Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Has pop finally ran out of tunes?

nickd

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's always been interesting to me that it's just the old I-vi-IV-V in a different order. That plagal cadence (IV-I) at the end of the "Four Chords" progression really shouldn't be as satisfying as the V-I at the end of the doo-wop one, but somehow it is. I think the I ends up working as both a tonic and the V of the IV simultaneously.

Leave it to me make to make it weird.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

Ugh, any use of that progression is an instant "turn it off" for me. If I catch myself using it I strike myself in the head 10 times with a mallet (it's easy to slide, the darn chords sure do go together for sure...)

I give the music of my childhood and before a pass, hypocritically. I grew to like those before I realized the insidious nature of the beast.

(Seriously almost every fricken song uses it....)

It's nothing new for music makers to nod to each other, the past and present when writing material. What's new is money - if there wasnt monetary gain in copying what worked before in pop and suing the copier we probably wouldn't talk about this as much. That being said, is Ed Sheeran particularly lazy about finding new ideas, or is he just really good at finding a hook that will work again today? No reason to ask for permission or share his winnings until someone actually calls it out and takes it to court. Is it damaging to his persona to be in court all the time? Is his perceived "genius" hurt when he seeks a license from the moment he decides to borrow a "hook"?

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

No...see Andrew Bird, Michael Penn, Ani Difranco, Sufjan Stevens, The Honeydogs, Wilco, Arcade Fire, Stuart Davis, Fiona Apple, Jon Brion, Jason Falkner, and a thousand bands I've never heard of.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

Archived