Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: In Which I Say Nice Things About this Festival

MathOfInsects

I tend not to share too much--a personality trait, not a statement on KC or anywhere else. But I would just like to say...what a Festival this one has been. A beautiful city in Europe, accommodations in a five-star hotel. Every meal and mile paid for. There were three stages, each one backlined with a B3 and a Nord Electro 4 and/or Stage EX, plus (optional) an RD700 and a CP4. Soundman knew the intricacies of each, and asked if I wanted a footswitch or half-moon, then matched my preference from stage to stage. Legend has it that Jon Lord played one of the three, the "blue one."

Sound was stellar. People were not just attentive but downright rabid. Shows were, to put it mildly, packed.

Some of these things are competitive, some are cattle calls; this was neither. Much mutual admiration here. To a man, each member of the band made friends with instrument-mates and others in the other groups. There are a few players I will want to mention to some of you privately--some Nashville, Chicago, and Detroit guys. But safe to say, the 4am jam sessions-after the last official act performed each night--were not stocked with your average pick-up crew.

What a great, soul-repairing week. This one was truly a gem. I don't know what good it does to mention this here, except to say that KC has been on my mind as the various keysers among us have met/conferred/mutually admired.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like a great gig.

I think the thing that would benefit folks here the most would be advice as to how you landed the gig and what traits you feel led to it - professionalism, talent, etc.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I am just a sideman along for the ride. But some of these are crappy motels above fried-chicken restaurants. This one...wasn't. And the "vibe" is the thing everyone is talking about here. I don't know how they pull it off, but it's been a really amazing week.

To sum it up in a single story: the organizer made a speech tonight at the end of the festival, thanking the other staff, who (it turns out) are all volunteers. He said, "Everything we make goes into bringing you (artists) here. We prefer it that way. The day I make something from this is the day I quit doing it." Tears and applause, especially considering the speech was made in a hotel that costs something like $700/night for a room, and we're all in our own rooms.

This is sounding #humblebrag to me, but I don't mean it that way. It's more the Enthusiasm of the Convert: It's the kind of event that reminds you why you shouldn't quit yet...

www.joshweinstein.com

18 hours of travel later....

Al--the Festival has plenty of material posted. I'll PM.

cphollis--I can't be too smug, because we still have some motels-over-the-chicken-place gigs coming up too. We're going to Minnesota this month. MINNESOTA IN NOVEMBER! But...yes, it was one of those "one for the memory-books" gigs that make the grimier ones worth it.

www.joshweinstein.com

Archived