Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Greatest guitar player TODAY

Big Dave

Now that we know Eric Clapton has hand issues, and we have lost several guitar players of late. Who is your 'greatest' right now?? Guys like Joe Bonamassa, Steve Vai, Eddie Van Halen -maybe too old?- Carlos Santana, still Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck.???? Who do you like??

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No surprise to anyone here, but I'm still voting for Fripp, Frisell, McLaughlin and Steve Hackett. I've had a chance to see them all within the last few years, and they're still amazing, each in his own way.

Of course, when I'm out driving to jobs, give me Angus, Slash, Joe Perry or EVH, no question. IMHO, Metal is the best Music for navigating urban traffic nightmares.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

Who knows. Probably some person no one has ever heard of.

There are some Rock guys that can play now but when I was young rock players as a group were just bad. I remember hearing the Woodstock album for the first time. I liked Santana but in general the only guitar player at Woodstock I ever thought was a "player" at the time was Alvin Lee.

In the 50s through 70s non-Rock genres had way more technical talent. Country guys had players like Leon Rhodes, Joe Maphis Phil Baugh, Merle Travis, Chet etc...... Guys like Wes Montgomery, Joe Pass, Barney Kessel, Johnny Smith etc ..... Bluegras guys always were smoking.

Early Early Rock 'n' guys like Danny Cedrone who played on Bill Haley's first record was no slouch. Always liked James Burton. The British Invasion and later 60s stuff were like a Seattle Grunge anti technique sort of movement for Rock guitar with a lot of loud half asses blues stuff. Energy and feel superseded technique. I never liked Hendrix until I was about 40 years old. I liked his more obscure non radio stuff like off Axis.

What got me into Rock stuff was Return to Forever, especially Romantic Warrior. I played a lot of Beck, Wired, Blow by Blow, stuff he did with Jan Hammer. I played Fusion in the 80s.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

John McLaughlin

Pat Metheny

Earl Klugh

John Pizzarelli (sic)

Steve Howe

Chris Smither

Daryl Stuermer

Jan Akkerman

Trevor Rabin

Any of the newer and younger guys I'm not familiar with so I couldn't add any of 'em.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

For those who don't know me, I have a serious aversion to any list that contains the word "greatest".. Too many variables like genre,style, group or solo, etc.

But you did add "who do you like" ,,,

So I'll toss out Derek Trucks,. Brad Paisley, and Gary Clark Jr. And Vince Gill

I agree with some of the names thrown out there. I'll mention Joe Satriani, Steve Morse, Michael Landau, David Gogo, Jim Thatchery, Allan Holdsworth, Eric Johnson, Mike Stern, John Mayer, Philip Sayce, Sonny Landreth, Zakk Wyld, Bill Connors.
"Let me stand next to your fire!", Jimi Hendrix

In the area of popular music there's no question.

Jeff Beck.

His progress has taken him beyond technique in to the area of pure musicality.

For pop gtr he's the only one to pick up where JH left us &, strangely (or maybe not), he's done this on technique rather than electronix.

Chk this

[video:youtube]

& this

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blp7hPFaIfUhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blp7hPFaIfU

Sometime look at the way he combines bending methods.

d=halfnote

Michael Schenker I do not like his 80s rehashed music so much

as his raw ability to play leads and solos with out forgetting

the songs value.

this may be the most perfect solo ever in a song context, kicks in at 2:30 and goes to the end sort of.

and this is a great example of a song with great feel

Just my opinion

1997 PRS CE24, 1981 Greco MSV 850, 1991 Greco V 900, 2 2006 Dean Inferno Flying Vs, 1987 Gibson Flying V, 2000s Jackson Dinky/Soloist, 1992 Gibson Les Paul Studio,

I've got to go with Jeff Beck as well. He can make his guitar sing like no one else. And the thing that I most admire about Jeff Beck is that from the time he left The Yardbirds, he has played and recorded what he wants, instead of what some record company wants. Imagine having that kind of control and independence over what you do, and being able to make a good living at it.
I rock; therefore, I am.

If I had to pick one in rock guitar, it would be Beck, but there are many other talented players, way too many to list.

I don't really know if we NEED to have one guy as the baddest mofo on the block, anyway.

The era of 'guitar hero" as a major cultural phenomenon has largely passed, anyway. It just doesn't seem to be as important to mass culture as it used to be. Which, of course, doesn't mean that there aren't lots of people striving for excellence on the instrument.

I have to go with Eric's summation there. There does seem to be less interest in singling out the "baddest" guitar player in modern rock bands these days. And there's another consideration...

There are excellent players in well known, high profile bands that never take "center stage" solo-wise and such, but play excellently nonetheless.

Dave Matthews is one of these.

But also, DOC'S right. In the movie forum I'm in, there too, is a tendency for some to declare "the greatest" some movie or actor that that they LIKE the "best".

I like a lot of the guitarists mentioned by others here, but AM unfamiliar with some also. and BTW....

Did anyone mention JOE PERRY, NEIL SCHON, MICK TAYLOR, STEVE MORSE or MIKE BLOOMFIELD? Or do the have to be "still alive"?

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Other than the 3 I mentioned above, no one has mentioned any of the great female players. It's not football, it's guitar. Only 1 female player on Rolling Stones top 100, and she ranked way to low.

Maybe the post should have said greatest ma!e guitar player today.

End of my rant.

Good point JuJu, my main female guitarist would be Nancy Wilson. I love it when Heart does a Zeppelin cover in concert. Also way back when I saw a band named 'Thunder Mama'. They played out of the Western Washington area. Don't know who their lead guitarist was but man she was awesome. Have never heard anything more about them.

Killing two birds with one vid. Louie Shelton and Mr. 335. Between these two a whole bunch of hit songs out of LA. Guys like these and Mason can play everything.

[video:youtube]

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

While the entire idea of "best" is a bit beyond what's good for music, i must point out that several of the lists posted here are , apparently compiled from out of date players or performers.

GET WITH THE REAl WORLD, will Ya ?

Just say'n.

:rolleyes:

d=halfnote

Archived