Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hollow vs. Semihollow Electrics

Delta

Oh yeah, I forgot that Peerless makes thin bodies as well; I'm more familiar with their excellent full bodied hollows, which are a bit like Ibanez's.

Mark,

Yeah, IMO, Peerless and Eastman make some very fine instruments at reasonable prices. I'm kinda' drooling over that Peerless Hardtail. In addition, Lou Del Rosso has had designs made for him by Eastman including two semi-hollow models for $2000. Man-oh-man, I'd like one of them too! But, I'm finished buying guitars. My collection is complete.

Afterthought:

I've heard very good things about their thin line hollowbody the Sunset as well

If you play cool, you are cool.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Ibanez AM 153 intrigues me. In my price range. Thoughts?

There is no doubt that the Ibanez Artcore/Artstar line represents an excellent value. I own an AF-125 Custom and it is a fine example of what a good $1000 archtop should be. Gorgeous, plays great (thanks to an expert setup by my guitar tech), sounds very good. I am planning on swapping out the "Super 58 Customs" with some better pickups in the future. It's not that the Ibanez pickups are bad, they're just "meh".

I guess the bottom line here is that Ibanez makes a nice $1000 guitar and you'll probably be very happy with it. Personally, I would prefer a Peerless or for a little more money, an Eastman, but that's just personal preference.

The Ibanez AM 153 intrigues me. In my price range. Thoughts?

I own an AS153, which appears to be the same in every respect except made with maple top & sides instead of bubinga used for the AM153. It's a very well made guitar, with excellent detailing, clean fret ends, comfortable all up & down the neck. It's beautiful. Looks & feels very luxurious.

Scott Fraser

I love my semi-hollows (Gibson ES 335, PRS SE Semihollow, Hamer Duotone) and my one full hollowbody (Guild Starfire I). Feedback isn't too much of an issue with any of them, but the Guild being a thinline probably helps it some in that regard.

Some of the Epiphones are wonderful, but I would recommend staying away from the Wildcat series. I wanted to like them, especially when GC had a really great sale on them, but they were just dead, both in feel and sound, to me. Tried a few, and all were lifeless.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

I had reason to work on an Epiphone Elite 335 a few years agao and was deeply impressed with fit & finish - playability was ace and the tones excellent. I'm not surprised they were cut because they were undercutting the Gibsons.

Worth a try if you can lay hands on one. You can identify them by their more docorative headstock - a lot more like the original pre-Gibson model.

G.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

I had reason to work on an Epiphone Elite 335 a few years agao and was deeply impressed with fit & finish - playability was ace and the tones excellent. I'm not surprised they were cut because they were undercutting the Gibsons.

Worth a try if you can lay hands on one. You can identify them by their more docorative headstock - a lot more like the original pre-Gibson model.

G.

The Epiphone Elites I've seen for sale used have rivaled Gibsons in price. The hollow body archtop jazz Elites go for around $2000, while the regular Epiphones are in the $500-$600 range.

Scott Fraser

Yeah, that Epi B'way is the one my co-worker snagged a few years back, but not in burst (he doesn't like burst, and I've kind of grown away from that finish myself even though for years it was the ONLY finish I knew of on hollows and semi-hollows).

Looks like it sold during a hell week at work where I didn't check email or the internet until tonight after a run of 14-16 hour days. Oh well.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Godin is a great company; I owned several of their unique instruments over the years (Glissintar -- a fretless oud-like guitar; A4 Fretless Acoustibass; Synth Access MIDI Guitar w/ nylon strings, etc.).

Their arch-tops, however, don't appeal to me personally as they sound (to my ears) more like a flat-top acoustic maple jumbo Gibson, which I already own. :-) I don't know why that is; maybe it's just their choice of PUPS?

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Whoah, that new Epi model looks delicious! Didn't know about that one -- is it from this year's Winter NAMM show?

Yeah, the Epi Masterbilts are from the Nam show...I really like the way they use an acoustic pickup as opposed to a magnetic pickup. It gives you the original 30's archtop sound at a volume that can keep up with the rest of the band. It has a volume and tone control inside the lower F-hole. Nothing showing on the face of the guitar which keeps the acoustic look going. The 12 gauge strings are a little thick to my liking so if I do buy one, I will probably run 11's. Even though I'm really trying not to buy anymore guitars, I think I might just pull the trigger on this new concept guitar. It is made in Indonesia which I'm hoping will not be a problem as far as quality. But, from the reviews and pictures, it looks like Epi did not skimp on this model. And, I need at least one maple acoustic and with a solid sitka spruce top, it's going to be very hard to resist LOL! :cool:

ps. did I mention that ornate headstock, 30's style tuners, diamond fret marker inlays and that ebony fret board? :drool:

Take care, Larryz

I listened to the sound clip, and it really sounds authentic.

The woman who plays the main guitar in a local gypsy jazz band uses some off-brand I've never heard of, that looks VERY similar to this model, and uses an acoustic pickup. It sounds almost identical.

GC has a gazillion semi-hollows and full hollow-bodies today. They do indeed seem to be making a resurgence. And such variety too! That's a big change from the last time I saw many hollows in a store.

The 12 gauge strings are a little thick to my liking so if I do buy one, I will probably run 11's. Even though I'm really trying not to buy anymore guitars, I think I might just pull the trigger on this new concept guitar. It is made in Indonesia which I'm hoping will not be a problem as far as quality. But, from the reviews and pictures, it looks like Epi did not skimp on this model. :cool:

ps. did I mention that ornate headstock, 30's style tuners, diamond fret marker inlays and that ebony fret board? :drool:

Brother Larry,

As usual, I agree completely with your post. We really are "brothers from different mothers".

I also have difficultly playing a 12 set (I feel very guilty about this, because I know I should be playing 12's to get that Jazz(y) tone. I'm playing an 11-48 set pure nickel on my hollow bodies and an 11-49 set with a wound third on my semi-hollow Sheraton.

With regard to build quality, it would appear to me that Epiphone is taking more pride in the quality of their guitars than Gibson. I really would not consider buying a new Gibson given their lack of attention to Quality Control/Quality Assurance. I would certainly consider an Epiphone. That looks gorgeous!

Like you, I am focused on not buying anymore guitars. Although I often think about a Heritage H555 semi-hollow or a Peerless Hardtail (their ES-335 clone) or a Peerless Imperial (17" L-5 clone). I do not currently own a 17" hollow body. Mine are all 16. That Masterbuilt looks gorgeous. Like you, I'm drooling.

Regards.

Thanks for the insight Brother Fred and thanks to Mark too! The only thing worrying me is comments on the width of the neck. Pretty wide but friendly...but the bigger model is the one that grabs me. I may order one from MF as they have the best return policy if I find it just won't fit me. My Taylor necks (especially on the Nylons) are pretty wide and I'm very used to them. The nut width on the Epi is 1.69 (43m) so I think it's narrower at the nut than my Taylor 416 which is 1.75 (44.5m)...anyway, I'll keep you guys posted! Thanks again... :thu:
Take care, Larryz

The 12 gauge strings are a little thick to my liking so if I do buy one, I will probably run 11's. Even though I'm really trying not to buy anymore guitars, I think I might just pull the trigger on this new concept guitar. It is made in Indonesia which I'm hoping will not be a problem as far as quality. But, from the reviews and pictures, it looks like Epi did not skimp on this model. :cool:

Brother Larry,

As usual, I agree completely with your post. We really are "brothers from different mothers".

I also have difficultly playing a 12 set (I feel very guilty about this, because I know I should be playing 12's to get that Jazz(y) tone. I'm playing an 11-48 set pure nickel on my hollow bodies and an 11-49 set with a wound third on my semi-hollow Sheraton.

FWIW- and NOT to brag, 's just how it is- I really like medium to heavy strings; my idea of med/light Rock and Blues gauges for my Les Paul are .011" - .050", 10's or 11's for a Strat or Tele or the like, and as high as .014" - .059" for a flat-top acoustic. (12's seem too light on a flat-top for me! :crazy: ) 13's are easier to come by in the brands and types of acoustic flat-top strings that I like, though. I just like the feel- particularly, for my fingerstyle picking-hand, as it allows me the kind of dynamic range and response that I like.

I am also accustomed to a little tension when bending, and being used to that I can accurately pre-bend to the desired pitch with consistency when playing on a familiar feeling guitar. Lighter gauges feel too squirrelly to me! :D

Of course, that requires a good set-up, on a good guitar. But, so does playing with light and ultra-light gauges...

HOWEVER, I also believe that there is no wrong answer when it comes to string gauges; whatever a given player likes, for whatever reasons, that yields good results, is a good choice in string-gauge.

When I get myself what I deem a decent Jazz guitar, I'll most likely go with flat-wound strings, in fairly heavy gauges- most likely 13's or 14's. If you sound good with lighter strings than those and enjoy playing on them, then that's the right string for you!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

On acoustics and electrics I really like 10's. They are a little light for acoustics so I go for 11's on the acoustics. I love flat wound strings and it is hard to go back to any other string after getting spoiled by their smooth feel and absolutely no string squeak. They are a little dull (not as bright) compared to the other strings. I'm still running flat wounds on my electrics. To get closer to the smooth feel of the flats, I'm running 11-52 Elixir Polywebs on the acoustics. I prefer a 3rd string wrapped on both acoustics and electrics. I don't really bend much more than a 1/4 step, so I don't mind the thicker gauges. The Phosphor Bronze works very well with acoustic guitar pickups while nickel and stainless work very well on the electrics. +1 on the tone being another thing to consider, but I think the feel is more important for me as I can adjust for the tone. +1 on the string that works best for each individual. I've gone through just about all of them. For the Flat wounds, I run D'Adario Chromes. They hold up extremely well and are very well priced... :cool:

Ps. I pulled the trigger on the Epi Archtop...it will be a week or so before it ships as the case is on back order. I think I can wait...yeah, right! :crazy:

Take care, Larryz

Thanks JuJu! I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope it works out for me! I didn't know you were a lefty, but if they ever do make a left handed version I'll remember to tell you about it...I'll do a review on it after it shows up on my doorstep! :thu:
Take care, Larryz

Ps. I pulled the trigger on the Epi Archtop...it will be a week or so before it ships as the case is on back order. I think I can wait...yeah, right! :crazy:

Yeah, congratulations, Larry!

It's the Epiphone De Luxe Classic, Masterbilt Century Collection that you ordered, right? Tell us ALL about it once you get it!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Thanks Caevan! Yeah, that's the one, if you click on the SW link above that I posted on 2/25/17, You will see the write up, specs and pictures of it...I'll keep you all posted as soon as I get my hands on it. :thu:
Take care, Larryz

I don't know how good this guitar is but I want it.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/G5622TGG

I think I like the single cutaway better..... But if I decide I would rather install TVs in the thing I will probably be sorry.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gretsch-Guitars/G5620T-Electromatic-Center-Block-Semi-Hollow-Electric-Guitar-Georgia-Green-1380550823799.gc

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I'll probably be picking up an Eastman Ray Benson double cutaway thin line semi-hollow body center block guitar, once they come back in stock. Ebony fingerboard, short scale, 16" bout, 1.75" nut. Lollar pickups, nuff said. :-)

I'll probably be picking up an Eastman Ray Benson double cutaway thin line semi-hollow body center block guitar, once they come back in stock. Ebony fingerboard, short scale, 16" bout, 1.75" nut. Lollar pickups, nuff said. :-)

I haven't played that one, but, Eastman, yeah!

Scott Fraser

Archived