Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Mellotron samples in recent workstations?

Odyssian

Hello to the old timers! Long time no post for me...

Anyway, I've been out of touch with new keyboards on the market for many years now. Can anyone suggest a low cost workstation with Mellotron samples built in?

I know the Korg Kross has Mellotron samples, and the 61 key is priced in my range.

Are there any other workstations (is that term still used?) in that price range? Anything in the past few years (priced $600 or less) would be perfect.

Thanks for any recommendations!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
$17 iPad app, $35 adapter, and you're done.

Assuming, of course, you have an iPad. Even if you don't, a used iPad 3 with the two items above still come in under your price point.

Sven's suggestion is an excellent option.

There were hundreds of "Mellotron" sounds. It depends on what you're looking for. Most keyboards that contain some Mellotron samples tend to focus on flute, violins, brass and choir. The Omenie M3000 HD is under $15 for the iPad and has the Streetly tapes as source material (King Crimson tours with this app for Mellotrons).

Korg Kronos 61 (2); Roland Fantom-06, 2015 Macbook Pro and 2012 Mac Mini (Logic Pro X and Mainstage), GigPerformer 4.

Thanks for the iPad suggestion. I don't own a tablet of any type, and I know very little about Macs. I won't rule this option out if it proves to be cheap, easy to use, and foolproof for live playing.

Thinking it over.... Having another workstation would benefit me by having an additional keyboard to share duties with my Triton while playing live. The additional sounds (besides Mellotron sounds) would be welcome too.

The Mellotron samples I'd be looking for are choirs, strings and flutes used by 1970s rock bands like Yes, etc. We are playing Roundabout, and Siberian Khatru might be added to the set.

Since the Korg Triton era, I've been so out of touch with the new keyboards on the market, I don't know what's what anymore...

Inasmuch as I think:

1) your budget is out of line with current "workstations"

2) you don't actually need a "workstation"

3) there's really no single keyboard on the market that I feel does justice to the entire library of Mellotron sounds (nor should there be, but that's a whole other discussion)

...you should buy the SR-JV80-08 "Keys of the 60's & 70's" card from Bernmeister in this thread and find a nice cheap Roland JV- or XP-series synth to slot it into, and you're done, with cash left over.

Hi Sven, maybe a workstation isn't necessary. I really would just like to have Mellotron strings and choirs in my arsenal.

I was impressed with the Mellotron strings in the Korg Kross I saw at a Guitar Center. I didn't stay long enough to listen to the Mellotron choir on it. I also like the fact that it, and other newer keyboards are much lighter than my Triton. The Triton is a beast to carry around in my old age!

Thanks for the iPad suggestion. I don't own a tablet of any type, and I know very little about Macs. I won't rule this option out

You don't need to know anything about Macs to use an iPad.

Based on the sounds you need, another IOS app to look at could be Super Manetron, which has the virtue of running, not only on iPad, but also iPhone and iPod Touch. The iPod Touch is cheaper than the iPad.

Thinking it over.... Having another workstation would benefit me by having an additional keyboard to share duties with my Triton while playing live. The additional sounds (besides Mellotron sounds) would be welcome too.

Although not a workstation (i.e. no sequencer function), the aforementioned Kurzweil SP4-7 is a good choice for a low cost board with Mellotron.

The least expensive board with decent flute and string mellotron sounds might be the Micro-Korg XL+. (Has to be the + version.)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Nothing helpful for me to add but tron threads are rare here. Just wanted to say a friend recently bought a M4000D and I have had a blast playing it.

The iconic strings, flute, and choir raise the hairs on your body, and the rhythm loops are gigglicious. The thing sounds GREAT.

Moe

---

It doesn't help much but since it hardly ever comes up,

the Nord Mellotron stuff is really good too.

After using it for some time now I notice a lot of

strings and such on records are the Mellotron samples.

Not just the old Moodies style that we all know.

It's still some of the best recordings for getting the true vibe

of the instrument.

And the rhythm backing tapes are a hoot to play along to.

Great for corny game show gigs.

John

There is a Mellotron add-in package available for Korg Module on the iPad. I use Module extensively, have over 300 different patches with all of the add-ins - excellent quality, simple to use, featherweight iPad - Module will even run on my iPhone 6.

Demo video:

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Kurzweil have good mellotron sounds - you might find a used SP4-7 in your price range

A few demos here:

http://kurzweil.com/product/sp4-7/audio

Or YouTube has loads of demos

+1

Kurzweil is an excellent source for Mellotron sounds. One of my bands plays Kashmir, and I've contemplated pulling my PC3X out of retirement just for this tune, it's that good. Never quite got to that point, however...

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Thanks everyone for the replies! I didn't know about the MicroKorg XL+, or the Korg Module and other Ipad apps. I know the OS requirements of the apps would need to be considered if I buy an older IPad.

I wonder how convenient, and more importantly... stable using an Ipad live would be? Also, are there stands or "holders" for the iPad to where it can be propped up for ease of use live?

Hoochie - yes, a used Nord Electro 3 or Electro 4 is on my dream list for the Mellotron and organ sounds. It's out of my price range though. Maybe someday.... :-)

Nothing helpful for me to add but tron threads are rare here. Just wanted to say a friend recently bought a M4000D and I have had a blast playing it.

The iconic strings, flute, and choir raise the hairs on your body, and the rhythm loops are gigglicious. The thing sounds GREAT.

Got one myself a few months back (the rack version). Totally worth the $.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

There is a Mellotron add-in package available for Korg Module on the iPad. I use Module extensively, have over 300 different patches with all of the add-ins - excellent quality, simple to use, featherweight iPad - Module will even run on my iPhone 6.

Demo video:

I totally agree. The Korg Module has excellent Tron sounds. Can't beat it, especially for the price. It's now a part of my performance rig (Mojo with an iPad running Korg Module).

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Thanks everyone for the replies! I didn't know about the MicroKorg XL+, or the Korg Module and other Ipad apps. I know the OS requirements of the apps would need to be considered if I buy an older IPad.

I wonder how convenient, and more importantly... stable using an Ipad live would be? Also, are there stands or "holders" for the iPad to where it can be propped up for ease of use live?

Hoochie - yes, a used Nord Electro 3 or Electro 4 is on my dream list for the Mellotron and organ sounds. It's out of my price range though. Maybe someday.... :-)

Been giggling with an iPad for a couple of years. Never had a problem. It also sits real nice at the top right corner of my Mojo.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Forgot to ask - is a audio/MIDI to iPad interface the only thing I'd need if I go the iPad route? What interface is a good one to use?

There are numerous good options.

If you have an existing MIDI-to-USB interface, you should be able to use it with the Apple Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter, that's probably the least expensive way to go. You'd use the headphone jack as the audio out. (You can also get a DSAN LSP1 or LSP2 if you want to convert that to XLR and a hard volume control.)

Alternatively, Korg PlugKey is nice all-in-one device provided you don't need to have your iPad send MIDI back to your controlling keyboard (i.e. for patch changes) since it lacks a MIDI Out. Other than that shortcoming, it's nice in providing standard 1/4" jacks and a convenient volume control.

iConnectMIDI2+ is more versatile than the above.

One thing about all of these is that there are ports provided that allow you to continue to power the iPad while using it, so you don't have to worry about running out of battery power.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Kurzweil have good mellotron sounds - you might find a used SP4-7 in your price range

A few demos here:

http://kurzweil.com/product/sp4-7/audio

Or YouTube has loads of demos

+1

Kurzweil is an excellent source for Mellotron sounds.

Dave Weiser doing what he does. :2thu:

Ah thanks man! Making the Mellotron presets was one of the highlights of my work for Kurz. The PC3 set has a bunch of 'em, mostly named after songs/bands, including a dead ringer for Siberian Khatru. With a bit of programming got a spot on Strawberry Fields (Chamberlin) as well.

These PC3 sounds will load into other models, including SP4 and Forte.

Side note: the poor guy who had to tune and loop these samples nearly lost his mind during the process!

I have one and concur :like:

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

Hello to the old timers! Long time no post for me...

Anyway, I've been out of touch with new keyboards on the market for many years now. Can anyone suggest a low cost workstation with Mellotron samples built in?

I know the Korg Kross has Mellotron samples, and the 61 key is priced in my range.

Are there any other workstations (is that term still used?) in that price range? Anything in the past few years (priced $600 or less) would be perfect.

Thanks for any recommendations!

You could get a Roland JV 1080 with Keys of the 60s/70s card for around $300.

Nice Mellotrons and nice low price.

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

• 1 year later...

I have one and concur :like:

My wife bought me a Mellotron Micro some weeks ago and I love it! Lightest Mellotron ever! I've already used the mandolin sounds for a project and rehearsed with my band using it.

"The devil take the poets who dare to sing the pleasures of an artist's life." - Gottschalk

Soundcloud

Aethellis

I use to have the old VST, wasnt that convincing.

Now I use LASS & Tina Guo, Olympus Choirs and Orange Tree Flutes through a Strymon Pedal with 100% Mix and LoFi settings.

Dont consider it a Melotron but it adds a LoFi texture that really stands out and cuts through in a mix.

Never cared for LoFi Brass unless it was hits like in Owner Of The Lonely Heart so I have a few I trigger from Bidule that I use.

You dont really need to have a Melotron although I think they are a fantastic niche product, they record really well too.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

Yep, the roland card would be good enough for me. I happen to own one which is inside a jv 1080 that I did not switch on for 10 years .I also have a jv 1010 which is slightly jounger and still works fine. Recently I read a thread that there are some bad capacitors on old roland cards so I am hesitating to put that card in my jv1010 which I am using very often. My GSI gemini has better melotron samples but it has 2 slots as the name implies and I need those for other things ( organ , ep s)

Archived