Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I'm interviewing Les Paul tomorrow

Originally posted by Jeff Da Weasel:

Got a phone interview with the man himelf for one of my clients.

I'll tell him you all say hello. :)

- Jeff

Good luck. My dad met him last year. Watched him play at the Iridium in Manhattan, outside Lincoln Center on 66th. Signed his 1994 Gibson Les Paul Studio, too. Nice, kind, intelligent, witty fellow. Lives somewhere in Jersey. :)

Don't ask me exactly where. I'd as soon give all of you the Vulcan Death Grip! :D I don't know exactly where, anyway. ;)

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Jeff Da Weasel:

Got a phone interview with the man himelf for one of my clients.

I'll tell him you all say hello. :)

- Jeff

Tell him that he needs to go to Gibson USA and tell them that they need more competitive pricing and a more consistantly high quality to anything that has his name on it. Also, some of us "poor" people want access to the 1959 sound without taking out a second mortage or going through a divorce.

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Originally posted by no_talent_Bum:

Originally posted by antimatter:

2 cool!

What an honor, to be named after a great Guitar. :D

Um. I'm pretty sure he designed that guitar, and then named it HIMSELF. So, I don't know if it was named AFTER him, so much as named BY him.

Am I wrong here? I thought he designed it. What do I know.

Even worse, could you imagine growing up and discovering that you were one of the guys on Mt. Rushmore? I mean, talk about pressure!! ;)

Originally posted by Anderton:

Hey JEff, will you be able to post juicy excerpts from the interview here?!?

Well...yes. But I'm between the proverbial rock and hard place in this regard.

I'm doing the interview for a PR story per the needs of a manufacturer. However, I was not directly hired by the manufacturer to do so. I was hired by their PR agency, who uses me on a freelance basis for tech writing and stories which require an in-depth knowledge of audio history. But I'm not at liberty to say who the manufacturer is (due to this third-party business relationship), and the focus of the interview isn't on what I'd consider to be the core aspects of Les (inventing the electric guitar, the multitrack and so on).

But there should be some nuggets I get as part of the interview which will have nothing to do with the topic for which I'm contacting him, knowing Les. So yes, I'm happy to recount some of that type of stuff here.

- Jeff

Originally posted by Phait:

Cool! Tell him Fenders are better though. :D Kidding, I like both but I've never had the chance to play a Les cause I'm left-handed.

http://home.comcast.net/~robeggen/influences.jpg

Cool Beans ! - everyone with any ears has a little Les Paul in their collextion...yes you've been judged, hehe go out and get some if you haven't heard that cat play...cool tech too - understatement...

Don't forget to give him a link to the forum so he can smack us around a little.

(don't give him the link to the wrong forum by mistake - if you know what I meeeeeeaaannnn :D )

Jeff, you lucky weasel! Be sure and tell him, simply, "Thanks" on my behalf.

You all know about his technical innovations. Who here knows the story of the car accident in 1948 that nearly cost him his right arm? The doctors wanted to amputate, and Les said (in his most fluent French, I'm sure), "No, you're not." He had the doctors set the cast on his arm at the appropriate angle so he could keep playing until they took it off. He said that even if he never bent his elbow again, he wanted it playable. There's a mildly famous picture of Les posing with "The Log," his prototype solidbody guitar, with a big ugly cast on his right arm. Even after all that, he can still pick circles around guys half, a quarter, or even an eighth his age. And he's, what, eight hundred years old by now? He's like the frickin' Yoda of the guitar, man! :thu: Been kicking ass and taking names for nearly a century now.

If you can find it, I strongly recommend the Cinemax Sessions show filmed at his 75th birthday celebration, titled "The Man Changed The Music." (No shit.) It features EVH, Steve Miller, BB King, David Gilmour, Stanley Jordan - mmm mmm good!

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

OK - off the top of my head - I like the thing he did with Chet Atkins a while back in the 70's - like Avalon, some of the pop multi-tracking with Mary Ford in the 50's - like How High the Moon, some of the cool 40's jazz he did with the Les Paul Trio...

...I already packed my music collection so I'm guessing...

smokin ! :thu:

Archived