Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kawai VPC-1...only for piano?

Imagine

Do you or anyone here know if it's possible to put a keyboard such as the Kontrol S61 on top on the VPC?

As James indicated, the top is slightly convex, but I would think you could overcome that with some foam, or if the feet on the S61 are tall enough.

Sundown

Working on: The Jupiter Bluff; Driven Away

Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361

DAW Platform: Cubase

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi James, I just replied to your PM. :-)

I'll try the S61 on top and if that doesn't work properly, I'll buy a second their for my stand. That might be a good alternative. The legs on the S88 are pretty low, so I might run into a snag.

Thanks again for your help. I appreciate it.

Best!

Do you or anyone here know if it's possible to put a keyboard such as the Kontrol S61 on top on the VPC?

As James indicated, the top is slightly convex, but I would think you could overcome that with some foam, or if the feet on the S61 are tall enough.

I'll give that try, Sundown. I'm sure I'll be able to make it work. Thanks!

you can also buy glue on rubber feet of any thickness and height you like. ;)

What sort of setup are you going for, Imagine?

If you're plopping the VPC-1 in front/underneath a computer desk or studio furniture, the S61 might be on the desk top anyway.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Here's a link to my of my current setup. LINK

The VPC would replace the S90. I also bought a new On Stage stand which lowers a few inches. I think between the foam, glue on rubber feet or 2nd tier, I should be able to make this work.

Thanks Elmer.

Excellent. I'm seeing the desk where the S90 resides. Isn't it amazing what lengths we'll go through to get a comfortable position to play and edit/ access DAW functions you need a keyboard and mouse for? Tough nut to crack... I know I haven't solved it, although a track ball and a monitor/screen on an arm help.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

The S90/mouse/keyboard/monitor in the set-up took weeks to figure out. How right you are in describing what we do to make our own situation comfortable. I'm back to the drawing board again with the VPC and S61. I hope I can make this work.

Something tells me the glue on rubber feet might come in handy. :)

Hey guys, I'll be connecting the VPC via USB to my Mac Pro. When I get the S61, do I connect MIDI OUT from it to the VPC MIDI IN so I can utilize the wheels on the VPC? I've never done this before, so it's a little foreign to me.

Also, will I be able to use the features on the S61, or do I have to connect the S61 to the Mac Pro via USB to make that work?

Thanks a lot.

Dean, the S61's MIDI OUT can be connected to the VPC's MIDI, and (depending on the routing options defined in the VPC Editor) both MIDI streams (including wheels, assuming they are transmitted via MIDI) will be merged and output through the VPC's USB port.

However, while I don't have any direct experience I expect that the S61 controller software may require the board to be connected to the computer via USB in order to utilise all the features.

Cheers,

James

x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

From the looks of it, I think both keyboards need to be connected via USB and in order for the VPC to work with wheels, the S61 has to be connected as you described, via Midi.

Thanks for the info and help, James.

Hey guys, I received the VPC last week, and I gotta say, it's one impressive keybed. I knew immediately I had the right keyboard when I started playing it. Amazing!! There's no turning back to anything else. I traded the NI S88 for the 61. Much better built quality.

But with all this joy, comes a little pain. Before the VPC set-up, my Apple keyboard and mouse sat in front of the S90, so typing and mouse usage wasn't a problem. Now the mouse and keyboard sit on top of the VPC, so reaching out to use the mouse 'especially', is adding pressure and straining my back left shoulder and neck, causing pain after a half hour.

I've been looking online to find the right keyboard tray, but it seems most trays are screwed in below a desk. I'm looking for a 26" across and something that will support both a full length Apple keyboard and mouse.

The link below shows a before and after set-up.

Any suggestions? I'm still looking but if you have any thoughts regarding the perfect tray, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Keyboard Set-Up

Hey James, thanks!

The S90 keyboard was on an original On Stage stand which did not have an option to lower, so I bought the lastest On Stage stand and was able to lower it so that the VPC sat on it comfortably to play. The s90 was always a tad too high. If I use the same tray built for the S90, my legs would touch the bottom of it in the new setup. In this new setup, the Apple keyboard would have to sit right below the white keys, which is why it makes it difficult to get the right tray.

Hi,

I 'd like to have the same set up...VPC1 and S61 to use for mod/pitch wheel duties. Could you confirm how you've set up the midi on the S61 so that it you can use it's mod wheel and still access all the features of the S61 in Komplete, hopefully without any extra gear, midi boxes etc. And would you say

build of the S61 far better than the S88?

Also, how are you balancing the S61 on top of the VPC?

Thanks

Niven.

Ps....How are you finding the "modwheel digital sliders"? Are they smooth...whats the calibration like?

Hi Hiven,

Midi is easy. I'm not using my Midi interface any longer. The VPC is connected to my Mac Pro via USB. The S61 is connected to the VPC via Midi cable, and the S61 is also connected to the Mac Pro via USB to access all the features.

The S61 is much better than the 88. First off, the keybed on the 88 is a hindrance. There's a rubbery action when pressing down on the keys and the weight isn't right. Too heavy. From what I understand, they use a Fatar TP/100, which is by far their best. Also, another major factor is that the keyboard makes a snap, crackle and pop sound. When you press down on the left or right side of the keyboard, it makes a horrible sound, so when you play the S88, you sometimes hear that sound, and this occurred on (2) S88. When I brought the keyboard back, the sales rep said people have been returning the S88. Other people have said they like the S88, but if you're particular about the keybed as I am, the S88 is a no go.

On the other hand, the S61 is much better built and no snap, crackle and pop sounds. :) And you get all the same features as the S88. It's also a Fatar keybed, but a decent one. Great for organ and synth leads, etc...

The S61 keybed is sitting on the back-end of the VPC. The back part of the S61 is sitting on a table behind the VPC. Although, as soon as I figure out what to do with the keyboard and mouse, I'll be putting the S61 completely on the VPC. The mouse is sitting on the VPC, so reaching it every few seconds/minutes is making my back sore.

The digital wheels on the S61 are great. Sure, it takes a little getting used to, but I don't mind them at all.

The beauty about all of it, is the VPC keybed. I tried a lot of keybed's, over 50 and Kawai got this right. I mean, all you're paying for is a keybed, but worth every penny.

I love Kawai digital keybeds but when comparing acoustic grands, Yamaha sounds and plays better. Don't know why that is but Kawai makes better keybeds for etronic boards.

Triton Extreme 76, Kawai ES3, GEM-RPX, HX3/Drawbar control, MSI Z97

MPower/4790K, Lynx Aurora 8/MADI/AES16e, OP-X PRO, Ptec, Komplete.

Ashley MX-206. future MOTU M64 RME Digiface Dante for Mon./net

Which Yamaha are you referring to? I have the S90 and the VPC plays and feels much better than S90.

He was referring to acoustic grands, saying Yamaha's acoustic grand actions beat Kawai's but Kawai's digital keyboard actions beat Yamaha's.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

The beauty about all of it, is the VPC keybed. I tried a lot of keybed's, over 50 and Kawai got this right. I mean, all you're paying for is a keybed, but worth every penny.

Not sure which were included in the 50 you mention above, but for truly piano-like action and dynamics in a portable keyboard you need to include in your comparison the Lachnit Mk22, which is a Fatar TP/40Wood (= Fatar TP/400 action with wood keys) that has been enhanced with an optical sensor system and regulated by hand by former Bosendorfer folks (http://www.flkeys.at/Products.html). There is also the Ravenworks Studio II, which is a VPC-1 that has been modified to feel like a Ravenscroft piano (https://ravenworksdigital.com/product/the-studio-model-ii/). They are both a lot more expensive than a VPC-1, of course.

Which Yamaha are you referring to? I have the S90 and the VPC plays and feels much better than S90.

He was referring to acoustic grands, saying Yamaha's acoustic grand actions beat Kawai's but Kawai's digital keyboard actions beat Yamaha's.

Yes, I agree with this totally.

Not sure which were included in the 50 you mention above, but for truly piano-like action and dynamics in a portable keyboard you need to include in your comparison the Lachnit Mk22, which is a Fatar TP/40Wood (= Fatar TP/400 action with wood keys) that has been enhanced with an optical sensor system and regulated by hand by former Bosendorfer folks (http://www.flkeys.at/Products.html). There is also the Ravenworks Studio II, which is a VPC-1 that has been modified to feel like a Ravenscroft piano (https://ravenworksdigital.com/product/the-studio-model-ii/). They are both a lot more expensive than a VPC-1, of course.

Well, there are too many to list, but it came down to a few. Yamaha CP4, Kronos, Studio Logic and VPC. IMO, and this is very subjective, I think the VPC has an incredible key bed. Sure there are more expensive key beds and perhaps better, but in my quest for a keyboard I'd enjoy playing, the VPC definitely works for me.

Archived