Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: I may be a turkey forever

J. Dan

I've always hated sites like photobucket, soundcloud, dropbox, etc, and my issues have come to fruition. For years I hosted stuff on my own band domains which kept it all under my control. Since I ditched all the bands and run nothing anymore, I started using sites like Photobucket. My most recent attempt to upload a different profile pic led to them not letting me login. Seemed buggy - "login with Facebook" then "page cannot be found" that kind of stuff. Tried different browsers. Finally tried resetting my password and got an email, but it was trying to reset my FACEBOOK password. I don't want to change that, I just want to get into photobucket. This isn't like my banking info or SSN, it's just pictures. It shouldn't be this hard. I'm done with them and all of the F-ing predatory sites. Gonna get my own shared server and go from there. So I may be a turkey for a while.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Shit software is shit software. Photobucket hasn't changed much from the time when MySpace was worth figuring out how to use, and that was shit too. Some of these more modern sites are comparatively a pleasure to use. Paid and advertising paid sites can be trendy and convenient. But no, none of them are going to give you the kind of control building your own site will - and with HTML5 and CSS 3 the old issues about how a site will appear to different browsers and screen sizes and audio video player support has improved a lot. On the other hand, the social networking you get from a Facebook, Twitter, Soundcloud etc. has a better chance of getting your band viewed, heard, noticed by someone, anyone really than just a website alone. Especially if you aren't paying Google to come up at the top of searches.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Photobucket worked when I changed my pic for Thanksgiving and now doesn't work. Something changed. Not to say it didn't already suck. It went from just sucking to not even working.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

It's been running like shite for me for a few weeks now. They are also hammering users to upgrade to paid accounts lately. I suspect they are trying to figure out a way to pick up $ to update the site with a better UI and backend stuff so they can grow the company and move to profitability somehow. Can't charge people money for a shitty site. But need money to make the site less shitty. It's a catch 22!

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

FWIW, I use Imageshack for the low, low fee of US $2.50 per month. Have never had any problems. Not affiliated at all but wanted to put it out there as it was suggested to me by another respected forum member years ago.
:nopity:

A respected forum member suggested Post Image which I have been using now for a bit and have forgotten my pass word, so can get it easily enough.

Post Image

It even has choices when you upload (yes, you have to re-upload the one you want to get the choices) for avatar size for forums.

:)

I have been nearly driven to the point of insanity by passwords / email combinations ...trying to remember them....accessing websites and not knowing which combination I used,....or if I ever joined in the first place.... Or WHY I ever joined in the first place.

The best thing I ever did was to start using the 1 password app, which keeps all my passwords organised, easy to find, extremely safe and in one place and leaves me only one password to remember. It is, I believe, free on iOS devices, but it is so good that I paid for the Windows version as well..

"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

I must be the odd man out here. Free photobucket user for many years. Yes they have in past couple of weeks changed their login process to push you to use Social media to login. But apart from here I don't have a social media presence so I just logged in the old way with user name and password and it worked.

I find photobucket easy to use and easy to copy an image link to a post in this forum.

But I am not giving them any money and accept that it is a game of wits to keep getting it for free and prevent them from monetizing my metadata.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

I have been nearly driven to the point of insanity by passwords / email combinations ...trying to remember them....accessing websites and not knowing which combination I used,....or if I ever joined in the first place.... Or WHY I ever joined in the first place.

The best thing I ever did was to start using the 1 password app, which keeps all my passwords organised, easy to find, extremely safe and in one place and leaves me only one password to remember. It is, I believe, free on iOS devices, but it is so good that I paid for the Windows version as well..

Slightly OT

Why do you say 1 password is so safe? it is only one password?

Mine is memorized and long. How long is long enough? letters and numerals only.

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

1 password is the name of an application.

1 password shared across sites is not safe. I got burned by this when hackers broke into linked in a few years ago.

The best passwords are long phrases. Length trumps funny symbols if you understand the math. Correct HorseBatteryStaple is likely thousands of times better than anything you are currently using.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

1 password shared across sites is not safe. I got burned by this when hackers broke into linked in a few years ago.

A few years ago I also got burned using one passwords across sites when someone hacked into Origin and then used the email/password combinations they downloaded on the Sony Playstation site. They used my PS4 balance to buy EA Sports FIFA credits which they transferred to another user. I'm glad I did not have a credit card on file.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I still have a few pictures on photobucket, but a year or two ago I decided to pay someone like SmugMug a small annual fee for decent photo hosting. 500px.com was the other site frequently mentioned in the photo hosting thread at that time.

My SmugMug Site.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

It seems crazy to me to pay for image hosting when I can pay $2-$3 per month for a whole server that I can do whatever the hell I want with.....make a website, host ANY file, not just images, etc. Have a mail server with my own email address (actually hundreds of email addresses if I wanted them). I think I'll go back to doing that.

Dan

It seems crazy to me to pay for image hosting when I can pay $2-$3 per month for a whole server that I can do whatever the hell I want with.....make a website, host ANY file, not just images, etc. Have a mail server with my own email address (actually hundreds of email addresses if I wanted them). I think I'll go back to doing that.

This!

Moe

---

I have had the option of running a file server and mail server for $0 for many years. I have not taken up that option as I am not looking for a pro bono sys admin job to fill in my spare time.

Lot of time and effort to avoid having to enter a username and password to use photobucket for free.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

This is the one I used for my last band's web site.

JustHost

Dan

Imgur is by far the easiest and cleanest way to upload pictures. I don't even think they offer paid accounts, but it's generally the standard, people don't use any other sites nowadays. I'd give it a try before giving up entirely. I don't believe an account is even necessary

This is the one I used for my last band's web site.

JustHost

We use a similar local package for the band I am in. But someone still has to put in the effort to set it up and maintain it.

Plus when the hosting company gets taken over and the new owner ramps up the charges, or the service falls apart you go through the hassle of re-directing email and migrating your files, sites, domain etc.

For someone who has the knowledge, spare time and inclination all good.

I have had the option of running a file server and mail server for $0 for many years. I have not taken up that option as I am not looking for a pro bono sys admin job to fill in my spare time.

Lot of time and effort to avoid having to enter a username and password to use photobucket for free.

+1

Legend Soul 261, Leslie 251, Yamaha UX1, CP4, CK61, Hammond SK1, Ventilator, Privia PX3, Behringer 2600, Korg Triton LE, VB3M, B3X, various guitars and woodwinds, drum kits …

Photobucket worked when I changed my pic for Thanksgiving and now doesn't work. Something changed. Not to say it didn't already suck. It went from just sucking to not even working.

Speaking of not working much today, I am considering doing a " Parroty" topic , possibly

' I might have turkey sandwiches forever '

Of course, you have the first right of refusal, etc, etc.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

I thought this topic was about turkeys so I didn't look at it until now.
On the other hand, the social networking you get from a Facebook, Twitter, Soundcloud etc. has a better chance of getting your band viewed, heard, noticed by someone, anyone really than just a website alone. Especially if you aren't paying Google to come up at the top of searches.
We gave up our band web site some time ago. It wasn't getting us gigs and bookers didn't look at it. What they want to see is your promoting your gig at their venue on Facebook or other social networking sites and also in your email list. We have a (free) band Facebook page and we promote gigs through that page and also band members' personal FB pages. We also have our own email lists and send email posters and gig notices to those lists. We make sure the venue/booker sees the promotion we send out.
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

Archived