagine The Beatles having ANY previouly unreleased tracks that AREN'T worth hearing. :)

Whitefang

I heard take 1 of Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds. Other than no chorus vocals & none of the overdubs it's pretty much the final version. At the end you hear Paul suggesting a different vocal phrasing for one of the verses, & John readily agrees. It's interesting, as someone who works in the recording world, to hear the process at work, but I don't need to hear it repeatedly.
Scott Fraser

Quoting Scott: "I don't need to hear it repeatedly."

That's why I would only buy the one CD remix, not the 6 CD box set.

Actually, that's why I don't buy a lot of CDs these days, LOL. I have so many great ones, plus cassettes and vinyl albums, that there are not too many I WOULD listen to repeatedly; there are so many I have that I have only listened to a couple of times. So many recordings, so little time, LOL.

Of course, there are some completists who simply must have EVERYTHING ever done by the Beatles (or Miles, or Trane, etc. etc.) - even if the artist doesn't consider it their best work; even if the artist SUES to not have it re-released, out of embarassment! I don't understand the mentality, but hey, "it's a free country".

In this case, McCartney has given his seal of approval, though. It's not a hack bootleg, at least.

Is it "milking the Beatles cash cow"? Of course it is, in a way, but no one is forced to buy it; and we can sample bits and pieces on the Net to hear whether we think it's worthwhile.

Yeah... it's fascinating to peek at the process, but hearing it once is enough.

I'm listening to the new studio mix on Spotify right now. I will buy the vinyl 2xLP 180 gram version of the new stereo mix since it sounds pretty cool and isn't bugging me... and will curse at having to flip over songs after three songs... but I bet it sounds super awesome.

Spotify has a second disc of the extras I will probably listen to once or twice.

Also, due to the popularity of the shows we did last year and encores stretching into this year (one more booked for June) of playing Revolver and some of Rubber Soul, we're doing Sgt. Pepper's and Magical Mystery Tour in a couple of months. Great fun and people love it.

Hey Scott - and any other Beatles fans that might care to chime in,

Have you heard the LOVE album? Gilles Martin remixing/mashing up Beatles tracks for Cirque de Soile (sic?).

I think it was real eased around 2003 with the blessing of the surviving Beatles and estates of George and John.

Guitar Speak Podcast

www.guitarspeakpodcast.libsyn.com

https://www.facebook.com/guitarspeakpodcast

www.itunes.apple.com/au/podcast/guitar-speak-podcast

I saw the Beatles LOVE show live in Las Vegas by Circ Du Soleil and it was wonderful! Highly recommended for anyone who has not seen it. The music was fantastic so I [imagine] the album will be a huge success! Maybe I'll catch the show again some day along with a Raiders game! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

Yes, I have the album & saw the show. It's amazing how much definition Giles was able to retrieve from those tracks. It all sounded spectacular through the modern Meyer sound system. Very punchy drums, without losing the original 60's era flavor. You hear aspects of the arrangements that were covered by subsequent layering in the original mixes. And Giles very much honored & respected the sound & feel of the original work, while improving the detail. It's masterful work.
Scott Fraser

Thanks; we won a Grammy for our work on the Beatles Love Show. I didn't have a direct part in that, but my software did need some new features that helped, so I did get a bonus from it. Didn't see the show though!

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Yes, I have the album & saw the show. It's amazing how much definition Giles was able to retrieve from those tracks. It all sounded spectacular through the modern Meyer sound system. Very punchy drums, without losing the original 60's era flavor. You hear aspects of the arrangements that were covered by subsequent layering in the original mixes. And Giles very much honored & respected the sound & feel of the original work, while improving the detail. It's masterful work.

Yeah, great comment on the drums!

I really liked how the original works were still honoured with extra parts from other tracks (like the taxman solo in drive my car IIRC) rather than 'new' songs mashed together.

Thanks; we won a Grammy for our work on the Beatles Love Show. I didn't have a direct part in that, but my software did need some new features that helped, so I did get a bonus from it. Didn't see the show though!

More info required!!

Guitar Speak Podcast

I saw the Beatles LOVE show live in Las Vegas by Circ Du Soleil and it was wonderful! Highly recommended for anyone who has not seen it. The music was fantastic so I [imagine] the album will be a huge success! Maybe I'll catch the show again some day along with a Raiders game! :cool:

Yeah the album is great...would love to see the show someday!

Guitar Speak Podcast

Also, due to the popularity of the shows we did last year and encores stretching into this year (one more booked for June) of playing Revolver and some of Rubber Soul, we're doing Sgt. Pepper's and Magical Mystery Tour in a couple of months. Great fun and people love it.

Rad!

Guitar Speak Podcast

WHAT in the HELL is all the FUSS about anyway?

Those guys were supposed to be FORGOTTEN about in six months, remember? ;):D

Whitefang

I remember my grammar school teacher saying "those guys are just the latest fad, it's not real music, they'll be gone soon"...7 years later they were still going strong and for me they always will be going strong. I still love their stuff! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

Yeah, the "forgotten in six months" panic is why they had to work so hard to avoid even as much as a week without something in the top 40.

Good perspective to have when complaining about today's music scene and how there's too much hit pressure to inspire artistry.

But it's a big reason why they stopped touring, as they were VERY dedicated to their craft and wanted to do the best they could at constantly pushing the envelope.

Even while in more of the mainstream pop vein though, they managed to do something a bit new each time.

The big transition started with Help! but was hinted at in Beatles for Sale with the bizarre chord sequences and harmonies.

Sgt. Pepper was done as run-ons not as a "pretentious concept" as some people have said now and then (not here of course), but to keep Capitol Records from mucking with the track order and album content yet again.

I read where McCartney said "We were going to do the album as songs the Pepper band played, you know... but then we never got around to writing those or finishing the concept, so it's not a concept record... it's just 2 connected songs and the reprise near the end, but that fooled people into thinking it was a connected concept. Don't tell them any better!"

Hey hey... I came home and my wife and daughter presented me with the vinyl copy of the new mix as an early Father's Day present (trying to beat me buying it myself)...

Sounds even better than the stream from Spotify set at high quality and resolution.

Drums!!!!

Last night on CBS news they did a mention of it's anniversary. What tickled me was that after the segment ended, the guy filling in for Scott Pelley smiled and said,

"Gave us PENNY LANE" and "STRAWBERRY FIELDS"! With a big smile on his face!

I shouted at the screen, "That wasn't until MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR you idiot!!" :D

Yeah, I know they were recorded around the same time, but still............

Whitefang

Apparently, Giles Martin was able to go back to the original pre-bounced 4 track tapes & make a mix which is minus 3 generations of tape hiss & saturation. And this is a stereo mix based on the mono mix which the Beatles approved, as opposed to the old stereo mix which was done by an assistant engineer after they were all done for the day. As such, I'd be very interested to hear this version.

And BTW, this is the greatest pop album ever recorded.

I haven't heard about that.

I would certainly trust a stereo mix from Giles Martin before any of the others that have floated out there over the years.

He is his father's son, & is aware of the importance of honoring the work his father did. And he has the approval of McCartney.

As far as I could tell from on-line info though, this reissue has no extra tracks. I think they save those to keep the purity of the originals.

I think Strawberry Fields Forever & Penny Lane are being included, as they were done at the same time, originally for inclusion in the album. The box set has various extras I believe.

Good, interesting points all. I will likely wind up getting it, myself. And I've even been daydreaming about getting a turntable again in the foreseeable future...

I read where McCartney said "We were going to do the album as songs the Pepper band played, you know... but then we never got around to writing those or finishing the concept, so it's not a concept record... it's just 2 connected songs and the reprise near the end, but that fooled people into thinking it was a connected concept. Don't tell them any better!"

:D:2thu::cool: Hehhehhehh... !

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Hey hey... I came home and my wife and daughter presented me with the vinyl copy of the new mix as an early Father's Day present (trying to beat me buying it myself)...

Sounds even better than the stream from Spotify set at high quality and resolution.

Drums!!!!

+1 You can't beat vinyl for bringing out the drums and sounding like a live band in your living room! :cool:

Take care, Larryz

Archived