Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sgt. Pepper remix

Eric Iverson

I will definitely look for comparison copies.

Here's why:

There are apparently several diff decisions abt which ways the final tracks go compared to the orig; those can be vital for considering the music.

Gile's Martin is not Geo Martin; he not only hear;s diff but was not a member of the band.

Paul Mc has a greater hand her than he had in 1967.

d=halfnote

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
DON'T FORGET TO WATCH THE BEATLES CONCERT TONIGHT ON PBS!!! In my area it will be on at 9:30pm PST. Check your local guide as in NYC it will be on at 6:30pm...should be well worth watching... :thu:
Take care, Larryz

Yeah, that's why I commented on this "Sgt. Pepper remix" thread. I'm glad to hear that you commented on the other Beatles on PBS thread too...

It was a great show but I thought the prices were too high to send in a donation. I wish they would have offered the Blue Ray DVD as a separate item. I would have made a donation for it...the information on how they created some of their songs in the studio (for the greatest album of all time), was great! :cool:

Take care, Larryz

I did end up buying the remix CD. It does sound different, but not DRASTICALLY different. You can hear the strings on "She's Leaving Home" better, and the bass guitar and drums; not that they were were inaudible on the ORIGINAL.....

Was it worth the $20 spent on it? Yes, I think so. I had never heard Pepper's on CD before, and it IS a really creative album. Lots of details I never noticed before, but that's largely because my musical ears and mind are better trained than they were 50 years ago.

Today I'm going to be playing flute along with it, just for fun.

Our local PBS station is doing its fundraising thing, and last night, hey aired the documentary about Sgt. Peppers. Impressive behind the scenes stuff regarding the technology and musicology of the sessions.

Bonus: Andy Timmons co hosting in the studio!

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

For the record, I turn 64 on June 1, and for the record, Paul McCartney DID write that song about ME....

Not only that but he wrote it abt you for the record !

BTW, this is the greatest pop album ever recorded.

Fans of Revolver & The White Alb, for completely diff reasons, might disagree.

Is it "milking the Beatles cash cow"? Of course it is, in a way, but no one is forced to buy it; and we can sample bits and pieces on the Net to hear whether we think it's worthwhile.

I think we'll get more of that in the next few years.

Apple's been on a tear (along w/ the Hendrix estate) similar to what PRN always did.

You can hardly find an actual © Beatles track on YTube, for example.

A year ago there were many, such as the rooftop scene from Let It Be, which I suspect will be re-released as a film at some point.

You can find actual Beatle stuff but beyond the XMas tracks, they're mostly live clips, TV stuff & off-track studio snippets.

As for mash-ups, hwere's 1 ya'll never here on an official release.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJepRNpaNz8

d=halfnote

Hey hey... I came home and my wife and daughter presented me with the vinyl copy of the new mix as an early Father's Day present (trying to beat me buying it myself)...

Sounds even better than the stream from Spotify set at high quality and resolution.

Drums!!!!

+1 You can't beat vinyl for bringing out the drums and sounding like a live band in your living room! :cool:

Yeah, I have some great sounding cds... but I swear analog (vinyl, tape, even cassettes), when you crank it up, does this thing where you "feel" an aspect of the bass drum, and the cymbals sound like they're decaying in the room... even on records that I know were recorded in ProTools cleanly. Then again, I think there's some wonderful sounding cds of acoustic guitar that make it seem like you're in the room with them. I could be suffering from placebo effects on both, but something about the formats to me can bring out something special in those 2 cases.

Last night on CBS news they did a mention of it's anniversary. What tickled me was that after the segment ended, the guy filling in for Scott Pelley smiled and said,

"Gave us PENNY LANE" and "STRAWBERRY FIELDS"! With a big smile on his face!

I shouted at the screen, "That wasn't until MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR you idiot!!" :D

Yeah, I know they were recorded around the same time, but still............

Whitefang

He was wrong to a degree... those were the first two songs recorded for the album sessions, and were covered in the special, and they decided to release them as a preview single instead of on the album, in England, at least. Typically in America, the record company would take the single they released before the record in the UK and add it to the album sequence, replacing what they thought were maybe the weakest or weirdest cuts... but the Beatles had gotten so powerful and saw their albums as statements that starting with "Pepper's" they didn't allow any stateside meddling with the finished product anymore. So those songs were added to "Magical Mystery Tour" by the band later in the year.

My point abt Giles Martin not being a member of the band had to do with his diff attitude than his father, who was actually the 3rd most vital member of The Beatles.

Same thing applies to his production sensibilities.

Martin Snr being much closer to the music John & Paul grew up with.

As for pointing Giles's then-unborn status (which is beside the point, anyhow) so insultingly, I'd say that anyone who touts their Beatles knowledge but displaces SFields & PLane so badly in the chronology pause before sneering at anyone.

... the guy filling in for Scott Pelley smiled and said,

"Gave us PENNY LANE" and "STRAWBERRY FIELDS"! With a big smile on his face!

I shouted at the screen, "That wasn't until MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR you idiot!!" :D

d=halfnote

Paul loves what Giles does, which is why he was given the go ahead with this... and he also served as his father's "ears" in his later years when he lost the ability to hear high end (as we all will with age) and then as his hearing overall began to fail.

But this new mix is very faithful to the original UK mono mix that theBeatles participated in, just using stereo space... and it is truly dazzling.

I know a lot of Beatles snobs... they were skeptical and calling it a phony money grab... until they bought a copy. Now they all are in heaven. It is the mix they've always preferred and remember but in 3D. And now some of them are raving even more about the 5:1 surround Blue Ray mix.

I used to run my record player into my mono mixer and then play it back mono through my guitar amp. It would make the room come alive and I preferred mono over stereo when I wanted to get carried away...now I'm in love with the sound of blue ray DVD's through my little surround sound system. I would like to get a copy of Sgt. Pepper on DVD... :cool:
Take care, Larryz

Look around. You'll probably find it somewhere MUCH cheaper than the $150 donation PBS asked for in order for THEM to send it to ya! ;)

Stereo, Mono, makes no big difference to me, as there really isn't much stereophonic "FX" (like on a lot of old HENDRIX stuff)even on the initial CD re-issue. And since it's said The Beatles preferred the Mono , who am I to argue? ;)

As for the "chronology" issue, no "mix up" there. Reading carefully, one would notice it was related that the NEWSCASTER was implying SGT. PEPPER "Gave us 'Strawberry Fields' and 'Penny Lane' " when indeed they weren't ON "Sgt. Pepper". Neither song showed up on an LP until the U.S. release of MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR later that year.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Paul loves what Giles does, which is why he was given the go ahead with this... and he also served as his father's "ears" in his later years when he lost the ability to hear high end (as we all will with age) and then as his hearing overall began to fail.

Don't misunderstand, I'm not denigrating Giles Martin but pointing out that his attitude may not be the same as George Martin's.

As far as McCartney, while I do respect him for what he did in & after The Beatles, I think it's true that he's taken the opportunity both here (& earlier) to kinda revamp perception of the band to his benefit.

d=halfnote

As for the "chronology" issue, no "mix up" there. Reading carefully, one would notice it was related that the NEWSCASTER was implying SGT. PEPPER "Gave us 'Strawberry Fields' and 'Penny Lane' " when indeed they weren't ON "Sgt. Pepper". Neither song showed up on an LP until the U.S. release of MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR later that year

However, as already stated above (& generally know), both were originally intended for SPLCB & released as singles & vids close to a year earlier.

To consider them part of MMT is a mis-perception.

d=halfnote

Of course it is. I don't however, recall anybody making the claim they were.

What's a shame about the vids is that probably a lot of people didn't get to SEE them until many years later. There was really not many(if any) media outlets that showed a lot of that kind of thing back then.

Whitefang

What's a shame about the vids is that probably a lot of people didn't get to SEE them until many years later. There was really not many(if any) media outlets that showed a lot of that kind of thing back then.

Whitefang

I recall seeing the Strawberry Fields video when the single came out. Might have been shown on the Ed Sullivan show.

Scott Fraser

I never saw it until the later '70's on some PBS show about The Beatles. This was before they got into doing those "pledge week" things. I don't think anybody CALLED them "videos" at that time though. And I never saw the "Penny Lane" one until I bought the ANTHOLOGY box set.

Whitefang

Archived