Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Delbert McClinton - Just a Little Bit.

CEB

I'm subbing at a private event Sunday. I was given a Setlist and keys. I found all the tunes but one. Just A Little Bit by Delbert McClinton. Anyone familiar with it? Is it the same tune as the old Little Milton / Rosco Gordon tune.

If so is Delbert fairly true to this version?

Thanks

[video:youtube]

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just to be a fly in the ointment, if you're a sub-in, why didn't the regular guy or the band leader supply you with an mp3, a link, or a chart? You had to source out your own material to help someone out?

Here for the gear.

Hell I don't know. It's old R&B. They probably figured I already knew it. 3rd party arranged for me to sub.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

When I moved to the left coast about 10 years ago I discovered they had a whole other set of R&B "standards" than the ones I grew up playing in the midwest. Same thing - they figured I'd know 'em too.

But when I started working with bands covering a wider range of material, the regular keyboardists and leaders made sure I had the right material.

Good luck & have fun, CEB.

Here for the gear.

Fairly true, I think. Delbert's recorded cover seems to be more of a shuffle. You can audition a snippet of it on iTunes:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/genuine-rhythm-the-blues/id6266757

I was able to hear enough of it in itunes to get the beat and arrangement. "Just A Little Bit" is kind of a blues band/geezer bar band staple. My main band does it and other bands I've been in have done it. It's a good R&B tune and beat. Delbert's version has more of a swing feel to it. I don't like it. I'm an old R&B purist.

Ooh Poo Pah Doo

These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

I like this instrumental version by Mike Finnigan:

Dang, I have that album, and forgot about it and what's on it. That would have come in handy with a band I played with earlier this year. I'll have to pull that CD out and refresh myself on it overall.

For that band, the singer had recorded a version of this tune for a CD that she put out before I even heard of her. For whatever reason, the performance sat on the 7th. (Instead of 1 3 5 7 7 6 5 it was 1 3 5 7... 6 5 or whatever exactly the riff is. I can't find her version on YT to share, sorry.) It wasn't terrible IMO, but for some reason, it drove the bass player we had crazy. He kept going off on how it was "wrong" and made us play it the way you hear in all these other versions. Nobody cared except him, and he was not the bandleader nor the MD. But I guess we changed it just to shut him up!

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Archived