Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

RIP Allan Holdsworth

Dave Bryce

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just opened up FB and saw this. Truly an amazing talent. I think the first recording I had of Holdsworth was a cassette copy of Road Games with Jeff Berlin on bass. I couldn't believe how fluid he sounded and his harmonic inventiveness. Will be missed.

Nord Stage 3 Compact, Korg Kronos 61, Casio PX-5S, Yamaha DXR 10 (2)), Neo Vent, Yamaha MG82cx mixer and too many stands to name.

Sad news! I loved his work with Level 42, which was different for him.

This being a great example:

[video:youtube]

[video:youtube]

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

http://i.imgur.com/1JuBLkj.png

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

http://i.imgur.com/dxvYSa0.png

No obits. Very sad to see him go. But surprised the only info is in forums and the message of love from his family. I didn't think he was that obscure.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Very sad day- he was a hero of mine and I have been a big fan since UK, I even own two Holdsworth Carvin/Kiesel guitars (though more because I agree with him regarding headless instruments; I can't even remotely play like him). Very glad I got to meet him at NAMM last year...he influenced everyone.

Damn. The thing that opened my ears to him was a tune that featured him and some shred guitar guy. Shred Guy soloed first and wanked all over the place, then Allan played three long, beautiful notes that absolutely destroyed everything Shred Guy had just done. That was a big lesson for me.

Terrible news. I looked forward to his annual visit every year.

Last time he was here he hung at the bar with a group of Berkeley musicians after the show. He offered hysterical stories of the road and free advice for their music careers.

A true original

Nord Grand, Nord lead 4, Roli Seaboard 49, Moog Matriarch, Moog One

I remember listening to the first U.K. album in high school and being blown away by his playing. I had the opportunity to briefly meet him, what a sweet and kind gentleman he was. Time to weep a bit and play some Holdsworth.

Peace

I remember listening to the first U.K. album in high school and being blown away by his playing. I had he opportunity to briefly meet him, what a sweet and kind gentleman he was. Time to weep a bit and play some Holdsworth.

Same here. That intro and solo on Nevermore was what did it for me. Then I heard IOU and the Synthaxe/Oberheim period and life was not the same again.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ao70mYTLn1Q

I got see Allan live, cooking away on the Synthaxe and was mightily impressed. I loved his U.K. work, of course, but solo, he was like a slightly more stately Adrian Belew. Hearing him was incredible and uplifting in general. I'm always amused at how great guitarists and percussionists impact me as a keyboardist. Its all of such a similar cloth in some ways; then an Allan comes along and raises the bar yet again. Its deeply appreciated. Here's one of my Holdsworth favorites, among the other good ones posted.

"Well, the 60s were fun, but now I'm payin' for it."
        ~ Stan Lee, "Ant-Man and the Wasp"

Allan was my favorite electric guitar player, bar none. Only met him once, at a meet-and-greet at Yoshi's.

He was the rarest of guys, in that he was truly a unique voice in a world of sounds-the-same.

Very, very sad.

:o

f##k !

He was the guitarplayer who impressed me since I became interested in more complex music and ´til today.

Listened to him w/ Softmachine and Gong early 70s, then U.K. and with Bruford, had seen him live w/ Tempest and later in a trio w/ the young Chet Wackerman where he used the Synthaxe and Oberheim Xpander.

I really liked the band w/ Wackerman, Haslip and Alan Pasqua.

big loss !

R.I.P.

A.C.

Allan was, bar none, my favorite guitarist and one of my favorite musicians. He was revolutionary, inspired so many. His approach was unorthodox and the results were legendary.

I was an Allan groupie in the '80s, after he went solo. Any show in NY area, me and my buddy were there, lined up hours early. I remember one time, my buddy and I brought a six pack of Samuel Smiths Oatmeal Stout for him to a Bottom Line Show. Alan Pepper, Bottom Line owner, wouldn't let us bring it in, so we left it into the car. Between sets, he had his roadie go to our car and get the beer. Next set he was proudly displaying a bottle on stage. Also one time I was talking with him and I had a copy of a cut he did on a Jon St. John record. He had never heard it, so I gave him my cassette from the car.

I had the pleasure a sharing a great many conversations with Allan, especially in my drinking days in the '80s. Before shows, between sets, after shows. He was the most humble and down to earth man. Last saw him in '06 at a small club in Piermont NY, again we shared a few minutes outside the club smoking cigarettes.

The later years were rough on Allan. His divorce forced him to sell everything. He had given up for a while, but in the middle 2000s was back on the road. As always, he was self deprecating. He always thought so little of his ability and was never remotely satisfied with where he was at musically.

The last few years, every couple of months, I would check for a web presence and see if there were any shows nearby. But there was little word from him these last few years.

I have a copy of a tab/notation book, "Reaching for the Uncommon Chord", with transcriptions from some of his early solo material -- cuts from Metal Fatigue and Road Games. His chord shapes were incredible. Some have been able to approach his solo technique, but his harmonic prowess was never touched. The first time, my buddy and I saw him live, we could not believe how he would just rip through these unorthodox chord changes with voicings that nobody was doing.

He was always an individualist, an outsider, just searching for ways to express that music inside of him. He took the hard road but boy did he make some great music.

Sad, sad day. I don't drink anymore, but if I did, I'd have a good stiff stout with a big head and drink a toast for Allan. A kind, gentle, humble artist and visionary.

Mills Dude -- Lefty Hack

NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!

This is though to the heart. I have every one of his recordings, have studied a few of his songs, have heard him live several times, briefly chatted with him once. Like many musicians, my love and admiration for his playing was immense. A giant musician, a real original, a humble person, a gentleman.

Not long ago, another British musician who I loved, pianist Gordon Beck, passed away... he had played with Holdsworth several times in the 80s. So many geniuses, so many important artists who have shaped our collective musicianship are dying, and so many of them too soon. Very, very sad.

Rest in peace Allan.

No words on the loss of this kind, getlemanly genius. I will never forget being in Boston and having a friend put on "Believe It" and saying "wait till you hear this guitarist".

My brain was completely rewired that day.

Thank you, dear sir, for sharing your gifts with us.

Please contribute to the gofundme for his "final expenses"

Your beauty resonates thru the cosmos.

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

My first Holdsworth exposure occurred in high school while sifting through my brother's vinyl. Back then regardless of cover art I would give it a spin even though I this guy on the cover was a balladeer like Cat Stevens:

[video:youtube]https://youtu.be/Km5XXO_VnTw

Wow - what an album... what a lineup! Who was that guitarist?!?!

We are all blessed to have heard at least one measure of Holdsworth.

Plus he was a fellow Trekkie:

Live Long and Prosper you will not be forgotten.

What???

This is a huge wake up call. Life is fragile.

The guy was a major innovator. Because of the bad rep fusion got in later years I am sure that he did not get the recognition that he deserved.

I had a dream last night I would see a bad R.I.P. today .

Archived