Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Oh, no. Arranger question...

Adam Burgess

Bit background, if I may? [sorry. This turned a bit long... into a few questions, a mini take on some stuff and another question...]

So, since I sold my Stage 2 and Kronos last year... I just had to get another Kronos - this time a 73RH action one (88 was just too heavy). Finally getting used to it. Never had a 73 in my life.

Not doing many band gigs these days - it's all duo stuff. If it a band thing, I'll hire something. Still have all my old backups for Nords and Kronos.

Last week I made the mistake of trying some drums and KARMA out on one gig and the singer loved it so now she wants rhythm tracks on everything hah! (A real piano at a gig stays as real piano and vox only).

The Kronos sounds are great, and I love the thing, but not easy to tweak these live (and, as we know, KARMA is not an arranger...) because Miss Singist doesn't always know what 8 or 16 bars is etc... Or even 5/4 or 4/4 for that matter - but she is great at everything else and we're gigging lots.

For one, I miss not having a second board on top, so I went to try a few boards the other day. Korg PA300/600 and PA3X, and Roland EA7 and BK7.

PA3X just a bit pricey and don't want another 76/73 thing. Nice keybed, though. The others seemed easy enough to use. All of them seemed hit and miss recognizing 9th chords. Maybe i was fingering them wrongly...? All sounded fine for what we're doing; mainly pop/house/dance verging on jazz.

Didn't get along or connect with the Roland BK7 - hated it from the first touch. But, the EA7, I really, really like for 'some' reason. Sounds fine (like a Roland has for the last 400 years), liked the two screens and the kinda independence between the rhythm and patch sections.

So, if I was to buy one - I've narrowed it down to the PA600qt or Roland EA7. I'm in the Middle East and be nice to try and cater for Indian/Arabic stuff now and again if we can. Both around $1000. The more 'modern' (last 5 years?) styles were nicer on the Roland. Liked the jazzy stuff more on the Korg, but not by much. Can always MIDI into the Kronos but that means some forethought and prep.

So... Another angle... Should I try Band In A Box? Or just go for the Roland which I connected with? Been using the Mac for some tracks and it's fine. Was always opposed to computers on stage but been a necessity for the dance-y stuff and it's working fine. It's tough doing this way, because, yet again - singist doesn't get 'structure'! Keeps me on my toes to keep it together - especially playing stride, because I'm not that good at it. But that's another story...

Sorry for the ramble. Feel free to pick up on anything you've experienced.

Adam

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you liked the EA7 see if you can locate a BK9. Designed for live preformance and only 16 lbs. I've used Arrangers from day one for solo and duo work and the BK9 will be my last.

There are some that are a lot more money but really won't make that much of a differance in your preformance.

Good luck with the Diva, oops, I mean singer.

Also consider the Casio mz-x500', it's an arranger with pads, sampler, and lots more.

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

I don't think Band In A Box is ideal for arranging on the fly. It doesn't really have the live flexibility to allow you to comp for an extra bar or two, or take an extra chorus. The arranger really excels in this situation.

Some of the better arrangers allow you to create your own styles. I'm not sure whether you're using a DAW, MIDI files or MP3's on the Mac, but usually MIDI files can be imported into the arranger.

Band in a Box is not designed for 'arrangements while you play'. You pre-enter and save the chords, style, fill-ins, etc. and then simply hit play and your song will play from start to finish. That works fine but the down side is you're stuck with the arrangement you programmed. If a song is going well and you to stretch it out or the opposite and you need to end it smoothly, you really can't. Another big downside is relying on a computer at the gig.

An arranger keyboard is perfect for what you are doing, because you are in complete control. Once you are familiar and comfortable with the panel layout, interjecting a fill-in on the fly, repeating a chorus, or muting/unmuting the various accompaniment tracks offers the spontaneity that you don't get when simply playing to pre-recorded tracks. Speaking of accompaniment tracks, typically there will be a rhythm (drum) track, a bass track, and 3-6 chordal tracks. Many times the chordal tracks can get kind of hokey and become very monotonous. Try muting everything but drums and bass. Your are going to be playing with your right hand anyway so let that be the additional accompaniment. When I used to do gigs with an arranger, this worked well for me.

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

When you say rhythm, are you looking for just drums? Just throwing this out there... have you ever heard of a Beat Buddy?

I have one and love it. Not sure how hard it would be to work up for something live, but may be a worthwhile option.

MainStage; Hammond SK1-73; Roland XP-80, JV-90, JV-1080, JV-1010, AX-1; Korg microSAMPLER;

Boss DR-880; Beat Buddy; Neo Instruments Ventilator; TC Electronic ND-1 Nova Delay

Thanks guys. I did try the BK7 but didn't really connect with it. The EA7 I liked a lot more. The mixer for the accomp tracks on there is really nice.

Thanks, also, for the heads up on BIAB. Maybe not what I want. I'll try a demo, however.

Friend of mine mentioned the Beat Buddy. Looks nice but can't find one here to try.

She's a bit of a diva but great. Apart from her lack of rhythm, she's fine!

why is the yamaha arrangers not on your list of arrangers to check out? for example psr-s770, s970? A used Tyros can be had for a grand.

I ask because I believe these are the most popular arranger keyboards, with largest number of resources, extra styles, sounds, expansion packs etc. And the built-in sounds and styles sound fabulous.

hang out with me at woody piano shack

I have no experience with it myself, but if you're interested in a software solution, instead of BIAB, isn't that sort of what Ableton Live was designed for? Maybe some users can chime in.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Archived